Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Denisoftus wrote: »
    With stock coming back to Argos and Tesco UK selling it even cheaper then here, who would buy it? :eek:

I once paid double for a poxy leap pad for my daugher for Xmas when they couldn't be got. Patents will do anything to stop their missus telling them they ruined Xmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If I get a PS4 Pro do you need a 4k TV in order to improve with the headset?...

Nope, the Headset and TV are essentially unrelated. Before you go upgrading to the Pro you should consider the below. I was looking at upgrading too thinking it would give the headset the boost it needs.

The Pro outputs in what is essentially 2K up-scaled to 4K, the end result is pretty close to 4K but not native 4K. You do need a 4K/HDR TV to take advantage of that. If you are on a standard 1080p TV it won't make a huge difference. What it will do is downscale the 2K to 1080P so it will be a good bit sharper than normal 1080p. But you won't get as much of a boost as is being advertised with screenshots at the moment.

In terms of improvements to PSVR, there will be none at launch, in this interview with Mark Cerny he says that he hopes devs will take advantage of the extra power in the future but even if they do all it will do is make images a little smoother and improving the refresh rate.

It won't be outputting 4K to the headset or anything, the console output is limited by the headset and TV.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/20/13350476/sony-ps4-pro-mark-cerny-4k-games-psvr-graphics

Cerny said that’s not exactly the case. There’s no direct correlation between PSVR and the PS4 Pro. In fact, owning the new console doesn't mean you'll see any immediate benefits to the VR experience unless developers decide to take advantage of the graphical and memory boost post-launch. "We’re just asking for them to take advantage," Cerny said. "We’d like for them [developers] to take a look at what the hardware can do and do something with it." Some possibilities include boosting pixel counts for smoother images in VR or increasing the headset’s refresh rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Guess I better get saving for a new TV first then, don't really mind the quality of the headset as it is but do need a bigger hard drive so upgrading to pro seems like a good idea if there's good deals, I know the slim had some sweet deals after it launched..

In stock in the warehouse on amazon DE. Works out with my company discount 310 euros for one ....... In stock in like a week and a bit.

You can order one for me too :)

Guess I better get saving for a new TV first then, don't really mind the quality of the headset as it is but do need a bigger hard drive so upgrading to pro seems like a good idea if there's good deals, I know the slim had some sweet deals after it launched..

Same here sometimes I feel like I spend more time deleting stuff than playing :D

Have you thought about just upgrading the hard drive? it is really easy.

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/gaming/how-to-upgrade-your-ps4-hard-drive-1285428

You could get something like this which would give you 1 TB and be faster than the standard hard drive for under €100.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Game-Drive-PlayStation-performance/dp/B013Y4YFOA/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1478520704&sr=1-3&keywords=PS4+hard+drive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Same here sometimes I feel like I spend more time deleting stuff than playing :D

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/gaming/how-to-upgrade-your-ps4-hard-drive-1285428

You could get something like this which would give you 1 TB and be faster than the standard hard drive for under €100.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Game-Drive-PlayStation-performance/dp/B013Y4YFOA/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1478520704&sr=1-3&keywords=PS4+hard+drive

These seem fairly good too, and come in up to 5TB

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019Q2BVRS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=WVCGILSTBKSF&coliid=I3RCG943ABW59U&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

owning the new console doesn't mean you'll see any immediate benefits to the VR experience unless developers decide to take advantage of the graphical and memory boost post-launch. "We’re just asking for them to take advantage," Cerny said. "We’d like for them [developers] to take a look at what the hardware can do and do something with it." Some possibilities include boosting pixel counts for smoother images in VR or increasing the headset’s refresh rate.

For someone like me that doesn't yet have a PS4, this sentence is enough for me to decide to get a Pro over the basic model simply because developers *can* take advantage of the boost if they choose.

And they probably will eventually.

Have always wanted to upgrade but feel a new PS4 would be best thing to do at this stage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Do what games should I be looking at getting?.

As my vr from Amazon has been sent

I am thinking Rez, until down and batman vr?.

Also do I need to get the move controllers?. I have one I'd it worth while trying to find a 2nd?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

Also do I need to get the move controllers?. I have one I'd it worth while trying to find a 2nd?

the moves make some games more emersive, like in batman vr you would need 2 as they act as your hands in game or just use the controller instead but having tried both options i couldn't go back to using the controller

• Advertisement

Do what games should I be looking at getting?.

As my vr from Amazon has been sent

I am thinking Rez, until down and batman vr?.

You don't necessarily need the move controllers, as all games have to support the Dualshock.

But as Soap has pointed out, once you do use them, they kinda become essential, as any other experience is less than the immersion that the moves give you.

Games wise, you won't go wrong with Batman.

Your best bet is to download the Demo from the US playstation store - it has 18 games / experiences on it, where as the Irish one only has 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    You don't necessarily need the move controllers, as all games have to support the Dualshock.

But as Soap has pointed out, once you do use them, they kinda become essential, as any other experience is less than the immersion that the moves give you.

Games wise, you won't go wrong with Batman.

Your best bet is to download the Demo from the US playstation store - it has 18 games / experiences on it, where as the Irish one only has 8

Perfect then i need to order my Camera now as well 1st ha. Before i can play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Guys. Can anyone advise me on if they get eye strain or discomfort playing the VR? ... I'm worried about shelling out all that money for something that may be unplayable for me.

Guys. Can anyone advise me on if they get eye strain or discomfort playing the VR? ... I'm worried about shelling out all that money for something that may be unplayable for me.

My right eye felt pretty bad last week and seems better now that I am not playing as much... However this could have been due to lack of sleep, even if it does get sore it doesn't bother me too much...

I have had serious sessions with the headset on, and in fairness, the eyes do be a little strained. No discomfort, but the following day after a long session, my head would feel a little woolly. Definitely worth it for the experience though

That being said, everyone experiences the thing differently, with some feeling sick from the experience. I've never felt sick with any of the games.

Just curious, are most PSVR games on rails?

The ones I tried in the demo were. Wasn't a problem, but curious to know if we're going to see the likes of GTA VR controlled via 2 Move controllers, but allowing you to move freely?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I was really bad for 3 days after I used it for the first time and I just didn't go back to it and considered selling it on. But I seem to be able to use it with no real issues now, just took time to adjust to. It's definitely a lot more comfortable to wear than the HTC Vive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Another question is for the ordinary games (non VR) ... I believe you can play on a virtual big screen. Does it 'work' as cool as it sounds?

Another question is for the ordinary games (non VR) ... I believe you can play on a virtual big screen. Does it 'work' as cool as it sounds?

There are 3 different screen sizes. The resolution isn't fantastic, but it certainly is fine. Sub HD though.

At the largest setting, you will need to move your head from left to right to see either corner of the screen. Far from ideal. It is the middle setting i use the most, and it pretty much fully encompasses your view

I would suggest using this for Single Player games but definately not Multiplayer games...

I watch TV Shows on it too it's great I can just lie in bed and watch what I want and screen is always centered...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

mrcheez wrote: »
    Just curious, are most PSVR games on rails?

The ones I tried in the demo were. Wasn't a problem, but curious to know if we're going to see the likes of GTA VR controlled via 2 Move controllers, but allowing you to move freely?
    I'd hold your breath on GTA VR, as much as it'd love to see it, and you would bet that Rockstar would do it right if they were to do it. The likelihood is that if the game requires player input for movement (as opposed to being on-rails or using the teleportation method) it will use the Dualshock 4.

For FPS' the DS4 would be pretty immersion breaking, you'll see many of them use your head to aim relative to where the camera looks (e.g. RIGS, Scavengers Odyssey), or use the right analog stick to aim but use your head to look and move the camera independent from aiming (e.g. Battlezone). The latter would be more suited to game in which the player is in a cockpit, however.

There is a cool gun peripheral coming out at the beginning of next year however that would enable both movement, turning, and tracked aiming in a similar fashion the move controllers would. This is through having it's light ball thingy, but also utilising two analog sticks, four face buttons, a D-pad, two shoulder buttons, and a gun trigger.
    It looks like it's going to be bundled with Farpoint when it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

You can go into the settings on the main menu and change the spacing between your pupils so the VR 3d is set to your personnel preference . I measured my pupils and found that the measurement was about 1mm difference so I didn't bother changing anything .

I used a ruler across the bridge of my nose and tried as best I could to compensate for parallax error . I think the standard setting is 63mm.

Robinson the Journey (when you change the settings) is a free roaming game in the usual FPS style. It works pretty well, and you get used to using the dual shock very quickly. It starts with a setting they call pie chart, so if you press left you spin 90 degrees. It cuts down on motion sickness but I didn't like it.

The left stick walks your character around, the right makes them turn around, and you use the headset to look around in what ever direction you want. You can look around as far as your neck will turn :D but it will not turn the character (which is what you want).

The right stick doesn't let you look up or down just right or left so it is nice and rigid. You need to actually look up with your head.

But it is really weird if you stand up and start walking. I wobbled and almost fell over, I had to shuffle my feet quickly. You get use to this too but it made me really sick after about 90mins playing, and I've never gotten any motion sickness from VR.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Robinson the Journey (when you change the settings) is a free roaming game in the usual FPS style. It works pretty well, and you get used to using the dual shock very quickly. It starts with a setting they call pie chart, so if you press left you spin 90 degrees. It cuts down on motion sickness but I didn't like it.

The left stick walks your character around, the right makes them turn around, and you use the headset to look around in what ever direction you want. You can look around as far as your neck will turn :D but it will not turn the character (which is what you want).

The right stick doesn't let you look up or down just right or left so it is nice and rigid. You need to actually look up with your head.

But it is really weird if you stand up and start walking. I wobbled and almost fell over, I had to shuffle my feet quickly. You get use to this too but it made me really sick after about 90mins playing, and I've never gotten any motion sickness from VR.

I can't understand how they didn't support the move at launch, when the character is basically holding one in the game. The design can't be a coincidence.

I can't understand how they didn't support the move at launch, when the character is basically holding one in the game. The design can't be a coincidence.

I thought the same but once you play it you figure out it would be pretty much impossible to use the the move as it has no movement controls. It is only really useful to point at stuff. the game needs two analogue sticks to walk and look around. The in game move thingy is locked in place so you just look at stuff and press R2 to pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,132 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So how does everyone have there camera setup in whatever room there using?

This has been one the major issues for me as in my sitting room my sofa is about ten foot away from my tv. Its also at a slight angle so even though i dont notice it normally with the camera in front of tv i aint sitting directly in front of it the way they want you to be.

So really the issue im having is where to put the bloody camera when im playing because it needs to be around 6 foot distance and needs to be at a certain height. I seen you can get an extension cable online so that might be something ill need as well as the camera doesnt have a very long cable.

Im hanging the bloody thing off the side of my pc at the moment but it moves everytime i need to plug out something so its not worth a ****e long term.

I guess if you stand up and start marching on the spot it might feel a bit more real?

btw doesn't the HIVE use your actual position in a room to move around? I think that's why you need a big room *thinking Star Trek Holodeck here*

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Robinson the Journey

Is it out already?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Denisoftus wrote: »
    Is it out already?
    It's out tomorrow from what I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Nailz wrote: »
    It's out tomorrow from what I remember.

Looks like its out in US, if anyone has US account time to play and share experience :), quite expensive thought, $59, same price as B1, but surely B1 is better value for money.

Advertisement