Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Quick question. Does the PS4 get Humble Bundles?

I can see that being a major benefit of the PC version of VR over the PSVR if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

mrcheez wrote: »

I can see that being a major benefit of the PC version of VR over the PSVR if not.

They do - well, it's a combined Sony bundle, was the last one I seen, meaning there were games for the Vita, PS3 & PS4. The last one was a Capcom bundle, and they had the 2 latest Resident Evil remasters for free, as well as discounts off newer games, and free retro games too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Anyone try the grappling hook game? Windlands?

Looks promising, just thought I'd ask before I buy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Really? Most Humble Bundles have maybe one or two decent games and the rest are terrible for anything other than the few cents you'll get out of idling them for Steam trading cards.

Can't actually think of the last one i bought because i generally just buy the games i want when they come out :D

Hmm I've had several Humble Bundles with exceedingly good games, which is why my backlog is so damned huge :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

RedXIV wrote: »
    Anyone try the grappling hook game? Windlands?

Looks promising, just thought I'd ask before I buy :)

Have it on the Vive, but haven't played it in a long time..........depends how much they want for it I'd say.

It can be a great laugh, but it depends on how these kind of games sit with the player. Sort of like a VR version of Grow Home for lack of a better comparison.
    Did offer a full control method to walk around, which could be an issue for some (game is best played standing certainly), but it is a good laugh trying to grab onto something when falling from a height. Like most VR titles that sprung up around that time - it's a question about how much game there is there.
    No idea what the PS4 version is like, but I suspect it needs the Move controllers for a start, and the limited play area may be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

lawlolawl wrote: »
    8 months with no games of note other than the ones that ended up/will end up on PSVR at some stage. The rest is shovelware, i've been keeping an eye on VR stuff on Steam.

Face it dude, Vive and Occulus are too expensive and too niche.

Hell, the PSVR may fail as well but the other two are pretty much dead already.

Elite dangerous - i have not played it in VR but from playing it on screen it is easy to see it is pretty ideal for VR. Alot of attention to ship cockpits / bridge and you can "look around" from within the cockpit view using mouse already. I understand in vr you can stand up and walk around too. It is a game pretty ideal for playing in VR i guess, would love to play it in vr especially for sense of scale

Just had a play around with an Oculus Rift in the Science Museum beside Trinity. Can't really say it was particularly sharper than the experience I had on the PSVR.

More pixelated if anything.

Does the PSVR implement smoothing?

Just had a play around with an Oculus Rift in the Science Museum beside Trinity. Can't really say it was particularly sharper than the experience I had on the PSVR.

More pixelated if anything.

Does the PSVR implement smoothing?

It has a sub pixel arrangement, whatever that means. Reduces the screen door effect.

I found it to be pretty noticeable on the Rift myself. However, the field of view appears better on the Rift, at least to my eyes

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    It has a sub pixel arrangement, whatever that means. Reduces the screen door effect.

I found it to be pretty noticeable on the Rift myself. However, the field of view appears better on the Rift, at least to my eyes

Yeah that's a good terminology for it: screen door effect.

So it seemed more noticeable than on the PSVR.

e.g.
    akiz8wsfgk6lcdhixeub.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

PlayStation VR: why there's no screen-door effect
    Reading PSVR's spec sheet really doesn't do it justice. Its head-mounted display (HMD) has a single horizontal screen at 1080p, whereas the Rift and Vive both have two vertical screens at 1200p. You might think, "Clearly PSVR is inferior." Not exactly. While the resolution is definitely lower, PSVR has almost no screen-door effect.

It wasn't just my eyes, either. Most people who are lucky enough to have tried PSVR agree: you have to actively try to see the screen-door effect, rather than actively try not to see it. That's a huge deal when it comes to VR immersion, and could end up becoming PSVR's main selling point.

So how does a lower resolution screen have less screen-door effect? Each pixel in PSVR's display actually has three subpixels, one for red, one for green, and one for blue. If we do some math, it becomes apparent that the PSVR actually has a higher subpixel resolution than Rift and Vive, resulting in less screen door effect.

This is why.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Just picked up super stardust vr, not sure what to think of it... The arcade is pretty much the exact same and first person is just alright, must play some more though

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

My move controllers arrived today from Amazon that was a nice surprise.
    I tried the demo of Until Dawn: Rush of blood. Made it five seconds in before screaming and turning it off!
    Are there any must have games for it that would be suitable for a 13 year old to play? My nephew is coming over to try it out tomorrow and all I have is the demo disc and pc worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I tried the demo of Until Dawn: Rush of blood. Made it five seconds in before screaming and turning it off!
    Are there any must have games for it that would be suitable for a 13 year old to play? My nephew is coming over to try it out tomorrow and all I have is the demo disc and pc worlds.

VR world's is all you need and the Playroom VR which is free and should start downloading...

Danger Ball is so much fun and so is The London Heist ...

How much was the controllers and how long it take to receive?... Gamestop where charging me 35 for one second hand but I didn't take as wanted 2 of them..

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

VR world's is all you need and the Playroom VR which is free and should start downloading...

Danger Ball is so much fun and so is The London Heist ...

How much was the controllers and how long it take to receive?... Gamestop where charging me 35 for one second hand but I didn't take as wanted 2 of them..

IT came to 81 euro including P&P. I had ordered them about 2 weeks ago . The day I got the VR headset.. they were showing as out of stock on Amazon so it was a surprise when they arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Batman VR has been my "wow game" so far. €20 too.

Otacon wrote: »

Just on this point again. This, IMHO, is the single greatest thing that distinguishes the PSVR from the PC versions but I haven't heard a single mention of it until the last post.

The screen door effect ruins the immersiveness of the Oculus and the lack thereof onthe PSVR enhances the feeling of being "in the game" and not just viewing it from a movable screen.

Why don't Sony make a bigger deal about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Batman VR has been my "wow game" so far. €20 too.

Is that part of Arkham Knight or the collection or is it standalone?

For 20 squid if not it would want to be good... :)

I only got to demo this at the weekend myself and was fairly impressed I have to say, not something I'll invest in immediately but I will down the line after getting the Pro...

Thinking about going ahead with a pre-order of the PS4 Pro and getting a PS VR etc off Amazon uk in time for Xmas (not bothered about getting asap)

Sony PlayStation 4 Pro 1TB - £349.99

Sony PlayStation 4 Camera - £39.00

Sony PlayStation Move Motion Controller - Twin Pack - £68.99

Sony PlayStation VR - £349.99

TOTAL: £807.97 (€903)

Hmm seems I forgot to add headphones, plus a charging port/mount to hold the PSVR (I know these aren't strictly required, but this is if you want the best experience)...

Turtle Beach - Stealth 350VR Amplified Virtual Reality Gaming Headset - £59.99

Dynamo Charging Station - £29.99

Total is now coming up as £897.95 which is €1003.99 and so at the very limit of what I'm going to spend on this gen of VR :eek:

• Advertisement

Hmm seems I forgot to add headphones, plus a charging port/mount to hold the PSVR (I know these aren't strictly required, but this is if you want the best experience)...

Turtle Beach - Stealth 350VR Amplified Virtual Reality Gaming Headset - £59.99

Dynamo Charging Station - £29.99

Total is now coming up as £897.95 which is €1003.99 and so at the very limit of what I'm going to spend on this gen of VR :eek:

Have you priced Amazon.de for some or all of your items? You may pick up a few savings here or there.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Have you priced Amazon.de for some or all of your items? You may pick up a few savings here or there.

Handy thanks, I take it you always select "Amazon.de" as the seller to get free delivery?

Handy thanks, I take it you always select "Amazon.de" as the seller to get free delivery?

Ya, and sometimes, if it won't deliver to Ireland, it will deliver to the UK, so Parcel Motel is your friend :)

I got a camera off there, saved like €120 on the cost. Plus, because it's in the EU, there's no Customs or VAT to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So got everything sent to me today finally got a go after work tonight. So took me a while to setup more bloody wires as if my room didn't already have enough!

Had to move my ps4 to cabinet under my TV positioning of camera bit awkward but hopefully ok. So when I sat down on sofa it said playing area or something I can't remember was to far.

So guess I wasn't close enough to camera? I got another chair moved closer but made much more uncomfortable for my neck and back.

Anyway the headset itself I find comfortable enough one issue I had I'll explain in while. So I tried kitchen demo first for resident evil and wow!

Let's just say without spoiling anything playing full game in VR is gonna be nerve wrecking. What I find from playing around is it could really bring out experience of fear so much more that I've lacked watching it on a TV.

So I tried job simulation demo but for some reason I could only get one more controller to connect? I've no idea how to use these things first time ever messed bout with them.

I gave my gf a go and when I got it back seemed notice issue with headset. It was like I was wearing glasses and could see outline of rims around in front my eyes? I didn't notice it before so I'm hoping it goes next time I play.

When I was done playing round and took it off noticed my eyes felt bit pushed into my head ha. Kinda as if tired of focusing to much hoping I get used to it and improves over time it feels better now but head still tiny bit funny.

Overall I'm dying to try some games out the 3 I'm looking at picking up are rez until dawn and here there lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Fieldog wrote: »
    Is that part of Arkham Knight or the collection or is it standalone?

For 20 squid if not it would want to be good... :)

I only got to demo this at the weekend myself and was fairly impressed I have to say, not something I'll invest in immediately but I will down the line after getting the Pro...

It's a stand alone purchase, but set in that franchise.

Standing on top of Gotham GCPD looking down on the city. Worth every penny. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

Is this currently available to buy in a B&M store (inc camera and light sticks) and if so where is best priced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dexter_morgan

They seem to be out of stock everywhere. Was talking to someone in smyths yesterday and he said that without a pre order, people wouldnt get them in store until Jan or Feb! The camera is the easiest to get. Big shortage on the move controllers too.

Head is still tiny bit sore this morning nothing major its more just around my eye sockets like i used to get with sinus issues. Hope its not a constant thing every time i pay though!

Need to figure out how to pair the move controllers in game could only ever get one paired plus doesn't help the fact ive never used the bloody things before can you actually pair two move controllers at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Need to figure out how to pair the move controllers in game could only ever get one paired plus doesn't help the fact ive never used the bloody things before can you actually pair two move controllers at the same time?

You can. Make sure you plug each of them into your PS4 via the USB cable and then turn them on. Once they since with your PS4, log them into your user account on the system (the same account).

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote: »
    You can. Make sure you plug each of them into your PS4 via the USB cable and then turn them on. Once they since with your PS4, log them into your user account on the system (the same account).

Ya I got as far as syncing them had each one on different account haha dope!

Advertisement