Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

How "private" are the demos? Like do you have a crowd gawking at your less-than-3133+ gaming skillz, or are you in a private booth?

(I've booked in for Gamestop @ Blanch)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Does anybody need a Reservation no for Argos in Sligo?

I have a unit reserved there, I don't need it, have got my unit in Castlebar already

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

Still no collection email from smyths. There going to have a very unhappy customer if i dont have one before 6 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

mrcheez wrote: »
    How "private" are the demos? Like do you have a crowd gawking at your less-than-3133+ gaming skillz, or are you in a private booth?

(I've booked in for Gamestop @ Blanch)

The one i used in dame lane was not private in the sense that other people there could see you standing/sitting. The screen that showed what was happening in game was only really visible to the "helpers" who were there.

The games are not ones where you really need "1337 skillz" anyway.

I was occasionally conscious that other people in the room could see me, but as long as you don't shriek when a jump shock happens I don't imagine anyone will pay any attention to you. Besides you face is covered!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

lankz92 wrote: »
    Still no collection email from smyths. There going to have a very unhappy customer if i dont have one before 6 :(

Just go get it!!!!
    I went without email at about half 9 and he said you might have to wait then took the ref. No. From the email that said don't go to store and said I have it here.

• Advertisement

iamtony wrote: »
    Just go get it!!!!
    I went without email at about half 9 and he said you might have to wait then took the ref. No. From the email that said don't go to store and said I have it here.

Cheers was going to try that after work but the big red writing screamed it wouldnt work haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Fian wrote: »
    It is good enough that any doubts I had about VR being the next "3D-TV" have gone -this will not be a passing fad...

....However I don't know whether the novelty would wear off and whether I would still use it a year after I bought.

That sounds awfully like a passing fad.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

when did you pre-order?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Just noticed the Demo disk you get with it only has 8 Demo's, but if you download the VR Demo on the PS Store it has about 15 including Rush of blood.

Denisoftus wrote: »
    when did you pre-order?

Dundalk. Open till 9 so ill call in on the way home see whats going on

Sorry you said when. 16th of march

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Moreilly

I ordered on 28 July from smyths, got the email last night and collected it this morning from the tallaght store, demos downloading at home at t
    he moment as im at work....roll on tomorrow morning !

Just noticed the Demo disk you get with it only has 8 Demo's, but if you download the VR Demo on the PS Store it has about 15 including Rush of blood.

Its 36Gb but worth downloading.

Dundalk. Open till 9 so ill call in on the way home see whats going on

Sorry you said when. 16th of march

You should definitely be in a front of a line, pay them a visit before its too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

At the demo place now. Open until 8pm the next few days but closes at 4pm Sunday.

If you book a slot, do you get the full half an hour?

Got mine, guys looked very confused i hadnt got the email but took my order number. Now to dive in

Anyone with a US account - the Hulu app has a pile of free VR content

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Danger Ball is absolutely nuts !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

lads I have a spare argos reservation for Cruises Street Limerick if anyone wants to collect it good until end of tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,273 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I have also come into possession of an argos reservation for Sligo. I gave my Gamestop pre-order to a friend so it wouldn't be wasted and I took his Argos reservation to see if anyone on here wanted it.

PM me if you do actually want PSVR and are not going to just resell it.

Valid until closing time tomorrow (Friday).

edit: Gone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I have to say I'm a tiny bit disappointed. Visually I knew it wouldn't be amazing but some times it is pretty shocking. The back ground in Drive club looks pretty bad, and the lines are really janky. But I've been reading that with some tweaks to the settings you can improve that. Measuring eyes etc.

Once I have some more time I'll get it set up properly and give it another go.

But the overall feeling of moving is insane, as soon as the car started I got a butterfly in my belly and a bit of a hot flush :D. Took a second to ease into it.

Still so cool to look behind you and look out the back windscreen. :pac:

Started to notice some people have started hooking them up to other devices. Right now it just shows it in Cinema mode but PC, Wii U and XboxOne is working. Hopefully it isn't too long before someone has PC drivers for it out to play some VR titles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

VR Worlds is definately a must have IMO ... Was actually more excited for Rigs but after playing the demo not sure if I fancy it, Battlezone too is meh but VR Worlds is insane ... Would easily pay €20 just for Danger Ball...

EDIT: World War Toons (A F2P VR game) is up only on the US store at the minute... Don't think it is even on the Canada store...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

VR Worlds is definately a must have IMO ... Was actually more excited for Rigs but after playing the demo not sure if I fancy it, Battlezone too is meh but VR Worlds is insane ... Would easily pay €20 just for Danger Ball...

EDIT: World War Toons (A F2P VR game) is up only on the US store at the minute... Don't think it is even on the Canada store...

I'm the same, really glad I tried the demo flat. VR worlds is my first "must buy", the undersea demo is just incredibly well done. RIGS isn't as spectacular as I'd hoped but is better (in my opinion) than Battlezone so if I decide to get a shooter, I'll probably end up on Rigs, or possibly Eve.

Really like wayward Sky too. Very nice potential in it.

I tried the measuring eyes things but it still seems a bit blurry but that might just be me (I've a scar on my cornea so it affects my vision anyway).

I did try Netflix on the large screen which is awesome and then I did the first 5 mins of FFVII which I also throughly enjoyed.

My big issue is the inability to get the viewing just right. Hopefully I'm just missing something obvious

I think horror games will excel on this. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is brilliant, as is Here They Lie.

Was disappointed with how short the Kitchen demo was, but it was quality all the same.

Sense of scale in Battleground is amazing. Not too impressed with Driveclub at all.

Was surprised how fun Harmonix music was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Anyone having a problem with viewing the playstation on the tv while connected through the vr unit(powered off)?
    If I turn on the Netflix app it's perfect but when just looking at the menu it's showing the screen as if it's showing the mirrored vr screen with a black boarder all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hey guys I've a reservation for Argos in Wexford if anyone wants it. Brother has decided he'll wait until the new year before picking it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Well.....some positives and negatives to be sure.
    Bit disappointed with the overall comfort of the device, and that's without talking about titles which can lead to motion sickness etc, but rather physically. Was expecting a more comfortable fit than the Vive given some of the early reports , plus the need for Sony to have a proper 'mass production' intuitive device, but in the few hours of play I was always aware of the HMD's presence and frustrating feel on the face.
    Having said that, it still allows for a more comfortable space for the glass wearer as opposed to HTC's unit, but by contrast, while you can get away without the specs on and off on the PC, you'll always need them with the PSVR if you regularly game normally with lenses. Might be a market for after-market lense adaptors like the Oculus and Vive.

Surprised with the sloppy method of cable connection, given its mass market approach, but I suppose it was always on the cards with Sony's need to 'build a bridge' to the PS4, but it's still a bit of a pain with the cable length, awkward headphone placement etc. Of course the other VR attempts suffer from some of the same flaws, but I found the PS4's attempt clumsier overall, even with the likes of the Vive requiring proper lighthouse install.
    Obviously given the tech, it's not going to measure up to the PC efforts, but once the resolution concerns are expected, it performs decently enough. Reduced play area and some admittedly lacking tracking are some of the issues apparent, but it most definitely can give a seated experience once setup correctly in line with some of the better VR demos out there.
    Some signs of screen door effect, but not too bad and it handles God-ray effects well enough.....though there have been signs of some interpolating artifacts on a number of titles, plus there is some reflectivity on the inside of the mask with bright scenes.

Still have a few titles to try out, but certainly Batman stands out so far even with the limited playtime, but does definitely require the proper setup for a standing experience. DriveClub fairly average, visually lacking and by most accounts, lacking in content plus it really only comes into its own with a wheel like other VR racers. Couple decent demos on the Worlds disc, couple not really much use. Like the look of Thumper, but not had a proper play, same with Stardust.
    Overall, decent content to launch with for a tech that is really still looking for its killer app since the turn of the year.

All in all, a relatively solid 7/10. Not inexpensive really, but performance is about in line with what you have to pay out in comparison to the PC models.
    It goes without saying that the PSVR needs to succeed in order for VR to gain a foothold overall, and while there's a number of issues, it's a decent effort from Sony, but dedicated software is needed to justify it as a viable platform, so the overall impact may not be felt for another year or two. Go in with your eyes wide open and understand that it's a formative phase, and it may be enough to justify the cost involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

So I was at the Dame Lane place last night. Played heist which was great fun but very short and played battlezone and I was blown away by the feeling of actually being in the cockpit. Its massive! Really enjoyed it. I noticed that I could still see light coming in around the seal and also the image was pretty blurred but I understand there is some calibration that sorts that.

As for the headphones they were sony MDR 100A for who ever was asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

It really needs the Pro me thinks .

It's great fun and I'm all over it , but it is seriously showing up the vanilla PS4 , which is actually doing ok for a 4 year old graphic card (7870 ) . It's smooth , but the rez on some demo's falls away really fast at any kind of distance viewing .

Roll on Pro .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It really needs the Pro me thinks .

It's great fun and I'm all over it , but it is seriously showing up the vanilla PS4 , which is actually doing ok for a 4 year old graphic card (7870 ) . It's smooth , but the rez on some demo's falls away really fast at any kind of distance viewing .

Roll on Pro .

I can understand Sony not wanting to take attention away from the VR at the moment, or possibly cut sales for the few weeks, but It'd be nice to see some information as to how the Pro will benefit it.

Advertisement