Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Update 4.5 is out tomorrow and with it some PSVR updates. Mainly 3D Blu Rays now work through the PSVR and there is an improvement to the home screen when you exit out of a game. If you have the screen set to small or medium it will now show in 120htz rather than 90 making it look a tiny bit better :)

But also you can now copy games to a USB Hard Drive if you are stuck for space.

Is it only 3D Blu Ray's that will work or is there any file type that it supports? Been on look out for 3D Blu Ray's in local shops but no sign of any...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Is it only 3D Blu Ray's that will work or is there any file type that it supports? Been on look out for 3D Blu Ray's in local shops but no sign of any...

I think right now it is just Blu Ray 3D, but hopefully sideloading a MKV movie file will come along. I've seen some talk n reddit about getting high res 360 videos working with Littlestar, but not 3D.

I've only got one blu ray as I never got a 3D TV, I'll be checking all the bargin bins now for Sharknado 3D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

mrcheez wrote: »

lol that is the only one I had purchased, held off watching it until I got a 3D option.

Update is out this morning, downloading at home now will hopefully be able to test it out tonight.

"You ready? You look ready"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Anyone playing DIRT VR? I got the game with VR DLC bundled in Argos for €49.

Looks much better than DriveClub and the sense of actually being in a car, to me, seems much better. It's actually easier to play in VR mode!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭stevexo

I tried out the blu-ray 3d feature yesterday evening.
    I found the screen drifting to the left for the first half hour or so - it settled down after that.
    I watched Tron Legacy, I was expecting more from it. Ill give another one a go soon.

Watched about 30mins of dredd. It is only ok, works best on a medium screen. Small has almost no 3D effect and large is too close. The 3D ends up looking fake. Almost like the actor nearest the screen is standing in front of a different screen. Two 2D images giving depth rather than a 3D effect.

Prob wouldnt watch too many films in it to be honest.

Watched about 30mins of dredd. It is only ok, works best on a medium screen. Small has almost no 3D effect and large is too close. The 3D ends up looking fake. Almost like the actor nearest the screen is standing in front of a different screen. Two 2D images giving depth rather than a 3D effect.

I have a 3D TV so can prob watch it on that instead. Was the PS4 always able to play 3D BluRays before, and the 4.5 update is purely to enable it on PSVR ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

mrcheez wrote: »
    I have a 3D TV so can prob watch it on that instead. Was the PS4 always able to play 3D BluRays before, and the 4.5 update is purely to enable it on PSVR ?

Yes, I only found out last weekend but my brother has been watching 3D BluRays on it for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

Even with 3D glasses on a 3dtv I too always felt it was like 2 layers of 2D giving a 3D effect.

Having said that some 3D movies are meant to be better than others. Best to look online for reviews of the 3D effect in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

3d is the biggest sack of ****e gimmick going and has basically died out at this stage. When you see that most new tvs no longer support it that says everything.

If wanna try it out dont go buying the movies at full price!

Gravity was pretty superb in 3D it has to be said

Dredd was the best use of 3d that I've seen. Haven't seen Gravity in 3d though, so I'm open to correction!

Dredd was the best use of 3d that I've seen. Haven't seen Gravity in 3d though, so I'm open to correction!

Dredd used 3D superbly but it's only really appreciable in situations that demand it (the drug effects, or bullet time etc).

Gravity uses 3D to good effect pretty much throughout the whole film. I sat about 4 foot from my 55" with 3D glasses on and it's mind blowing*, you really feel like you are in space, so worth a try in PSVR :)

*this was a 20GB torrent I was watching, so gonna buy the BluRays of Dredd and Gravity to watch em again properly

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Got myself the PSVR, Camera, PSVR worlds and Resident Evil 7 today. Looking forward to experiencing it on my Pro!

I have some money left over for a few of the online games, what's the best value for experience on the store? I'm interested in the 'Apollo 11' & 'The Martian' has anyone tried them also?

Klair88 wrote: »
    Got myself the PSVR, Camera, PSVR worlds and Resident Evil 7 today. Looking forward to experiencing it on my Pro!

I have some money left over for a few of the online games, what's the best value for experience on the store? I'm interested in the 'Apollo 11' & 'The Martian' has anyone tried them also?

Until Dawn: A Rush of Blood for €19.99 is probably the one I will be getting when I get the PSVR (works best with the motion controllers if you have those)

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ie/games/until-dawn-rush-of-blood/cid=EP9000-CUSA02350_00-RUSHOFBLOOD00001

Notable ones touted online include:

Rez Infinite
    Batman Arkham VR
    Thumper

There don't seem to be any sales in the VR stuff at the moment on the PS Store though :/

The Martian is supposed to be rubbish, but Apollo 11 might be good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufi29GY3tG0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Apollo 11 is only alright. Get it if you're into space and all that jazz, if not don't bother.

The lift off is ok, earth orbit and moon orbit are nice but the moon surface doesn't look great.

For context of POV, always had an interest in the historical space race and potential mars mission etc

Nice to see the PSVR dropping in price on Amazon now. Only £20 but should be a downward trend encouraging more uptake and consequently more developer interest, and better games!

Already outsold Vive and Oculus but selling more can only be a good thing for future of VR.

Just need to lower the price of the damned move controllers now back to PS3 levels...

Just bought Mirrors Edge Catalyst a few days ago, would be amazing if a game like this got VR support or even just an add on for exploring free roam...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Sony finally commented on PSVR sales. Looks to be a hit. I was a bit worried prior to getting mine when I couldn't find sales figures online thinking it may go by along the lines of the Vita but hopefully the news now means developers will commit to the platform going forward :

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/26/business/sony-playstation-vr-sales.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

Just bought Mirrors Edge Catalyst a few days ago, would be amazing if a game like this got VR support or even just an add on for exploring free roam...

The Witness would be my choice, such beautiful graphics

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Tried Virry VR there the other day, with a hope of impressing the kids.

They weren't too impressed but I have to say I enjoyed it. Really does feel like the animals are right in front of you. The entire experience feels like it's aimed at young teens with it's UI and quiz style questions.

To be honest, I don't know if it's worth the full tenner but if it goes for a fiver or under, I'd definitely pick it up. some gorgeous landscapes in it. AND BABY ELEPHANTS!!

In true Sony form they have hidden another useful PSVR feature :)

To improve the picture quality of the 3D blu Rays, start the movie. Hit pause. Select Settings and find the option "Noise Reduction". It defaults to 1, set it to off. Everything should be much sharper now.

Anyone know what the story is with Gamercon with regards the VR is it only useful to attend the VR part if you don't own a VR or will I get to try out Farpoint and upcoming titles?

Havent played PSVR in a week, but Battlezone and until Dawn came since and going to get stuck into Battlezone now!

Might have to wait for an update to install though, lol!

https://uploadvr.com/psvrs-battlezone-adds-new-missions-weapon-enemy-free-update/

Anyone know what the story is with Gamercon with regards the VR is it only useful to attend the VR part if you don't own a VR or will I get to try out Farpoint and upcoming titles?

Reckon they'd be selling PSVR bundles at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'd be surprised if they had new upcoming/unreleased games. I'd expect it to be a selection of already available titles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

Klair88 wrote: »

I'm addicted to the Wolves Within atm.

Advertisement