Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

From what I've read, wireless headsets will not work as the "3D" sound is produced via the PSVR breakout box.

You don't really need wireless with PSVR, just use decent headset, there are lots of great ones with much better sound quality then Sony wireless one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Denisoftus wrote: »
    You don't really need wireless with PSVR, just use decent headset, there are lots of great ones with much better sound quality then Sony wireless one.

It is true that you lose the 3D sound with a wireless headset, and that's a shame as the 3D sound is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,924 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

mrcheez wrote: »
    Reckon excessive use would give headaches as you can't take your eyes off the screen (as you can with a TV) ?

I haven't used PSVR but the only negative effects I ever had with my Rift were motion sickness due to the refresh rate not being at the minimum required level. Which was more of a PC Processing/software issue than the hardware itself.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Tried it last night in a friends house.
    My main game that I would like - Driveclub was disappointing tbh.
    Other things were good, batman and VR worlds were fun.

My eyes are very tired today however!
    Not sure if it's for me tbh..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

lawlolawl wrote: »
    According to their website the only store that doesn't have stock in the country is Mahon Point in Cork.

Give your local one a shout. It looks like they all have plenty of stock, i know from other forums that the stock in bricks and mortar chainstores in the UK and US is readily available and only a few online retailers are sold out.

Got onto them on Twitter, they said they have 0 left in any store in Dublin.
    Awaiting more from Sony. But they might not be 100% correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

iamtony wrote: »
    I think it takes some getting used too. The box off the games say to ease yourself in gradually.

I played for about 3 or 4 hours on and off during the day and I was worn out by the end of the day and slept like a baby last night.
    The weirdest thing I found was when typing a message on my phone last night my brain was still thinking I was in the headset and it felt like my hand and the phone were virtual, no lie it was weird. Apparently your brain adjusts to the suttle differences and then afterwards takes a while to get back to normal.
    Also My eyesight isn't 20:20 I don't wear glasses or anything but things in the distance aren't perfect but I noticed yesterday whilst driving after using it my eye sight was sharper than normal!

THIS!

I spent the night dreaming about VR after playing it for like 7 hours straight last night.

When my alarm went off this morning on my phone, I leaned over to turn it off, like you would do in a VR setting, putting my head really close to the object - ended up headbutting the bedside locker!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Hi All,

Im an XB1 user but wanna get the PS4 + PSVR, I have no playstation gear so need to get everything. Anyone know if any of the stores are doing bundles? none of their websites show bundle deals right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    THIS!

I spent the night dreaming about VR after playing it for like 7 hours straight last night.

When my alarm went off this morning on my phone, I leaned over to turn it off, like you would do in a VR setting, putting my head really close to the object - ended up headbutting the bedside locker!!!
    Ha ha ha brilliant!;

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

My opinions. Your mileage may vary.

I'm not the type of person who gets excited about things. Sports, music, tv, politics; they don't get me riled up the way I see others riled up. I say this to prepare you for some answers that may seem negative depending on your expectations, but the answers are just not fuelled by emotion/tribalism/fanaticism.
    Is it worth getting?
    Yes and no depending on your wallet. If you can afford it, plus games to play on it, plus wait a bit for more games in production to be released, then get it. As with all new platforms, the initial library of games will take some time to expand. If buying the headset means you can't afford to buy games (or food) on any platform for an extended period, don't get it. For example, if you can afford the headset plus a game, but you won't be able to buy any more playstation/pc games for 6 months, then you should keep your money for playstation/pc games (1 VR game won't keep you as interested as many normal games).
    Are you glad you got one?
    Yes. The few instances of feeling present at certain points in the demos was compelling, and I was happy to find myself unaffected by first person walking, driving, and flying, meaning I'll be able to play games incorporating standard gameplay mechanics as the library expands. The fact that something is in VR doesn't mean it's compelling by default. I was unimpressed by many of the demos.
    How is the framerate - does it cause nausea?
    Gameplay framerate is enforced at a higher rate by default than normal games so framerate should never be an issue. Streaming video apps are a different story, framerate will depend on the app and your broadband. I've been unaffected by motion sickness. If a game moves my perspective in a way I don't expect, I become accustomed to it after two seconds.
    How responsive is it?
    I didn't notice any lag between the headset/controllers and what I saw onscreen during normal gameplay. I didn't stress test it by moving my head and the controllers as fast as humanly possible, maybe I'll try that later and add an edit here, but maybe that isn't a realistic test to fail. The screen sometimes did not remain centred, however, you can usually look where you want it to be, then hold the Options button on your controller or Start on a Move to snap it to that point.
    Do you think it will perform well with fast-paced games? Or were the slightly slower-paced launch titles carefully chosen.
    I think it will perform well. There are fast-paced titles on the demo disc. I like the Drive Club and Battlezone demos. Rigs is fast-paced, but my lack of ability to play it was down to my shortcomings as a gamer rather than the game or hardware. (I got the US disc with more games. You do this by adding a user to the PS4, then say the new user is American. You now gain access to the US playstation store.)
    Do you think you will use it regularly?
    Yes. It's a different experience that adds to, but is exclusive from, those in normal games.

I'll add something about visual quality here.
    Don't expect to see your normal 1080p HD TV image in PSVR. Depending on the game, you may see some pixelation, aliasing, shimmering along edges, and black screens may seem speckled with grey. PSVR is one of three major consumer VR devices released this year. All of them have some variation of image quality issues compared to what we see on TVs. The hardware will improve in future iterations. You can wait for those, but you'll still face some standard problems: the library will be small for that new hardware, and a better iteration will always be planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

At the moment there are no decent bundles, everything is still being sold separately here in Europe. I'd expect to see some bundles pop up around Xmas though, especially with the PS PRO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 verbat

Picked mine up from argos yesterday, Guttted i have to take it back as it has a bunch of dead pixels in the middle of the right eye ,
    Anyone else have issues with dead pixels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Those Cex are cheeky bastards selling it for €575

its a pity that no bundles available and weird that Pro isnt out for a while yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Thanks for a great breakdown Qreg. that's exactly what we wanted to hear: A balanced report from a non fanatic, highlighting the pros and cons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

There doesn't seem to be enough VR's to meet demand so PS4 users get first choice which is a good way of rolling it out imo.

RasTa wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be enough VR's to meet demand so PS4 users get first choice which is a good way of rolling it out imo.

fair point

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

RasTa wrote: »
    Those Cex are cheeky bastards selling it for €575

Yea they are a joke.
    You'd want to have your head examined to sell it to them

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭gmg678

verbat wrote: »
    Picked mine up from argos yesterday, Guttted i have to take it back as it has a bunch of dead pixels in the middle of the right eye ,
    Anyone else have issues with dead pixels?
    what do you mean by dead pixels?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Has anyone watched a Movie on the Cinema mode (i think thats what its called)? I may get it down the line and am interested in it as cheaper alternative to a projector set up.. aswell as a gimmicky gaming peripheral

How big is the Virtual Screen etc?

• Critical thinking would be that Sony and at the very least it's 1st party devs need to figure out a method of making VR practical as opposed to a gimmick
    As with initial launches of hardware there will be the first time impact of VR but what will judge the headset will be it's practical usage further down the line. Just my two cents but slightly more related to VR in general than directed at the Sony headset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 verbat

the psvr uses an oled 1080p screen and several of them were stuck displaying black and would not change, very annoying as they were located in the middle of the right eye

• Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

There's always going to be a small amount affected with dead/stuck pixels........Vive and Rift had a small number of affected units as well.
    The fact that VR HMDs displays are right on your eyeball makes it much harder to ignore them, than what you find on larger displays.
    Definitely return and replace if possible as down the line I'd say Sony's dead pixel policy may come to the fore.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Yea they are a joke.
    You'd want to have your head examined to sell it to them

They were buying the PS VR for €480 yesterday - makes sense to sell it to them.

Buying from them is a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

bigphil2 wrote: »
    Has anyone watched a Movie on the Cinema mode (i think thats what its called)? I may get it down the line and am interested in it as cheaper alternative to a projector set up.. aswell as a gimmicky gaming peripheral

I didn't watch a movie but watched an episode of "How I met your mother" via netflix on it. The screen can be displayed in 3 sizes and to be honest, the biggest is sort of similar of sitting front row in a cinema, you need to move your head to see everything on the screen, the medium size is perfect. It'd be like watching a 100"+ screen in front of you.

It's cool but I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get a cheaper projector with a better resolution to be honest.

Smyths in Naas seem to still have some according to website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

bigphil2 wrote: »

Do you set the headset to Cinema mode to get this going? ... I just used my headset to watch an episode of Lethal Weapon while lying down in bed, the screen was massive but i didn't really have to do any settings to have it that way...

As for the headset and VR itself I think it is amazing, however I was very tired yesterday and my eyes did get a bit sore, but i'll suffer through the pain :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Did i hear that Gamestop had some kind of deal for PSVR games going at the minute?

Can't find anything on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Is The London Heist missing a massive section without having the Move controllers?...

Seemed like I was just playing a demo it was that short, I taught the experience was going to be 2 hours long?...

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Did i hear that Gamestop had some kind of deal for PSVR games going at the minute?

Can't find anything on their website
    people were saying yesterday, buy 3 games get batman free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

gmg678 wrote: »
    Smyths in Naas seem to still have some according to website.

Also has stock for Home Delivery, according to the website.

Advertisement