Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Anyone got Hustle Kings VR?... Is it worth picking up?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭gmg678

Varik wrote: »
    Could the camera see the ground when you were trying.

Nope but the gun was basically sitting on my desk, also with reguards the VR adventure game from Playroom wow, it is absolutely fantastic !!

EDIT: I was actually playing the Playroom adventure game earlier with mate, somehow my VR just went blank and I could hear things going on and he could still see what was happening but I couldn't do much... Is this an issue I should be worried about?... Happened about 4 times in the space of 2mins but after that it was working fine...
    this happened when my dad was trying it. it was during the day. he kept moving slightly outside of the play area. so I think that is what is happening with the blank screen.
    also which game from VR playroom is everyone talking about?

so after spending some time with this and watching family members give it go. as someone who hasn't played the higher end VR kits I can't compare but the PSVR is a fun experience.
    There is no break out game as of yet, but with Farpoint and RE7 on the way(I am sure there is more)this is going to be something to hold on to.
    the headset is so light. you could wear it for hours and be grand. I wear glasses and apart from foggy every now and then its sits nicely on my head.
    only real downside is all the bloody cables.
    I did pick up keep talking and nobody explodes. It is a couch co-op game only but it is great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

gmg678 wrote: »
    I did pick up keep talking and nobody explodes. It is a couch co-op game only but it is great craic.

I saw this and really liked the concept but didn't know if it would deliver! Would you recommend it then?

RedXIV wrote: »

I saw this and really liked the concept but didn't know if it would deliver! Would you recommend it then?
    you need people to play it with. you can't play it by your self. I have had a lot fun with it and playing with people. it will die out at some stage. but the later levels when there is more complex parts to the bomb make it great fun.
    If you have the spare cash I would pick it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

my current tv is nearly 10 years old and is a 32 inch. Am I going to have to upgrade the tv as well to get the full benefit?

You don't need a new tv to enjoy current PS4 or PSVR games, however, you will need it to get the most from a PS4 Pro. The Pro will have a little more oomph to support higher resolutions than 1080p (but not quite 4k which is touted as the next resolution standard 4 times better than 1080p the current/outgoing standard), High Dynamic Range (HDR) which allows more gradations of light and colour in bright and dark scenes, and a faster processor to enable better graphics/framerates. It can be argued that the benefits are minor if you are happy with how sharp 1080p games look.

Will the PS4 Pro give a better experience on PSVR? I don't recall seeing any information about that. The PSVR's screen can't display 4k, and I believe developers are already locked into giving smooth framerates, but the faster processor may allow slightly better graphics.

If you want the official info on PS4 Pro, here's the announcement of its existence and capabilities (Sorry, I'm not allowed to make it clickable because I'm a new user. Just copy/paste it) youtube.com/watch?v=tuI9yUxLS6k

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Qreq wrote: »
    You don't need a new tv to enjoy current PS4 or PSVR games, however, you will need it to get the most from a PS4 Pro. The Pro will have a little more oomph to support higher resolutions than 1080p (but not quite 4k which is touted as the next resolution standard 4 times better than 1080p the current/outgoing standard), High Dynamic Range (HDR) which allows more gradations of light and colour in bright and dark scenes, and a faster processor to enable better graphics/framerates. It can be argued that the benefits are minor if you are happy with how sharp 1080p games look.

Will the PS4 Pro give a better experience on PSVR? I don't recall seeing any information about that. The PSVR's screen can't display 4k, and I believe developers are already locked into giving smooth framerates, but the faster processor may allow slightly better graphics.

If you want the official info on PS4 Pro, here's the announcement of its existence and capabilities (Sorry, I'm not allowed to make it clickable because I'm a new user. Just copy/paste it) youtube.com/watch?v=tuI9yUxLS6k

Most games will remain 1080p I'd imagine, I'm sceptical that discs will ship with two sets of textures, one for PS4 and one for PS4 Pro, stretching the resolution up is easier but I think games looking the same graphically but handling higher framerates is the main benefit of the Pro, especially with the PSVR, where higher framerates will look much better.

And 4k Upscaling and HDR obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'm a little late to the party here and only tried the PSVR yesterday so I'm convinced to buy one now, so rather than read through 46 pages of comments can someone suggest where is the best place to get a PS4 Pro (are they available yet?)

Also I assume the PS4 Pro will enhance the PSVR for certain games?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

also which game from VR playroom is everyone talking about?

Robot rescue.

Most games will remain 1080p I'd imagine, I'm sceptical that discs will ship with two sets of textures, one for PS4 and one for PS4 Pro, stretching the resolution up is easier but I think games looking the same graphically but handling higher framerates is the main benefit of the Pro, especially with the PSVR, where higher framerates will look much better.

And 4k Upscaling and HDR obviously.

HDR is on the current PS4, and while 4k native/upscalled is out of the question on PSVR supersamling to 1080 is.

• Advertisement

HDR is on the current PS4, and while 4k native/upscalled is out of the question on PSVR supersamling to 1080 is.

Upscaling on regular 4k TVs I meant. I can't see them supersampling to the PSVR, Pro couldn't handle that given its spec, and it's pretty pointless with poorer graphics anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

rather than read through 46 pages of comments can someone suggest where is the best place to get a PS4 Pro (are they available yet?)
    Also I assume the PS4 Pro will enhance the PSVR for certain games?
    The Pro will be released on 10 November 2016 for €400. It's on Gamestop and Smyths websites. It's suspected that it may provide a smoother experience on PSVR, but there's no official word on that. High framerates on PSVR are enforced by default (high is good and low is bad by the way), so it's uncertain at the moment if the Pro's extra power will be noticeable on PSVR. We might get more news on this closer to the Pro's release date.

Upscaling on regular 4k TVs I meant. I can't see them supersampling to the PSVR, Pro couldn't handle that given its spec, and it's pretty pointless with poorer graphics anyways.

No reason it couldn't

No reason it couldn't

There is though, for VR the Pro isn't going to be pushing 8th Gen graphics at 1080p, it won't be able to handle supersampling. As I said, it's pointless enough with worse looking games like the ones currently available. I don't think they'd gain much from the jump.

I forget the name of the mode but using the headset as a regular tv, then yeah it'll supersample same as any other tv

There is though, for VR the Pro isn't going to be pushing 8th Gen graphics at 1080p, it won't be able to handle supersampling. As I said, it's pointless enough with worse looking games like the ones currently available. I don't think they'd gain much from the jump.

I forget the name of the mode but using the headset as a regular tv, then yeah it'll supersample same as any other tv

Clarifying with a meaningless caveat doesn't change the fact it already has been, Digital foundry have had hands on with both version running farpoint with the pro utilising super sampling.

Edit:The current version running on the pro was shown to a number of press, DF got hands on with current version running on both.

Clarifying with a meaningless caveat doesn't change the fact it already has been, Digital foundry have had hands on with both version running farpoint with the pro utilising super sampling.

Edit:The current version running on the pro was shown to a number of press, DF got hands on with current version running on both.

Link?

Hardly meaningless, people complain about last gen graphics, everyone understands, how is 8th Gen any more meaningless

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Link?

Hardly meaningless, people complain about last gen graphics, everyone understands, how is 8th Gen any more meaningless

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016/09/promising_playstation_vr_exclusive_farpoint_will_be_enhanced_by_ps4_pro
    We've played PlayStation VR exclusive Farpoint on a standard PlayStation 4 console and it looks freakin' good – but it'll look even better on the PlayStation 4 Pro. As announced at Sony's PlayStation Meeting press conference last week, the first-person shooter will boast a "doubled pixel count" compared to the standard version when running on the new hardware, resulting in much cleaner scenes.

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I wonder if the Pro will enable smoother input tracking vs the existing?

I.e. Less jumpy when moving arms on screen due to faster sampling rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Qreq wrote: »
    The Pro will be released on 10 November 2016 for €400. It's on Gamestop and Smyths websites. It's suspected that it may provide a smoother experience on PSVR, but there's no official word on that. High framerates on PSVR are enforced by default (high is good and low is bad by the way), so it's uncertain at the moment if the Pro's extra power will be noticeable on PSVR. We might get more news on this closer to the Pro's release date.

Looking at the website, doesn't look like they will have stock problem like with PSVR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

I saw Gamestop in Blanchardstown setting one up yesterday morning. I didn't get a chance to try it though.

• Advertisement

Denisoftus wrote: »
    Looking at the website, doesn't look like they will have stock problem like with PSVR

Probably a safer bet for the shops so they'll order more stock.

The only flaw I see with the VR is the actual move controllers (and the pointless aiming with your head?)... I was playing Rigs and it seems you have to aim with your head (when using Dualshock anyways)... Maybe you can change this in settings and use the anolog to aim?...

Would it not be possible to create a sort of glove that could mimmick your exact hand movements using lights to track it like they do with Move/DS4?... Or is that me just asking for too much that would be hard to produce cheaply?...

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

I was thinking exactly the same, as it tracks the LED elements, should be easy to make glove trackable, I'm sure we will soon see some "custom-made" gloves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

The only flaw I see with the VR is the actual move controllers (and the pointless aiming with your head?)... I was playing Rigs and it seems you have to aim with your head (when using Dualshock anyways)... Maybe you can change this in settings and use the anolog to aim?...

Would it not be possible to create a sort of glove that could mimmick your exact hand movements using lights to track it like they do with Move/DS4?... Or is that me just asking for too much that would be hard to produce cheaply?...

It's not the only flaw! I found the biggest flaw last night......drinking a can of beer with the headset on is near impossible! I actually contemplated using a straw at one point.

iamtony wrote: »
    It's not the only flaw! I found the biggest flaw last night......drinking a can of beer with the headset on is near impossible! I actually contemplated using a straw at one point.

I find it to be pretty easy :P ... It's finding the beer that's the issue :D

I find it to be pretty easy :P ... It's finding the beer that's the issue :D

Ha ha I must wear the mask a little lower than others, it tends to block my nose a little. But seriously it's not easy to drink for me. But yes finding the beer and placing back on the table without it hanging off the edge is an issue that needs addressing also;-)

I'm glad the honeymoon period is over and we can discuss the real life problems now!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Merged four PS VR threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Played Thumper finally. It is really intense and i love it, reckon i'll spend a bit of time with it :)

I had decided it was my favorite PSVR game that i'd played so far...... until i tried Rez right after it.

Rez made me completely lose track of myself and become totally absorbed in the VR :eek: Don't know how i managed to miss it in all my years of gaming but it feels like VR was made for it.

Other than that, i tried the Until Dawn demo and while liked it, i'm going to get a disc copy in Argos because it doesn't look to be that repayable so i'll trade it in when i'm finished with it. It has great use of directional sound to set up scares and i'll be interested in seeing devs build on this.

• Advertisement

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Played Thumper finally. It is really intense and i love it, reckon i'll spend a bit of time with it :)

I had decided it was my favorite PSVR game that i'd played so far...... until i tried Rez right after it.

Rez made me completely lose track of myself and become totally absorbed in the VR :eek: Don't know how i managed to miss it in all my years of gaming but it feels like VR was made for it.

Other than that, i tried the Until Dawn demo and while liked it, i'm going to get a disc copy in Argos because it doesn't look to be that repayable so i'll trade it in when i'm finished with it. It has great use of directional sound to set up scares and i'll be interested in seeing devs build on this.
    Until dawn is class, as are most of the experiences but horror is definitely a highlight and resi evid will be a day one for me. Did you play the kitchen demo yet? Its awesome.

Advertisement