Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

They were buying them for 480 cash yesterday. Glad they cut the price as it was encouraging maggotry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Certainly the Pro will be capable of performing some additional super-sampling in order to clean up the image, which is clearly needed as the amount of aliasing present in a lot of titles does detract from the experience somewhat, but there is a hard limitation on how much the image can be improved, as the resolution of the lens are not going to change (at least until Sony prep a V.2 down the line).
    Increased effects, more stable interpolation of dropped frames etc should all be on the cards to be improved upon with the Pro, but we'll just have to wait and see what they have in mind.

Nothing to do with the fact that CEX were offering more money to buy them in than they cost to purchase? I bet that were it an Xbox add on you'd be all over it telling us all how MS are pushing the boundaries of what gaming is and other nonsense. Early word so far for this has been far more positive than negative and is shaping up to be something different, sure it could all fall apart but trying to imply that CEX having stock of them is some negative is just clutching at straws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

McDermotX wrote: »
    Certainly the Pro will be capable of performing some additional super-sampling in order to clean up the image, which is clearly needed as the amount of aliasing present in a lot of titles does detract from the experience somewhat, but there is a hard limitation on how much the image can be improved, as the resolution of the lens are not going to change (at least until Sony prep a V.2 down the line).
    Increased effects, more stable interpolation of dropped frames etc should all be on the cards to be improved upon with the Pro, but we'll just have to wait and see what they have in mind.

Think you're bang on there. I don't see them creating a V2 of the headset until the PS5 is released (assuming PSVR is popular enough to continue developing for). The V2 headset should be 1200p minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Nothing to do with the fact that CEX were offering more money to buy them in than they cost to purchase? I bet that were it an Xbox add on you'd be all over it telling us all how MS are pushing the boundaries of what gaming is and other nonsense. Early word so far for this has been far more positive than negative and is shaping up to be something different, sure it could all fall apart but trying to imply that CEX having stock of them is some negative is just clutching at straws.

LOL, is that you Donald Trump. Twisting words again and drawing conclusions that don't exist.

I just mentioned that I seen it on the CEX home page and thought that's interesting that its being sold into CEX so soon.

Defending something that hasn't even been attacked is hilarious.

• Advertisement

LOL, is that you Donald Trump. Twisting words again and drawing conclusions that don't exist.

I just mentioned that I seen it on the CEX home page and thought that's interesting that its being sold into CEX so soon.

Your history of WUMMING the PS threads probably has some bearing on the response too.

McDermotX wrote: »
    Well.....some positives and negatives to be sure.
    Bit disappointed with the overall comfort of the device, and that's without talking about titles which can lead to motion sickness etc, but rather physically. Was expecting a more comfortable fit than the Vive given some of the early reports , plus the need for Sony to have a proper 'mass production' intuitive device, but in the few hours of play I was always aware of the HMD's presence and frustrating feel on the face.
    Having said that, it still allows for a more comfortable space for the glass wearer as opposed to HTC's unit, but by contrast, while you can get away without the specs on and off on the PC, you'll always need them with the PSVR if you regularly game normally with lenses. Might be a market for after-market lense adaptors like the Oculus and Vive.

Surprised with the sloppy method of cable connection, given its mass market approach, but I suppose it was always on the cards with Sony's need to 'build a bridge' to the PS4, but it's still a bit of a pain with the cable length, awkward headphone placement etc. Of course the other VR attempts suffer from some of the same flaws, but I found the PS4's attempt clumsier overall, even with the likes of the Vive requiring proper lighthouse install.
    Obviously given the tech, it's not going to measure up to the PC efforts, but once the resolution concerns are expected, it performs decently enough. Reduced play area and some admittedly lacking tracking are some of the issues apparent, but it most definitely can give a seated experience once setup correctly in line with some of the better VR demos out there.
    Some signs of screen door effect, but not too bad and it handles God-ray effects well enough.....though there have been signs of some interpolating artifacts on a number of titles, plus there is some reflectivity on the inside of the mask with bright scenes.

Still have a few titles to try out, but certainly Batman stands out so far even with the limited playtime, but does definitely require the proper setup for a standing experience. DriveClub fairly average, visually lacking and by most accounts, lacking in content plus it really only comes into its own with a wheel like other VR racers. Couple decent demos on the Worlds disc, couple not really much use. Like the look of Thumper, but not had a proper play, same with Stardust.
    Overall, decent content to launch with for a tech that is really still looking for its killer app since the turn of the year.

All in all, a relatively solid 7/10. Not inexpensive really, but performance is about in line with what you have to pay out in comparison to the PC models.
    It goes without saying that the PSVR needs to succeed in order for VR to gain a foothold overall, and while there's a number of issues, it's a decent effort from Sony, but dedicated software is needed to justify it as a viable platform, so the overall impact may not be felt for another year or two. Go in with your eyes wide open and understand that it's a formative phase, and it may be enough to justify the cost involved.

Regarding the cables - how long are the cables that connect the PS4 to the PSVR? Would you need to be sat close to the console itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Sort of tempted to pick one of these up this morning but i'm not really sure about it.

Are any of the game substantial? Had a look through the PS store a few minutes ago and they all sort of look like either tech demos or arcadey stuff that i'd probably get tired of after a short couple of hours.

The entire concept of the thing looks fun but i'm a bit worried i'll end up with a €400 paperweight this time next week.

Your history of WUMMING the PS threads probably has some bearing on the response too.
    Good word - WUMMING. I had to look it up.

It's far more accurate to say that I have expressed many a critical opinion however some people get very emotional when I critique anything Sony related. My post history is full of personal attacks from Sony ambassadors even OTT moderator action for simply expressing my opinion.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Sort of tempted to pick one of these up this morning but i'm not really sure about it.

Are any of the game substantial? Had a look through the PS store a few minutes ago and they all sort of look like either tech demos or arcadey stuff that i'd probably get tired of after a short couple of hours.

The entire concept of the thing looks fun but i'm a bit worried i'll end up with a €400 paperweight this time next week.

That's my worry too. I plan on waiting 6 to 12 months in the hope that some proper titles are released.
    In terms of full games out now, Rez and Battlezone are reviewing well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

That's my worry too. I plan on waiting 6 to 12 months in the hope that some proper titles are released.
    In terms of full games out now, Rez and Battlezone are reviewing well.

I'm the same. Ace Combat 7 will be my deciding game for PSVR, head tracking in flying games is unreal on PC with Track IR over the past decade, love to have it on a console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Regarding the cables - how long are the cables that connect the PS4 to the PSVR? Would you need to be sat close to the console itself?

Not at home right now, so hopefully someone can give a measurement, but it's somewhat limited, not so much length-wise (although that can be an issue if standing depending on the size of your space and the need to be in front of the camera and allow for enough room for the play area to extend top and bottom).
    Sitting down, it's probably not going to be an issue, though you may want your setup to the left of you to prevent the cable running across you.
    More of a problem is the multi-part cabling where two cables have to be joined into the processing box, and if you're in a large enough space, there is only a little slack available which can be an issue if trying to move about.
    It's a sloppy connection overall - right down to having the need for the USB connection to the front of the PS4.

You'll get used to it, but I was surprised with the setup next to one of what was thought to be an underlying issue with the Vive, which even with it's thick 3into1 cable connection, feels far better, and allows for decent movement and an awareness of where the cable is. In truth the PSVR is very much suited to sit-down environments, and limited standing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Good luck picking one up if you don't have one reserved already.

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Good luck picking one up if you don't have one reserved already.

The Gamestop near me has plenty of them apparently. Most Gamestops have plenty by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,259 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The Gamestop near me has plenty of them apparently. Most Gamestops have plenty by the looks of it.

I have a reservation for Argos Wexford if that's any good to you?

It's more to do with the fact that you go out of your way to post in all PS threads about how bad Sony are. Your comment about CEX and the VR head set was intended to imply that there was something wrong it and people were getting rid of it. We all know that were this a MS product then you'd be defending it to the hilt.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I have a reservation for Argos Wexford if that's any good to you?

Thanks buddy, but i'm not even sure if i'll actually get one :D

Wow i thought everywhere was sold out. Happy days!
    Get one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I still have a reservation for Sligo too, if anyone needs it. Good til close of business tonight.

It's more to do with the fact that you go out of your way to post in all PS threads about how bad Sony are. Your comment about CEX and the VR head set was intended to imply that there was something wrong it and people were getting rid of it. We all know that were this a MS product then you'd be defending it to the hilt.
    My comment mentioned absolutely nothing negetive. NOTHING at all. You are drawing your own conclusion.
    If I wanted to say something negative I would have just said it.

I have sold my Vive VR headset and I am keen to pick up a more portable VR device so I am watching this thread closely to gauge reactions.

You are exaggerating things a great deal 'all the Playstation threads'. I am subscribed to 2 Sony threads. Hardly the whole Sony forum.

'how bad Sony are' again another exaggeration. Read through my post history. You'll find critical posts met mostly with personal abuse and some tirades about Microsoft. The Sony forum I think here can be a bit left wing where any mention of even something a small bit critical is jumped on with no real conversational posts to highlight a counter point.

• Advertisement

I'm very into my headsets. Both for music and for gaming.
    Thought it might be useful to start a thread for recommendations and general stuff about them. Problems, price's, etc.

From what I've read, wireless headsets will not work as the "3D" sound is produced via the PSVR breakout box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Went to demo the headset there last night and I was really impressed by it. So much so, that I want to head in today on a walk-in during my break from work.

Does anyone know when the pop-up shop actually opens up?

Hey man,
    My buddy in work is looking to pick one of these up, if you get confirmation that gamestop have some will you let me us know, and which gasmestop.
    Cheers

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Hey man,
    My buddy in work is looking to pick one of these up, if you get confirmation that gamestop have some will you let me us know, and which gasmestop.
    Cheers

According to their website the only store that doesn't have stock in the country is Mahon Point in Cork.

Give your local one a shout. It looks like they all have plenty of stock, i know from other forums that the stock in bricks and mortar chainstores in the UK and US is readily available and only a few online retailers are sold out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Ok got mine yesterday, but only had a chance to play briefly later in the night, and a lot of time was spent downloading 50 gigs worth of games and Demos, as I couldn't pre-load as my Internet was down, until yesterday.

I bought Rez and the Batman game. Might get Eve Valkyrie and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, and may get some other stuff, if any demos impress me.

So most of my time was spent messing around with the video apps. So my impressions will be about that.

The 360 video is kind of fun, but honestly I could see myself watching an hour long tv show that way. I think short 5-15 minutes videos will suit this format. The resolution was pretty bad, but also no noticeable screen door effect. Being able to look around was kind of fun, and I can see horror stuff being able to use this pretty well. Having said that, I can instances, where you could miss important stuff, as you may look in the wrong direction.

So yeah, its kind of fun, and will work for short videos.

Will have a proper go at some games tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Reckon excessive use would give headaches as you can't take your eyes off the screen (as you can with a TV) ?

mrcheez wrote: »
    Reckon excessive use would give headaches as you can't take your eyes off the screen (as you can with a TV) ?
    Difficult to say. VR effects people very differently.

You won't play VR games as long as you would think per session. It can be a bit tiring and you need to take regular breaks. I believe they have a comfort rating for every game and tech demo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

From what I've read, wireless headsets will not work as the "3D" sound is produced via the PSVR breakout box.

I'm using my PX4's and they work fantastic with the VR .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Just received mine from Amazon. Projected delivery was Tuesday coming. Already opened it. I do love a piece of cool packaging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I think it takes some getting used too. The box off the games say to ease yourself in gradually.

I played for about 3 or 4 hours on and off during the day and I was worn out by the end of the day and slept like a baby last night.
    The weirdest thing I found was when typing a message on my phone last night my brain was still thinking I was in the headset and it felt like my hand and the phone were virtual, no lie it was weird. Apparently your brain adjusts to the suttle differences and then afterwards takes a while to get back to normal.
    Also My eyesight isn't 20:20 I don't wear glasses or anything but things in the distance aren't perfect but I noticed yesterday whilst driving after using it my eye sight was sharper than normal!

Advertisement