Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water issue trim

Options
  • 15-03-2016 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭

Anybody else have an issue with discoloured mains water in trim this evening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

There was some work going on in the town and they burst the water main apparently. Some people with no water and others getting discoloured water

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭paul71

Twigster wrote: »
    There was some work going on in the town and they burst the water main apparently.

Thanks twigster. It seems clear now but i'll use bottled for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

No issue with discoloured water. Discoloured hair though... yes

On the mains water in Trim. My wife's highlights have been getting dulled and tinted green.

We're currently getting the water tested and waiting for the results. Waited until after St Patrick's day as there was no point wasting the greeness :D

Being serious though, just wondering if anyone has experience of this. She'd a similar problem in Ratoath but not near as severe (and it wasn't just her, some friends experienced similar). We're trying to narrow down the culprits as don't want to be buying a system that turns out to be a white elephant. So far I've tried a chlorine filtered shower head and an inline KDF filter that supposedly removes chlorine again and copper. No effect from either. We have been told various possible other causes such as low pH levels, chloromine, ammonia, iron and calcium so figured the best bet is to get it check anyway as it may be the system in the house or it may be the mains coming in.

Thought I'd post this here as a future reference and I'll report back anyway if we eventually get to the bottom of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Water results came back all clear. Among the tests were the following possible culprits: Ammonia, Iron, Copper, low pH levels. All within normal levels

You'll also be glad to know there's no ecoli either :pac:

The only other suspect that could not be tested for is the Chlorine which basically evaporates too quickly to be tested. So by a process of elimination it looks more likely that high chlorine levels are the issue.

My problem is I have tried a filtered shower head for Chlorine as well as an inline KDF filter, both of which are supposed to remove (reduce :confused: ) Chlorine.

The purpose of the testing for the other items was to make sure we don't purchase something that would effectively be just an expensive water pipe.

I'm thinking of trying a carbon filter where the mains comes in. Again this is for chlorine removal. Will have to purchase and fit myself as I don't want to be spending a fortune again on something that might not necessarily work. The removal of chlorine at least will benefit the rest of the household too I guess though I never had a problem with it.

Her hair has been fine since she started washing it with non mains fed water.

Advertisement