Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I almost traded my VR yesterday but decided to put it on to play it again and quickly changed my mind. I really hope that they start putting out some releases soon though. Might buy RE7 again just to give madhouse mode a play through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Pretty much all the major publishers are not making games for it unless Sony give them some cash to help, they just can't make money out of it.

We will be relying on Sony's own studios to build games for it and smaller indie studios building little games and "experiences" until it gets a big enough install base for the others to invest in it.

Shame because I've made it past the motion sickness phase and can now play it for long periods without any major issues so playing more full games is what I want to be doing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Reckon Farpoint with the gun peripheral will be a game changer?

Was hoping RE7 would be the game changer but it's still all quiet on that front. Hopefully Farpoint and Star Trek will be the ones that kick start it. I'm the same, want proper games rather than experiences with minimum gameplay.

What happened to Tekken 7? That was due out last month but haven't seen nor heard anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

mrcheez wrote: »
    Reckon Farpoint with the gun peripheral will be a game changer?

I'm hoping it's good, because the concept will really improve immersion in FPS. And it really needs to be good to drive future use of the peripheral. I'm fairly guarded though. A very short campaign with what some (with longer hands on) have called dull and repetitive gameplay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Credit goes to Eoin McLovin on the PS Bargain Alerts thread, but the Easter Sales on the PlayStation Store is the first Store sale to have discounts on a good amount of PSVR titles!

https://psprices.com/region-ie/games/vr/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

Is Surgeon Simulator worth a go for 12.99? I presume it uses the Move Controllers?

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Has anyone got any tips to prevent the lenses fogging up. I've got to take the headset off every five minutes to clean the lenses..really annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Hi all. So from an outside view, PSVR seems to be a very dry spot in terms of really decent AAA games (setting aside the single RE7)

Is there any reason whatsoever buying a VR? Seems like Sony have dumped it in terms of the next big thing...

Any tuth in this?

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Has anyone got any tips to prevent the lenses fogging up. I've got to take the headset off every five minutes to clean the lenses..really annoying!

Allow your head or forehead time to cool down if you're just finished some physical actiivty.

That's the reason mine would fog up. When my head was cool i could play for a few hours without it fogging up on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭gmg678

picked up Werewolves Within last night.  getting the hang of each role still, but its a great game and lots of fun.

sticker wrote: »
    Hi all. So from an outside view, PSVR seems to be a very dry spot in terms of really decent AAA games (setting aside the single RE7)

Is there any reason whatsoever buying a VR? Seems like Sony have dumped it in terms of the next big thing...

Any tuth in this?

Don't think so as they are introducing new peripherals such as the Aim controller.

Judging by what I've seen on YouTube the Aim controller looks pretty fantastic. You can finally feel like you are in an FPS. Shame there's no rumble feedback, but perhaps a 3rd party version will have this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Any tuth in this?

It's fair to say that there are not a huge amount of AAA games, no one is going to argue there.

In saying that, I'd argue that it doesn't strictly NEED AAA levels of games at the moment. The immersive nature of the gameplay means even indie games are pretty mindblowing.

I'd recommend buying it simply because it feels like you're in the future of gaming. Whether or not we'll get massive levels of investment from studios will depend on possible sales of the headset itself. I wouldn't believe Sony have ignored it yet, every week there is something new on the store for the VR headset

Read some articles yesterday that mentioned that Sony are planning on introducing VR gaming to arcades.

Anyone else using the Without Parole Games channel as there go to guy for PSVR reviews?

Heres a quick sampler:

The guy on the right who presents the full reviews has a very calm voice, and presents them really well I think.
    He doesnt over talk or use gimmicky fake enthusiasm like most youtubers.

Doge wrote: »
    Is Surgeon Simulator worth a go for 12.99? I presume it uses the Move Controllers?

And to answer my own question heres his review of Surgeon Simulator:

Apparently theres been a few patches since which improve tracking,
    But even at that it doesnt seem that fun to play, not as fun as Job Simulator anyway (i've only played the demo so far).

Played Werewolves Within for the first time last night, at long last, and I have to say I really enjoyed it! Took a bit of getting used to the roles, literally spent 6/7 rounds just reading the book and saying the minimal. :)

I think maybe we should organise a few games of Werewolves Within among boardsies, would anyone be up for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Nailz wrote: »
    Played Werewolves Within for the first time last night, at long last, and I have to say I really enjoyed it! Took a bit of getting used to the roles, literally spent 6/7 rounds just reading the book and saying the minimal. :)

I think maybe we should organise a few games of Werewolves Within among boardsies, would anyone be up for that?

Love that game but havent played it in a while as I am far too lazy to to use VR LOL, but defo be up for a boards game. Wednesday nights are good for me. Thats my offical game night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

RedXIV wrote: »
    It's fair to say that there are not a huge amount of AAA games, no one is going to argue there.

In saying that, I'd argue that it doesn't strictly NEED AAA levels of games at the moment. The immersive nature of the gameplay means even indie games are pretty mindblowing.

I'd recommend buying it simply because it feels like you're in the future of gaming. Whether or not we'll get massive levels of investment from studios will depend on possible sales of the headset itself. I wouldn't believe Sony have ignored it yet, every week there is something new on the store for the VR headset

I see a used PSVR for sale with RE7 for €350. it just seems such a big price for the limited experiences.

Do you guys who have bought it honestly feel the hardware is worth the price you paid in terms of time played and games en route?

I see a used PSVR for sale with RE7 for €350. it just seems such a big price for the limited experiences.

Do you guys who have bought it honestly feel the hardware is worth the price you paid in terms of time played and games en route?

Personally, yes.

It's given me experiences that regular games have struggled to give me over the past decade; it's something new and exciting, it makes most non-VR games I play now feel so 'cookie cutter' and bland because my expectations are often met but never surpassed.

Even though I own tens of VR titles and have then neatly organised in a folder on my Pro, I never knew how to prepare myself for any of them, and often times I've been blown away through experiencing those games and totally surpassed my initial expectation which were frequently based of skepticism.

Then there were also times were my experiences were total crap, and have shown up the very primitive stage that commercial VR hardware is currently in. But therein lies the beauty of VR, it has someways to go and has many improvements to make yet, and with that I believe we will see new styles of games and gameplay emerging, the hardware will start to become more and more capable and eventually cheaper.

I'm not saying that the crap experiences are the ones that make the VR worth the money (that'd be some funky logic :pac:), but being invested in VR at this stage makes what happens in the future more interesting. Even though I'm a child of the early 90's, I'd equate it to what I imagine it'd be like seeing the leaps in gaming that occurred between the 1980's and the 2000's.
    Normal games have stayed the same since then really, it's only graphics that have improved and ultimately it's going to get boring the more time goes on.
    VR is offering something totally different, and it can only get better.

That's not to say that the current landscape of PSVR isn't worth the money either, I think there's enough games out there at the moment that will give you value for money in the long term. When you think of the things that many people splurge €400+ on cumulatively without even thinking about it, for me PSVR has been a much better use of my time and money than many of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Dirt Rally and VR bundled for 25 Euro on PSN - I think its pretty good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'm waiting till E3 and hoping some decent Full AAA games (like Resi 7) are announced for VR.

I think that's what's really needed to push it forward.

I go back and forth to be honest. I almost traded in a few weeks back but remembered the frustration of them being out of stock, the sacrifices in terms of treats while saving for it, the wow feeling when I use it. Murphy law dictated that the day I sold it would be the day or week a new title would be announced.

So in the end I held onto it and wait in hope for the next full length game (Star Wars, Tekken 7, some other one due soon). Then I'll be happy again. There's still a few things on PS store I want so must get them.

All that said, it's been at least 4 weeks since I last put it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I'm waiting till E3 and hoping some decent Full AAA games (like Resi 7) are announced for VR.

I think that's what's really needed to push it forward.

Ace Combat 7 in VR will be great. Thing is I think they only made some missions fully VR and have to be played in first person for the PS4 only. The main game is still played normally.

Danick wrote: »
    Dirt Rally and VR bundled for 25 Euro on PSN - I think its pretty good

Super deal, Dirt VR is by far my favourite VR game. Resident Evil is class but I'm too scared to play it :pac:

As hardware yes it is worth it, it is really impressive for the cost. I've mentioned before that VR is a risk but one worth taking for €400 (or the €350 deal you saw). I wasn't willing to risk the 600-900 on the PC options.

It is very likely that VR will fail, despite the huge surge in interest, the core big publishers are just not making games for it because the install base is so small. Think PS VIta & Wii-U good hardware, some good games but overall just doesn't get the support.

Once Augmented reality comes online it will take over as it adds a layer to the normal experience, and compliments it rather than trying to change the traditional gaming on TV option.

You will get your money's worth, even now with the limited games and short experiences. You won't play it every day, prob not even every week but every time you put it on you will wonder why you don't play it more often.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Dredd used 3D superbly but it's only really appreciable in situations that demand it (the drug effects, or bullet time etc).

Gravity uses 3D to good effect pretty much throughout the whole film. I sat about 4 foot from my 55" with 3D glasses on and it's mind blowing*, you really feel like you are in space, so worth a try in PSVR :)

*this was a 20GB torrent I was watching, so gonna buy the BluRays of Dredd and Gravity to watch em again properly

If anyone is looking for a particularly excellent 3D Blu Ray to test out, try The Walk

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/DVD-Blu-ray/Walk-3D-2015-Region-Free-Joseph-Gordon-Levitt/B0162U291Y/

I got it on Amazon for around GBP 5.55 the other day, and I just saw it on my Samsung 3D TV via the PS4. Pretty gobsmacked how it teases out your acrophobia (fear of heights), so I'd say it'd be intense on the PSVR.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

You will get your money's worth, even now with the limited games and short experiences. You won't play it every day, prob not even every week but every time you put it on you will wonder why you don't play it more often.

Fully agree, have thought about selling up a few times but never did.

Anybody getting Starblood Arena? If you already have and played what did you think? Is it another experience or a proper 7+ hour game?

I'm interested but want to finish what I'm playing atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

Love that game but havent played it in a while as I am far too lazy to to use VR LOL, but defo be up for a boards game. Wednesday nights are good for me. Thats my offical game night :D

Wednesdays is the night that the Ubisoft developers live stream them playing the game with people. I've been lucky enough to be included in a few of theirgames

Farpoint has gone gold and is due for release in Ireland on the 17th of May, 2017.
    http://www.gamesradar.com/farpoints-story-trailer-is-here-will-it-be-enough-to-get-you-excited-about-ps-vr-again/

The news was released simultaneously with a new story trailer:

You can already pre-order it from Smyths for €60 (game only), and for an extra €30 you can get it with the Aim Controller, so €90 all-in...

• Advertisement

Will the old sharpshooter work with it? I hope so, it worked really well for Killzone as a light gun back in the day.

Advertisement