Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jontr

Thanks lankz92 - so the same story with me. I contacted them using online form around 9am, but still didn't receive any reply/update.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Waiting on the camera to test mine now, before it gets sent to Santa :P

Gamestop in Drogheda said they were doing the "Buy 3 games, get Batman free" deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I recommend until Dawn its very good!
    I'm very impressed with it, not looking forward to going back to the real world now.

Been playing drive club vr all morning, absolutely class. I need to get a steering wheel!
    Couldn't get the media app to work though, just an endless loading screen when starting it. Tried deleting and reinstalling but no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

My kids have badly disappointed their father by telling their mother they do not actually want this for Christmas. Little feckers want new phones instead.

Ho hum.

I have booked a trial and am going to try it out in Dame lane shortly.

In case I can persuade the kids that they do actually want Santa to bring them this - are they selling a bundle with camera, move controllers or with software anywhere? Or is it just a case of getting a headset for 399 and buying the other bits and bobs separately?

• Advertisement

Until dawn and several other games €19 atm in littlewoods.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Got Smyths's email this morning at 8-30 and collected at 9AM, checked if any available for general public, said no, only fulfilling pre-orders.
    Mind blowing thing, but lacks the decent resolution, 5 years and it will be absolute killer, when we get 4K for each eye :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Denisoftus wrote: »
    Got Smyths's email this morning at 8-30 and collected at 9AM, checked if any available for general public, said no, only fulfilling pre-orders.
    Mind blowing thing, but lucks the decent resolution, 5 years and it will be absolute killer, when we get 4K for each eye :)

Do you mean lacks? Did you do the advanced configuration?

Yep, cheers, corrected. No, I didn't, just played for 20-30 mins before going to work, will look into this in the evening, is it going to make it better?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Yep, cheers, corrected. No, I didn't, just played for 20-30 mins before going to work, will look into this in the evening, is it going to make it better?

Should help a bit but won't drastically increase resolution or anything

• Advertisement

I suppose using PS4 Pro will improve it bit too, but again if resolution on the headset screens are limited - we should wait for VR2 or 3 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Fian wrote: »
    Until dawn and several other games €19 atm in littlewoods.ie

Same price in Argos if anyone wants them quick for store pick up...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 sobs

Does anyone know if Argos will be getting more stock in soon? Cheapest I can find on Adverts is €450!

Same price in Argos if anyone wants them quick for store pick up...

Its $19 in US store, but you need US account for this, which is not too hard to setup.

P.S. looked at the screenshots - no f way I'm playing this game on VR :))

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

sobs wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Argos will be getting more stock in soon? Cheapest I can find on Adverts is €450!

They have them in stock up in Belfast. Shame I won't be able to get up that way.

Only problem I'm having is it takes a lot of adjusting to get it into focus. Resolution isn't a problem for me once I get it in focus.

iamtony wrote: »
    Only problem I'm having is it takes a lot of adjusting to get it into focus. Resolution isn't a problem for me once I get it in focus.

took me about 1 minute to adjust, and all in focus since, but after working with all retina screens and 4K TVs, its a bit low for me, especially watching movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Just getting the US demo for now will just download the rest.

Really need to try these before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Mind blowing thing, but lacks the decent resolution, 5 years and it will be absolute killer, when we get 4K for each eye :)

I'm sorry to have to ask, i'm not calling you stupid but i've seen a load of people got caught out with this on Reddit - did you remove the plastic film from the lenses?

Got my HMD in Argos there.

Really surprised with the weight of the box actually. Can't wait to get home now to try this sucker out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

VR Worlds is €32 in Argos also, may just pick that up... Must get a PS VR Game Swap Thread going as I am sure people who get the likes of Batman VR and Until Dawn will be finished with them after a while and want to try trade 1:1 for another €20 title...

Also where is this plastic wrap inside the lenses, it looks like theres nothing on them?...

VR Worlds is €32 in Argos also, may just pick that up... Must get a PS VR Game Swap Thread going as I am sure people who get the likes of Batman VR and Until Dawn will be finished with them after a while and want to try trade 1:1 for another €20 title...

Great idea - no harm have a standalone thread for the VR games.

I did the demo this afternoon. Plenty of time, they were not rushing me out which was nice. I did London heist and ocean deep. Wanted to do Eve Valkyrie but they said they didn't have it.

Found it difficult to get the screen close enough to me eyes that it was fully in focus. I have never tried VR before today so can't compare to Vive or rift.

Ocean deep felt like I was in a finding nemo movie. I put my hand out to touch the bars of the shark cage I was in and got a strange sensation when i happened to touch the podium that the playstation was on exactly where the virtual bars of the cage were.

In London Heist when I opened the door of the van I was nervous I would fall out. Move controllers worked well. Really interesting to look out the window of the van and shoot the guys on motorbikes coming from behind me.

Amazing really, much more immersive than I expected it to be. It is good enough that any doubts I had about VR being the next "3D-TV" have gone -this will not be a passing fad. I have a 4k TV in the living room, would certainly prefer to play games on this and it is much cheaper than the TV was.

However I don't know whether the novelty would wear off and whether I would still use it a year after I bought. I guess that depends on engaging content. Most of the VR games I have read about seem to be pretty shallow, but i suppose it is early days.

Driving/spaceship (i.e. cockpit) games seem ideal for VR.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Deedsie wrote: »
    I went to the demo yesterday and I really liked the headphones that we were using. I forgot to check the make and model before I left, could anyone going in have a look at the make a model and let us know?

They were a nice weight and I felt they helped with the immersive experience.

Won't be able call over myself again.

Im going in there tonight at 7. Will try to remember.

Fian wrote: »
    I did the demo this afternoon. Plenty of time, they were not rushing me out which was nice. I did London heist and ocean deep. Wanted to do Eve Valkyrie but they said they didn't have it.

Found it difficult to get the screen close enough to me eyes that it was fully in focus. I have never tried VR before today so can't compare to Vive or rift.

Ocean deep felt like I was in a finding nemo movie. I put my hand out to touch the bars of the shark cage I was in and got a strange sensation when i happened to touch the podium that the playstation was on exactly where the virtual bars of the cage were.

In London Heist when I opened the door of the van I was nervous I would fall out. Move controllers worked well. Really interesting to look out the window of the van and shoot the guys on motorbikes coming from behind me.

Amazing really, much more immersive than I expected it to be. It is good enough that any doubts I had about VR being the next "3D-TV" have gone -this will not be a passing fad. I have a 4k TV in the living room, would certainly prefer to play games on this and it is much cheaper than the TV was.

However I don't know whether the novelty would wear off and whether I would still use it a year after I bought. I guess that depends on engaging content. Most of the VR games I have read about seem to be pretty shallow, but i suppose it is early days.

Driving/spaceship (i.e. cockpit) games seem ideal for VR.
    I did the exact same thing in the shark game I reached for the rail.
    You find the sweet spot after a while with regards to focus and it's not nessisarily right up against your eyes, I found adjusting the height of the strap helped a lot.
    It really is amazing technology and I agree it will go places.
    Just went back to the real world their and found out I'm a little motion sick.

Took me a while to figure out holding options button resets the screen to wherever your looking, I had my head twisted for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Deedsie wrote: »
    I went to the demo yesterday and I really liked the headphones that we were using. I forgot to check the make and model before I left, could anyone going in have a look at the make a model and let us know?

They were a nice weight and I felt they helped with the immersive experience.

Won't be able call over myself again.

When I was in NY, the headphones at the demo booth were the MDR-XB950AP. £60 in Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-XB950AP-Premium-Overhead-Headphones/dp/B00NBR6QKC/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1476369000&sr=1-12&keywords=sony+headphones

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The demos missing from the Euro disc are now apparently on our store.

Has anyone's gotten theirs from Amazon. I got a dispatch notice around 6 this morning and it's expected here tomorrow. Seems optimistic given its lack of progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭gmg678

The demos missing from the Euro disc are now apparently on our store.

Has anyone's gotten theirs from Amazon. I got a dispatch notice around 6 this morning and it's expected here tomorrow. Seems optimistic given its lack of progress.
    well if the demos that are missing are there that is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ie/games/playstationvr-demo/cid=EP9000-CUSA06853_00-PSVRDEMODISCDIG1

Updated list of demo games on the Irish Store:

DRIVECLUB™ VR
    RIGS™ Mechanized Combat League
    PlayStation® VR Worlds
    Tumble VR
    Until Dawn™: Rush of Blood
    Here They Lie
    Battlezone®
    EVE: Valkyrie
    Headmaster
    Wayward Sky
    Harmonix Music VR