Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 206 ✭✭JustAYoungLad

Penn wrote: »
    I don't think anyone has said the psvr would be forcibly included with the ps5 (like kinect was with xbox one), but simply the processor unit would be within the ps5 hardware. While it might add a little bit extra cost, I wouldn't say it's comparable to what happened with kinect.

Anyway, I just got my psvr today and Holy Hell that's a lot of fun :D. Only played Superhot so far but have Astrobots, Wipeout, Rick and Morty and Batman VR ready to go. Just a few questions though:

I've read you should swap the hdmi so it's not always going through the processor unit, something about it disables hdr otherwise. Is this true?

How do you move in the menu with the move controllers?

Any other advice or recommendations would be appreciated!

No thats exactly what i mean. MS and Sony are using the same processor die for their machines. The only way one can get ahead of the other is by mitigating cost/performance. Adding a pointless processor unit that only a fraction will use is how they lag behind.

This is the exact same case with the xbox 1

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No thats exactly what i mean. MS and Sony are using the same processor die for their machines. The only way one can get ahead of the other is by mitigating cost/performance. Adding a pointless processor unit that only a fraction will use is how they lag behind.

This is the exact same case with the xbox 1

No because the xbox one had the actual kinect camera included (well, as per the original release). Whereas if the ps5 just has the processing unit built in, it likely won't add that much cost to the console. The headset could then be bought separately for those who want it, but it would also be cheaper as a result, increasing pickup rates on it and usage of the processor unit, and therefore hopefully developers support it more.

If the cost doesn't increase that much (eg. Less than maybe 50 quid), the price disparity is going to be fairly negligible. The kinect added 100 quid to the price of the xbox one. That helped kill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

The amount of overhead data makes VR not viable for latency free wireless for another 2-3 years i reckon. Its going to miss next gen anyway unless theres a mid gen revision.

Maybe VR is the future. But right now a 84-3 ratio of Ps4 to vr means the core audience simply doesnt want vr. Im not trying to be pessimistic but thats statistics.

Therefore, to force the core customers to foot the bill of integrated VR hardware is simply arrogant. That 50 couldve been used elsewhere. The best case study for this is the ps3 and xbox 1. Both tried to cram worthless features, multimedia or peripherals and ended up in a price range that made the competitors more viable. (600 for ps3 and xbox 1 having lesser specs)

Its not a coincidence that the ps4’s success is due to it being marketed and developed as a purely core gaming experience.

The ‘future’ of gaming is still the core tbh. And that demographic isnt going to change overnight.

Its also not a coincidence that when don mattrick resigned they revised the xbox to be a pure gaming console and rescinded adapter for the kinect.

To boil it down: stop being arrogant. The market doesnt conform to your weird fetish of VR. it will always be a peripheral

Maybe the majority are waiting for price drops I know I am 200 is a sweet spot and it’s getting more likely I’ll be jumping on the vr train soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

biggebruv wrote: »
    Maybe the majority are waiting for price drops I know I am 200 is a sweet spot and it’s getting more likely I’ll be jumping on the vr train soon

Agreed. €400 is just too much right now to justify it.

The majority want fifa, madden and grand theft auto.

Experiences inherently removed from VR

• Advertisement

I never planned on getting one and had actually planned on getting myself an xbox one x this black Friday. But with the price reduction for psvr, I just couldn't justify getting a second console and all that goes with it, so went for the psvr instead. It's great so far, really happy with it. I think there's be greater uptake for it if it was this price or lower in sales, and if the architecture for it can be built into the PS5 at little extra cost, which I believe it likely could be, I think there'd be more who would go for it for the PS5 (as the headset would then be cheaper by default too).

I never planned on getting one and had actually planned on getting myself an xbox one x this black Friday. But with the price reduction for psvr, I just couldn't justify getting a second console and all that goes with it, so went for the psvr instead. It's great so far, really happy with it. I think there's be greater uptake for it if it was this price or lower in sales, and if the architecture for it can be built into the PS5 at little extra cost, which I believe it likely could be, I think there'd be more who would go for it for the PS5 (as the headset would then be cheaper by default too).

-Make the majority of people pay for uneeded peripheral
    -so the minority fraction doesnt have to

You understand why this is bad right?

-Make the majority of people pay for uneeded peripheral
    -so the minority fraction doesnt have to

You understand why this is bad right?

Again, there's a huge difference in the processing unit and the peripheral (headset). You can include the processing unit internally at a much lower cost than having it as an external unit sold with the headset, thereby also lowering the price substantially of the peripheral, which would entice more people to buy the peripheral and increase support for it.

You're arguing over an unknown quantity. Without knowing how much including the processing unit in the PS5 would add to the cost, it's not possible to judge whether or not it would be so detrimental to the majority as to not make it viable.

Again, there's a huge difference in the processing unit and the peripheral (headset). You can include the processing unit internally at a much lower cost than having it as an external unit sold with the headset, thereby also lowering the price substantially of the peripheral, which would entice more people to buy the peripheral and increase support for it.

You're arguing over an unknown quantity. Without knowing how much including the processing unit in the PS5 would add to the cost, it's not possible to judge whether or not it would be so detrimental to the majority as to not make it viable.

Its probably going to be expensive considering the upgraded hardware needed to support psvr 2.0 bandwidth.

Regardless of price tell me how adding bloatware to an already expensive machine is going to help the core audience? (Aka the reason the psvr enterprise exists in the first place) and not dissuade them from choosing a machine that caters to them?

‘Hey joe soap heres two machines both costing 500€. One is more powerful. One can take 50€ off ur vr’

‘Well Allan, im (statistically) really only in it for fifa and call of duty. I dont think its fair for me to pay extra for something im (statistically) never gonna buy. Guess im picking the xbox this gen!’

This is how it happened this gen and the last. Why do u think the ps3 revisions stripped down jts console? Because if it doesn’t benefit core audience then it hampers their experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Wow I opened a can of worms.

I think psvr2 should be a separate unit again.
    I will gladly pay full price again for the second unit.

I can barely play flat games anymore, the best gaming experience I've had in my life are in the last 12 months since I good my PSVR.
    Sure pc is great blah blah
    Let's not knock this until we try it anyway.

To be honest however I think psvr and ps PRO should be in the same box.
    People bought into that gimic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

The only way one can get ahead of the other is by mitigating cost/performance.

You're forgetting the fact that all PCs need to run VR is a USB port and additional HDMI port.

The PS4 uses a processor unit for PSVR because it was released without VR support in the box obviously.

So there should be no reason the PS5 will have a processor unit inside for VR, just a usb 3.0 port and HDMI port is all that's needed, or even better an all in one connector would be nice.
    Modern consoles basically use the same architecture as PC's anyway with the exception of the Switch.

From a cost perspective you should be focussing your argument not on the processor unit but on the tracking system the PS5 will use.

That will remain to be seen if it is shipped with the PS5 or the PSVR 2 itself.

Doge wrote: »
    You're forgetting the fact that all PCs need to run VR is a USB port and additional HDMI port.

The PS4 uses a processor unit for PSVR because it was released without VR support in the box obviously.

So there should be no reason the PS5 will have a processor unit inside for VR, just a usb 3.0 port and HDMI port is all that's needed, or even better an all in one connector would be nice.
    Modern consoles basically use the same architecture as PC's anyway with the exception of the Switch.

From a cost perspective you should be focussing your argument not on the processor unit but on the tracking system the PS5 will use.

That will remain to be seen if it is shipped with the PS5 or the PSVR 2 itself.

Thats a completely different premise. The argument was for the forced integration of bloatware. If said bloatware doesn’t exist then there is no issue

Thats a completely different premise. The argument was for the forced integration of bloatware. If said bloatware doesn’t exist then there is no issue

Bloatware is within software, I've never heard anyone refer to hardware as bloatware.

It won't cost that much extra to add a second HDMI port to the PS5.
    It could be useful also to use it for a second monitor or TV, that could open up a lot of possibilities.
    Sim racers use triple monitor setups for example, but I guess VR removes the need for it.

Would be amazing for 2 player games though something similar to the link cables you could get for earlier consoles where you could link 2 consoles together and each player could play on a separate monitor.
    It may be under utilized though since 2 player games are not so popular anymore.

Or better yet for non VR players to join in on a. VR game.
    It's been done already with the Play Room but id imagine the social screen has some lag.

Bloatware is within software, I've never heard anyone refer to hardware as bloatware.

It won't cost that much extra to add a second HDMI port to the PS5.
    It could be useful also to use it for a second monitor or TV, that could open up a lot of possibilities.
    Sim racers use triple monitor setups for example, but I guess VR removes the need for it.

Would be amazing for 2 player games though something similar to the link cables you could get for earlier consoles where you could link 2 consoles together and each player could play on a separate monitor.
    It may be under utilized though since 2 player games are not so popular anymore.

Or better yet for non VR players to join in on a. VR game.
    It's been done already with the Play Room but id imagine the social screen has some lag.

Bloatware seemed the right word to describe an unwanted peripheral. I know its software.

If there is ever a 2nd HDMI port in the PS it would be for hdmi passthrough. Probably not gaming related.

It's €200 in Smyths at the moment just in case you didn't know. Hard to tell from your post.

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/virtual-reality/virtual-reality-devices/playstation-vr-starter-pack/p/164471

If there is ever a 2nd HDMI port in the PS it would be for hdmi passthrough. Probably not gaming related.

HDMI passthrough is totally unnecessary, the PS5 will require an additional HDMI port in some shape or form to output the video in VR. Wether it will be a standard 2nd HDMI port or a proprietary connector is anyone's guess at the moment.

If it is a standard HDMI port it would allow PC users to use it on that platform more easily and help increase sales.

That's why I'm hoping the tracking system will be usb also, instead of a proprietary camera port currently on the system.

It would allow people to track the headset properly on PC, which is the main reason the PSVR never took off on PC.

I much prefer the comfort and adjustability of the PSVR to my Oculus Rift.

And a usb tracking system would remove the need to have to own 2 headsets.

HDMI passthrough is totally unnecessary, the PS5 will require an additional HDMI port in some shape or form to output the video in VR. Wether it will be a standard 2nd HDMI port or a proprietary connector is anyone's guess at the moment.

If it is a standard HDMI port it would allow PC users to use it on that platform more easily and help increase sales.

That's why I'm hoping the tracking system will be usb also, instead of a proprietary camera port currently on the system.

It would allow people to track the headset properly on PC, which is the main reason the PSVR never took off on PC.

I much prefer the comfort and adjustability of the PSVR to my Oculus Rift.

And a usb tracking system would remove the need to have to own 2 headsets.

The main reason the Psvr Never took off on PC is because sony keeps its hardware proprietary. Theyre basically the Apple of gaming. They didnt even want crossplay for fortnite.

Sony is unlikely to launch official support for the pc anytime soon. Their policy is so strict that you cant even use sony wireless headphones for your ps4. You have to buy a certified bluetooth adapter and THEN you can connect your headphones.

Its a mess really

• Registered Users Posts: 14,026 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Picked up the PSVR 2 days ago, and the few demos and free ps+ games I've been collecting are good, but I wasn't truly sold on it. Until I played AstroBot Rescue Mission. I'm gaming 23ish years, I've played all the gimmicks. This isn't a gimmick. AstroBot has shown the true potential of it. It is the future of gaming. No doubt about it. There's still some work to do, but imagine RDR2 or God of War in VR. I can't wait.

I know Supehot is amazing anyway, but I look forward to everything I've missed since it launched. Picking up the move controllers next week, so suggestions please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Superhot for sure, for me, it really gives a glimpse of what VR can be in the future. I'd recommend getting Farpoint with the aim controller too, that is an incredible experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Can't wait for Borderlands 2 any day now... oh and Beat Saber!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,026 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Oh man! Forgot about Beat Saber and Borderlands 2!! I picked it up at a good time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Don't forget Skyrim either

Picked up the PSVR 2 days ago, and the few demos and free ps+ games I've been collecting are good, but I wasn't truly sold on it. Until I played AstroBot Rescue Mission. I'm gaming 23ish years, I've played all the gimmicks. This isn't a gimmick. AstroBot has shown the true potential of it. It is the future of gaming. No doubt about it. There's still some work to do, but imagine RDR2 or God of War in VR. I can't wait.

I know Supehot is amazing anyway, but I look forward to everything I've missed since it launched. Picking up the move controllers next week, so suggestions please!!

Same here :D. Only got the VR yesterday, but Astrobot and Superhot are really showing how great VR can be. Astrobot is a lot of fun, incredibly well designed. Looking forward to getting more into it.

Superhot can be very challenging. My only gripe is sometimes it can be very difficult to pick something off the floor. Hands start glitching out. Not sure if I'm standing too close too the camera.

Definitely looking forward to Borderlands 2. Loved the original and can only imagine if the vr implementation in it is good, it could be incredible.

The levels in Astro Bot get more and more mindblowing as you go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Superhot can be very challenging. My only gripe is sometimes it can be very difficult to pick something off the floor. Hands start glitching out. Not sure if I'm standing too close too the camera.

I had to same issue so I moved the camera up high and have it pointing downwards. Had no issues after doing this.

I had to same issue so I moved the camera up high and have it pointing downwards. Had no issues after doing this.

dont forget to check the sticky in this forum for setup tips

• Registered Users Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Same here :D. Only got the VR yesterday, but Astrobot and Superhot are really showing how great VR can be. Astrobot is a lot of fun, incredibly well designed. Looking forward to getting more into it.

Definitely looking forward to Borderlands 2. Loved the original and can only imagine if the vr implementation in it is good, it could be incredible.

Astrobot just needs the DS4, yes? Super hot needs the moves ? Just trying to find out which of the good games need what as the mrs let slip that the kids have got me the starter pack with astrobot. So.... should I pick up the moves or just run with the DS4 for now?

dodzy wrote: »
    Astrobot just needs the DS4, yes? Super hot needs the moves ? Just trying to find out which of the good games need what as the mrs let slip that the kids have got me the starter pack with astrobot. So.... should I pick up the moves or just run with the DS4 for now?

Yeah Astrobot just needs the DS4, Superhot needs Move. Only other game I played was Rick & Morty which also needs Move.

I'd say you could be better off getting the Move controllers when possible.

Better get those moves before Wednesday.

• Advertisement

Beat Saber first impressions with hilarious stoner Seraphim190

Advertisement