Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ultimate Thrash Albums (not from the "Big 4")

• 15-03-2016 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Been on youtube lately trying to reclaim my youth. Missed out on the albums first time around, as opposed to the bands, because back then folks, you got one album, and you listened to it for months, before you could save up and get another! :D:(

One criticism I have of 80s thrash albums is the dated production on lots of them, but you'd get over that when you hear the classic riffs.

But classic thrash albums aren't just confined to the 80s. They made some in the 90s, 00s, and currently hopefully.

Looking at bands like Overkill, Kreator, Testament, Sacred Reich, Exodus, Forbidden, Accept etc what would you consider must have albums by these types of bands? I'm forgetting other bands too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Annihilator - Alice In Hell

9222-alice-in-hell.jpg

Absolute classic and personal favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Makes me wish I started a thrash metal covers band instead of playing cheese these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

In no order or otherwise

Everything by Death Angel, I love Act 3 and I love all their new stuff too.

Kreator - Enemy of God is their ultimate masterpiece imo.

Witchery have some great albums, Restless and Dead and Don't Fear the Reaper.

You mentioned Testament but an album of theirs possibly not on your radar that I always go to is the Gathering, heavy modern sound.

I love everything by The Haunted up to The Dead Eye......thats 5 albums!

And one of my favourite modern thrash bands that will rip your face off is Warbringer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Testament The Formation of Damnation defo Machine Head Burn My Eyes and Sepultura Arise.

Kreator are top drawer but tbh Coma of Souls aside these days I find I actually prefer their newer output (Violent Rev,Enemy of God,Hordes) than their older releases.

Just checking out Death Angel. Yup. Now where to get the time to listen to it all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

One Kill Wonder by The Haunted is blistering from start to finish, brilliant album and far and away their best output.

Konkhras Weed out the Weak is also excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

One Kill Wonder by The Haunted is blistering from start to finish, brilliant album and far and away their best output.

Controversial! :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Slaughter in the Vatican - Exhorder
    Years of Decay - Overkill
    Handle with Care -Nuclear Assault
    Nothingface -Voivod
    Pleasure to Kill -Kreator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

The Ultra-Violence by Death Angel is one of the best thrash metal albums ever recorded. I can't believe their drummer was only around 12 at the time.

Dreamweaver by Sabbat is a masterpiece in my opinion. Contains some of the best lyrics ever put to a metal album and some fantastic guitar work from Andy Sneap.

Seven Churches by Possessed also deserves a mention. Even though it can be considered as one of the first death metal albums it still had its feet firmly placed in thrash. Still sounds ferocious 31 years later.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The Ultra-Violence by Death Angel is one of the best thrash metal albums ever recorded. I can't believe their drummer was only around 12 at the time.
    Seconded!
    Seven Churches by Possessed also deserves a mention. Even though it can be considered as one of the first death metal albums it still had its feet firmly placed in thrash. Still sounds ferocious 31 years later.
    I had thought of this.
    The Eyes of Horror might more approachable though. Both great records!

I'd also add off the top of my head...
    Exodus Pleasures of the Flesh
    Exodus Fabulous Disaster
    Nuclear Assault Survive
    Vio-Lence Eternal Nightmare

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭JackieBauer

Dark Angel - Darkness Descends. ****ing mental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭RayCon

Some you may want to explore ... :cool:

1. Suicidal Tendencies - How Will I Laugh Tomorrow
    2. Nuclear Assault - Game Over
    3. Metal Church - The Dark
    4. Flotsam and Jetsam - No Place For Disgrace
    5. Sacred Reich - Ignorance
    6. Coroner - No More Color

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

More crossover than anything else and related to the big 4, but SOD - Speak English Or Die is one of my all time favourite albums

More crossover than anything else and related to the big 4, but SOD - Speak English Or Die is one of my all time favourite albums

Have it. Brilliant album. But could do with a remaster! On that note, Anthrax "Attack of the Killer Bs" is a brilliant album, even though it's just a compilation of bits and bobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Kreator - coma of souls / Extreme Aggression, saw them live twice class band
    Sacred Reich - American Way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Nea wrote: »

Saw them in Nancy Spains in Cork 20+ years ago :) happy days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Spectrum of Death by Morbid Saint is fucking ferocious. Makes Metallica and Megadeth sound like The Eagles.

Advertisement