Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

+1 for the advanced pupil distance tool. Also, a some headsets at the start were sold with protective film over the lenses that people weren't aware of. I'm not sure if that's still the case, but they did cause issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

+1 for the advanced pupil distance tool. Also, a some headsets at the start were sold with protective film over the lenses that people weren't aware of. I'm not sure if that's still the case, but they did cause issues.

Yeah I spotted that mentioned in this thread...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1339552

I *think* I removed all plastic film, but maybe something has remained, don't think so though.

The thread above mentions that PS4 Pro doesn't have as many issues regarding blurriness so it may well be my vanilla PS4 that's the issue.

Like when I look at the gun in Farpoint, it seems that I'm looking at it through a sheet of clingfilm, even when I bring it up close.

I'll try messing with the eye measurements this eve...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

mrcheez wrote: »
    Yup as I mentioned
    Apologies! Must've grazed over that.
    I'll second Grumpypants' suggestion of configuring the pupil distance to the outside of both pupils as your eye won't separate outwards. Whereas if your eyes focus inwards to try and and make out what your seeing you are likely to strain your eyes, which is probably where this blur effect is coming from.

Nailz wrote: »
    Apologies! Must've grazed over that.
    I'll second Grumpypants' suggestion of configuring the pupil distance to the outside of both pupils as your eye won't separate outwards. Whereas if your eyes focus inwards to try and and make out what your seeing you are likely to strain your eyes, which is probably where this blur effect is coming from.

OK, so aim for a location AWAY from the nose right?

Should it be the top-corner of the pupil, or somewhere on the iris above the pupil?

OK, so aim for a location AWAY from the nose right?

Should it be the top-corner of the pupil, or somewhere on the iris above the pupil?
    Yes. The outside of each pupil on the X-axis and the centre of the pupil on the Y-axis. If it doesn't look right on the Y-axis when you have the headset on you can just shimmy the headset vertically until it looks alright.

If this doesn't work for you I'd say you might need to consult a professional to see if this VR craic is okay for your particular eyes.

• Advertisement

Just so I know, should it look as clear as a PS2 or PS3?

At the moment it looks like an N64 for me (clarity-wise)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

What are you playing?

It's not extremely clear for some games, others are fine though (Batman, Resi 5 for example are grand. Driveclub looks like PS2)

Depends on the game usually as it's reliant on how well optimised the games are for graphical fidelity in VR. If it's something like Resi 7, VR Worlds, or Robinson: The Journey, it should look close to a PS3 game. If it's something like DriveClub however, it's definitely closer to a PS2. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I definitely noticed a haze that drove me mad at the start. The pupils outwards helped reduce that. Better games show it less.

I would double check you took off the film on the lens, it will be two small circles of plastic. Also make sure you give it a good clean to remove any residue or mist.

Nailz wrote: »
    Depends on the game usually as it's reliant on how well optimised the games are for graphical fidelity in VR. If it's something like Resi 7, VR Worlds, or Robinson: The Journey, it should look close to a PS3 game. If it's something like DriveClub however, it's definitely closer to a PS2. :pac:

VR Worlds as an example... definitely not as clear as a PS3. More like a PS1 or 480p.

Will check the lens plastic and eye config this eve, thanks.

• Advertisement

VR worlds is pretty bad, if you don't have Resi Evil 7 download the first hour demo from the store. That is pretty good.

But the best bet is to download the Joshua Bell Violin demo thing from the store. You just watch a guy playing a song in a 360-degree video. But it is real life footage so very clear. If the blur is there for that something is up.

VR worlds is pretty bad, if you don't have Resi Evil 7 download the first hour demo from the store. That is pretty good.

But the best bet is to download the Joshua Bell Violin demo thing from the store. You just watch a guy playing a song in a 360-degree video. But it is real life footage so very clear. If the blur is there for that something is up.

cool thanks. I'm on a crappy 2MB connection (in Dublin too) so might take a day or so before I get it.

I have Kitchen demo downloading at the mo though, so I think I should have that this eve.

I noticed the Kitchen demo was pretty bad, lots of black and white light that the PSVR doesn't do a good job of handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Ninjavampire

I noticed the Kitchen demo was pretty bad, lots of black and white light that the PSVR doesn't do a good job of handling.

Definitely, but Resi 7 is a different story. The graphics are much improved, especially on the Pro!

Tried out a few different settings with the eye distance thing, but think my eyes are borked today probably as a result!

Did encounter VR Playroom during my testing.. wow that game is incredible, particularly the platformer. I didn't understand how platformers could benefit from VR, but that's undoubtedly the most immersive experience I've had with VR to date (including Farpoint!)

Got vertigo looking over the sheer drops.

Also I think yer wan from Kitchen is hot... I always go for crazy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Any trouble with your demo disk? Headmaster won't load at all and the others are painfully slow to load, if they load at all.

Any trouble with your demo disk? Headmaster won't load at all and the others are painfully slow to load, if they load at all.

I haven't used the Demo disc that came with it, I downloaded the one from the Irish PS Store which seems to have all the games the US version does (more than the 8 that comes with the PSVR demo disc)

I can't seem to find the Res 7 demo though... annoying :/

EDIT: Found it here: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ie/games/resident-evil-7-teaser-demo-beginning-hour/cid=EP0102-CUSA04767_00-BH70000000DEMO01

Strange couldn't find it via the PS4 interface last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Sound, downloading the demo disk now. That'll keep me home tonight. Tried the Resi demo, it's horrible in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Sound, downloading the demo disk now. That'll keep me home tonight. Tried the Resi demo, it's horrible in a good way.

I want to try it, but on the other hand, I really really really don't want to try it :-?

fixxxer wrote: »
    I want to try it, but on the other hand, I really really really don't want to try it :-?

Is this Kitchen or the one-hour demo?

Kitchen is pretty bad as there's no way you can dodge the knife in your face :pac:

• Advertisement

Is this Kitchen or the one-hour demo?

Kitchen is pretty bad as there's no way you can dodge the knife in your face :pac:

Resident evil. The 1st person perspective is bad enough, but imagine being actively surrounded by it. Might try Tekken VR instead :D

fixxxer wrote: »
    Resident evil. The 1st person perspective is bad enough, but imagine being actively surrounded by it. Might try Tekken VR instead :D

There are 2 demos for Res Evil: "Kitchen" and "Beginning Hour"

I tried Kitchen last night and it's pretty intense... grainy but intense, albeit short. Beginning Hour is in my download queue now though.

There are 2 demos for Res Evil: "Kitchen" and "Beginning Hour"

I tried Kitchen last night and it's pretty intense... grainy but intense, albeit short. Beginning Hour is in my download queue now though.

Ah sorry, I didn't realize. Two to get the guts to try then instead of one :pac:

So, this is still blurry for me :(

As an example, load VR Playroom. All the planets appear quite blurry... then load up the 3D platformer level and the coins hovering in the air are quite blurred.

e.g.

It looks like this for me:

Playroom-1-1-myt7d2dfi9u6f8smkpeix8vm5y0wfqhn8iahprhb08.jpg

rather than this:

robots_rescue.jpeg

Am I expecting too much, or do I need to get my eyes checked?!? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

So, this is still blurry for me :(

As an example, load VR Playroom. All the planets appear quite blurry... then load up the 3D platformer level and the coins hovering in the air are quite blurred.

e.g.

It looks like this for me:

Playroom-1-1-myt7d2dfi9u6f8smkpeix8vm5y0wfqhn8iahprhb08.jpg

rather than this:

robots_rescue.jpeg

Am I expecting too much, or do I need to get my eyes checked?!? :)

Have you tried adjusting the distance the lens are from your eyes?

Have you tried adjusting the distance the lens are from your eyes?

yep so I've tried...

- Setting the eye-to-eye measurement about 30 times (even know what it should be as I measured using a ruler and mirror, but tried other values as well)

- Adjusting the headset lens away from face

- Adjusting headset position so I get the text clear (it appears clear although letters to LHS/RHS have the white fade around them which is probably to be expected)

- Setting the default resolution for PS4 to 1080p (based on a reddit suggestion)

- Configured the light sensors several times

- Played in dark room / and light room.

- Adjusted camera several times

So it must be hardware?

To put my mind to rest, can you confirm that the clarity should be as per the 2nd picture I posted above in that specific game please?

i.e. should the controller appear as clear as that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I bought finished and traded Res 7 before I ever had my VR I'm wondering would be it worth a rebuy and play through again on the VR , played the kitchen but its painfully short and downloading beginning hour now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

yep so I've tried...

- Setting the eye-to-eye measurement about 30 times (even know what it should be as I measured using a ruler and mirror, but tried other values as well)

- Adjusting the headset lens away from face

- Adjusting headset position so I get the text clear (it appears clear although letters to LHS/RHS have the white fade around them which is probably to be expected)

- Setting the default resolution for PS4 to 1080p (based on a reddit suggestion)

- Configured the light sensors several times

- Played in dark room / and light room.

- Adjusted camera several times

So it must be hardware?

To put my mind to rest, can you confirm that the clarity should be as per the 2nd picture I posted above in that specific game please?

i.e. should the controller appear as clear as that?

Some units shipped with plastic lense protectors attached to the lenses. By any chance could yours have these still on?

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Some units shipped with plastic lense protectors attached to the lenses. By any chance could yours have these still on?

That was mentioned earlier alright... tbh if I did have them on they'd be hard to miss!

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/57c48e/heres_a_picture_of_the_protective_films_on_the/

Looks like the lenses might be fubared IF the image I posted before is an accurate representation of what others are seeing (and I am not)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Morshlac

I seemed to have gotten email from Sony saying whoopseedaisy we see you've tried VR with list of games.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstation-vr/games/?et_cid=em_306608&et_rid=51646562&Linkid=VRWE1-T-171016-CE-HRD-WES&emcid=em-pe-93487/

Since War Thunder seems to be listed holding out hope this will make an appearance to PSVR at some point!

Advertisement