Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting guns decommissioned

Options
  • 15-03-2016 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

*Abbreviated post to protect anonymity of the person on whose behalf I'm asking*

So - if someone had some old guns that had been in the family for ages but nobody any longer will be eligible to have a license, what (if anything) can be done with regard to getting them decommissioned?

I assume only a registered firearm dealer can do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

Merrion wrote: »
    *Abbreviated post to protect anonymity of the person on whose behalf I'm asking*

So - if someone had some old guns that had been in the family for ages but nobody any longer will be eligible to have a license, what (if anything) can be done with regard to getting them decommissioned?

Guns should never be decommissioned.

If the owner no longer has use or interest for them, pass them along to someone that does.

Post an ad for a free gun in the for sale section and make someone's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

I'll float the idea (as I would agree with this) , but we aren't dealing with a rational situation here...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

To have the gun(s) decommissioned you need to bring them to a registered firearms dealer/gunsmith and have them alter the gun to the extent that they can never be used again. This means a permanent change to the mechanism of the gun(s) such as firing pins removed, barrels drilled/plugged, etc. Once this is done you get a letter from the RFD/Gunsmith and inspected by An Gardaí. If they are happy, they'll "sign off" on the work.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭OllieNorth

You also need a letter of authorisation from your super to have it in your posession. This letter is only valid for one year and then needs to be renewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

FISMA. wrote: »
    Guns should never be decommissioned.

If the owner no longer has use or interest for them, pass them along to someone that does.

When my old man passed away, I was left the cuff links and the gold watch that he almost never wore except to a wedding every 5 years on average.

His Mossberg was his pride and joy, and I had no hope of ever getting a license and have a wonderful wife who would never have a usable gun in the house.

The only choice was to have it decommissioned through a registered gunsmith, and ask the super for permission to keep it every year.

It was worth a few pound when I had it done but I would never have sold it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bluezulu49

Merrion wrote: »

If the guns are usable I would advise that they be passed on to others to use.

I came across a rifle in south county Dublin whose owner had died. The family were told they would be refused a license and had it decommissioned by having the firing pin removed and the drilling of about a dozen holes in the bottom of the barrel up to the bore. This work was done by a gunsmith. When the work was completed permission to keep the rifle was refused and it was destroyed. This was an early post ww2 rimfire which was in stunning condition and eminently worth keeping as a working firearm.

Better in my view to take high quality photos as a keepsake and sell the gun on or even give it away to be used for the purpose for which it was made than have it destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Sold on to (licensed) neighbours for next to nothing - thanks for your help in exploring the options.

Advertisement