Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Ooo symths selling this for 200euros not bad but I have a feeling I would use it for a week then just leave it there once the initial buzz wears off.

But I would love to play resi7 in vr I’m thinking I can hang in there till ps5 comes along hopefully it’s still supported

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I'm seeing rumours abound on reddit RE: PS5 & PSVR2.

Apparently, PSVR 2 will not have a breakout box. It will be integrated into the console. The Unit itself will have a camera, as will the DS5, built into it. And there will be redesigned move controllers, as well as gloves that can be used to interact with objects in VR.

Guy reporting (or leaking) this info stated that Sony would not be at E3, PS5 development is ramping up. It's since been confirmed that Sony will miss e3.

Re: PS5 specs, all he could say was it would have a Ryzen 8 core, and cost $500

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

If you're going to wait for a VR headset, just get a Quest when it comes out in spring 2019.

No wires makes a huge difference. I have a Go and probably use it more than my Rift and PSVR together. Just so convenient to be able to use it anywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 206 ✭✭JustAYoungLad

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I'm seeing rumours abound on reddit RE: PS5 & PSVR2.

Apparently, PSVR 2 will not have a breakout box. It will be integrated into the console. The Unit itself will have a camera, as will the DS5, built into it. And there will be redesigned move controllers, as well as gloves that can be used to interact with objects in VR.

Guy reporting (or leaking) this info stated that Sony would not be at E3, PS5 development is ramping up. It's since been confirmed that Sony will miss e3.

Re: PS5 specs, all he could say was it would have a Ryzen 8 core, and cost $500

Kinda sucks. Non-hardware/performancd additions ramp up the cost and add nothing to core gameplay. I bet without the integrated psvr components it could be whittled down to 450.

Microsoft killed the kinect integration with the xbox one x and theyre taking a purist stance on hardware next gen. Hopefully sony doesnt get too big for its own head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Kinda sucks. Non-hardware/performancd additions ramp up the cost and add nothing to core gameplay. I bet without the integrated psvr components it could be whittled down to 450.

Microsoft killed the kinect integration with the xbox one x and theyre taking a purist stance on hardware next gen. Hopefully sony doesnt get too big for its own head

I think Sony have the right approach here. It sounds like they are doubling down on VR, and why not, the first incarnation has exceeded all expectations, it’s sold really well and received stellar reviews, and for something that was essentially a prototype, it’s been a tremendous success.

• Advertisement

kerplun k wrote: »
    I think Sony have the right approach here. It sounds like they are doubling down on VR, and why not, the first incarnation has exceeded all expectations, it’s sold really well and received stellar reviews, and for something that was essentially a prototype, it’s been a tremendous success.

You can replace psvr with kinect with that paragraph verbatim. You NEVER sacrifice core performance. Ps3 struggled last gen and so did xbox 1 this gen purely for these reasons.

Sony’s solution is literally the same attitude that made the ps3 a mess at the start. Obfuscating hardware and adding peripheral features that sacrifices the console’s cost and possibly performance.

Tbh im just curious to see who has the stronger hardware next gen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Except Kinect was garbage and failed miserably. Nobody wanted it and nobody made games for it.

Except Kinect was garbage and failed miserably. Nobody wanted it and nobody made games for it.

True that. PSVR is a lukewarm success but to dedicate hardware in the ps5 for it?

Mite be a hard reach since only a small fraction of ps users own one. Why should they foot the bill for a peripheral that statistically they will never use?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

PSVR getting very cheap now, I can see a lot of them being sold over Xmas 2018.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

True that. PSVR is a lukewarm success but to dedicate hardware in the ps5 for it?

Mite be a hard reach since only a small fraction of ps users own one. Why should they foot the bill for a peripheral that statistically they will never use?

I respectfully disagree. Once PSVR goes wireless and developers invest more in it, VR will be the future of gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I disagree. As much fun as VR is, putting helmets on for extensive periods to game just isn't going to be a standard thing for everyone.

faceman wrote: »
    I respectfully disagree. Once PSVR goes wireless and developers invest more in it, VR will be the future of gaming.

The amount of overhead data makes VR not viable for latency free wireless for another 2-3 years i reckon. Its going to miss next gen anyway unless theres a mid gen revision.

Maybe VR is the future. But right now a 84-3 ratio of Ps4 to vr means the core audience simply doesnt want vr. Im not trying to be pessimistic but thats statistics.

Therefore, to force the core customers to foot the bill of integrated VR hardware is simply arrogant. That 50 couldve been used elsewhere. The best case study for this is the ps3 and xbox 1. Both tried to cram worthless features, multimedia or peripherals and ended up in a price range that made the competitors more viable. (600 for ps3 and xbox 1 having lesser specs)

Its not a coincidence that the ps4’s success is due to it being marketed and developed as a purely core gaming experience.

The ‘future’ of gaming is still the core tbh. And that demographic isnt going to change overnight.

Its also not a coincidence that when don mattrick resigned they revised the xbox to be a pure gaming console and rescinded adapter for the kinect.

To boil it down: stop being arrogant. The market doesnt conform to your weird fetish of VR. it will always be a peripheral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

You seem to think Kinect and PSVR are comparable. Are you ok?

You seem to think Kinect and PSVR are comparable. Are you ok?

Do you have trouble reading about abstract/tangible concepts and conflating them into a cohesive narrative?

Kneejerk reaction = ‘Kinect isnt PSVR!’
    completely missing the point of the dichotomy of core/peripheral clash in consoles.

I suggest reading a book to improve your comprehension of arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Grayditch wrote: »
    I disagree. As much fun as VR is, putting helmets on for extensive periods to game just isn't going to be a standard thing for everyone.

While I'm a massive fan of VR.
    This statement is very true it's not going to be for everyone end of.
    I do think including the hardware in the console on the ps5 would be a mistake if it's forced down your throat.

coolisin wrote: »
    While I'm a massive fan of VR.
    This statement is very true it's not going to be for everyone end of.
    I do think including the hardware in the console on the ps5 would be a mistake if it's forced down your throat.

Exactly what im saying. The kinect was a financial success. But to the cost of the xbox one nerfing its own hardware to mitigate cost. Which lost them this generation.

I know gaming attracts low IQ individuals but this is really really basic to the point where microsoft dropped forced peripheral support for the xbox one x

Exactly what im saying. The kinect was a financial success. But to the cost of the xbox one nerfing its own hardware to mitigate cost. Which lost them this generation.

I know gaming attracts low IQ individuals but this is really really basic to the point where microsoft dropped forced peripheral support for the xbox one x

Wow, issues.

Someone's looking to be reported.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Wow, issues.

Alarm bells were going off when he put Kinect and VR in the same sentence. :D

Wow, issues.

Not really. Just saying why forced peripheral integration has caused the downfall of many consoles since the 90s

Alarm bells were going off when he put Kinect and VR in the same sentence. :D

Youre looking at it from a very surface perspective. Look at it really and you have peripherals. From a market perspective the PSVR doesnt even come close to the kinect. From a hardware perspective its an expensive peripheral that is redeemed by its lack of forced integration.

If they force the integration of psvr (which statistically speaking you probably wont even buy) then it will damage the ps5 the same way forced kinect integration damaged the xbox 1

Its myopic to say that forcing hardware cost to a console will somehow improve the overall sales of psvr. It might short term, but as we saw with the kinect people will choose core gameplay over peripherals any day.

• Advertisement

Youre looking at it from a very surface perspective. Look at it really and you have peripherals. From a market perspective the PSVR doesnt even come close to the kinect. From a hardware perspective its an expensive peripheral that is redeemed by its lack of forced integration.

If they force the integration of psvr (which statistically speaking you probably wont even buy) then it will damage the ps5 the same way forced kinect integration damaged the xbox 1

Its myopic to say that forcing hardware cost to a console will somehow improve the overall sales of psvr. It might short term, but as we saw with the kinect people will choose core gameplay over peripherals any day.

No, what’s myopic is coming onto a VR thread and expecting it’s posters to think that PS5/PSVR integration is a bad thing. Then insulting those posters who don’t agree with you.

No, what’s myopic is coming onto a VR thread and expecting it’s posters to think that PS5/PSVR integration is a bad thing. Then insulting posters those who don’t agree with you.

No need to get angry. I came here for rational argument. All i did was point out forced hardware integration is bad. Which in many case studies is proven right.

VR is cool and all but if i dont want it dont force me to pay for it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Grayditch wrote: »

Its not going to be a helmet forever though. Tech gets smaller.

Do you have trouble reading about abstract/tangible concepts and conflating them into a cohesive narrative?
    Not really. Just saying why forced peripheral integration has caused the downfall of many consoles since the 90s

your tone is coming across a bit troll-y... we're all up for mature conversation here in the VR forum without resorting to name-calling.

VR users probably have the highest IQ in gaming btw, as they made the wisest decision in getting a headset :D

faceman wrote: »
    Its not going to be a helmet forever though. Tech gets smaller.

Pointless rhetoric. Itll take decades before we get eyeglass vr with all the capabilities of current vr

your tone is coming across a bit troll-y... we're all up for mature conversation here in the VR forum without resorting to name-calling.

VR users probably have the highest IQ in gaming btw, as they made the wisest decision in getting a headset :D

Exactly. Since VR users is so smart then they’d realize that forced peripheral integration has been the cause of every console’s downfall since the 90s.

Im glad we agree

Exactly. Since VR users is so smart then they’d realize that forced peripheral integration has been the cause of every console’s downfall since the 90s.

Im glad we agree

Good thing that VR isn’t a peripheral then.

Good thing that VR isn’t a peripheral then.

I mean theres the rhetoric that its another platform, but functionally speaking its an addon to the main console

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

So anyone fancy a game of Firewall Zero Hour this weekend instead of engaging in pointless debates? :P

waveformIRL
    Is what you need to add me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't think anyone has said the psvr would be forcibly included with the ps5 (like kinect was with xbox one), but simply the processor unit would be within the ps5 hardware. While it might add a little bit extra cost, I wouldn't say it's comparable to what happened with kinect.

Anyway, I just got my psvr today and Holy Hell that's a lot of fun :D. Only played Superhot so far but have Astrobots, Wipeout, Rick and Morty and Batman VR ready to go. Just a few questions though:

I've read you should swap the hdmi so it's not always going through the processor unit, something about it disables hdr otherwise. Is this true?

How do you move in the menu with the move controllers?

Any other advice or recommendations would be appreciated!

Advertisement