Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Played the first hour and while the graphics didn't bug me (coming at it as a Nintendo head all my life and being used to downgrades), I was expecting more scares.
    I'm guessing that's just building tension though and the frights will come thick and fast soon....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

smokingman wrote: »
    Played the first hour and while the graphics didn't bug me (coming at it as a Nintendo head all my life and being used to downgrades), I was expecting more scares.
    I'm guessing that's just building tension though and the frights will come thick and fast soon....

Surely you bought the candle?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

mrcheez wrote: »
    Surely you bought the candle?!?

I've been looking for the candle myself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

whats peoples thoughts on the spiderman demo. Impressive but very short !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

s8n wrote: »
    whats peoples thoughts on the spiderman demo. Impressive but very short !!

Pretty terrible in fairness. Graphics are very poor even for PSVR. You spend 90% of the time in the tutorial, and then just as something happens and you get to do the only bit of Spiderman that is cool, and websling through the city, it ends.

It took longer for me to set up the headset than play the thing.

• Advertisement

Found this handy article for anyone who wants to experiment with the IDP settings without having to constantly retake the photo of your eyes (which gets kinda frustrating after the 5th or 6th time as you have to estimate where 70cm is each time).

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/58jb5y/ipdeyetoeye_measurement_number_cheat_sheet/

Basically don't bother taking the photo of your face, just take a photo wearing the headset and the software will default to 63mm, then just move the LEFT pointer in each photo the required number of clicks using the crosshair button.

So, no need to take off the helmet and you can instantly see if any improvement.

btw measuring your eyes with a ruler to get your actual IPD doesn't work, I tried. When I did the optometrist visit today she told me I have 65mm distance, whereas my measurement (and the Playstation camera!) swear I have 70mm.

On the plus side, she said I have 20/20 vision so I guess the blur thing must be the IPD setting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

This cinema app on the Japanase PS Store looks awesome but don't get too excited, it doesn't support files on your usb, network or even blurays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

The guy that runs that channel is a horrible, miserable, class A knob.

The guy that runs that channel is a horrible, miserable, class A knob.

:pac:

Heres a game thats been confirmed to be in development for PSVR and one I'm personally lookomg forward to:

Ultrawings

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Been playing Here They Lie today, Got it when I 1st got my PSVR played it once and got awful motion sickness went back to it tonight seen as I well have my VR legs now

What a weird trippy sometimes scary mental case of a game , you're not doing much in it bar chasing after a girl who may not be real but its the stuff that goes on in the world is something else almost captivating, Its fairly limited and absolutely nothing on Resi 7 but its enjoyable and definitely would like more head **** type games like this

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    :pac:

Heres a game thats been confirmed to be in development for PSVR and one I'm personally lookomg forward to:

Ultrawings

Have that for my rift. It's pretty great if you loved Pilotwings.

Been playing Here They Lie today, Got it when I 1st got my PSVR played it once and got awful motion sickness went back to it tonight seen as I well have my VR legs now

What a weird trippy sometimes scary mental case of a game , you're not doing much in it bar chasing after a girl who may not be real but its the stuff that goes on in the world is something else almost captivating, Its fairly limited and absolutely nothing on Resi 7 but its enjoyable and definitely would like more head **** type games like this

Yeah really enjoying the freakish world of Here They Lie too. I never got motion sickness in it and I haven't really had a problem in any other game bar the first night with the PSVR when I loaded up Farpoint, but haven't had a problem since, even with the rollercoaster in Until Dawn.

A tip I have for reducing risk of motion sickness is to have a fan blowing on you as it reduces the hot flushes you get down your back when the motion sickness creeps up.

Can buy pedestal fans for about €15 delivered on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Doge wrote: »
    This cinema app on the Japanase PS Store looks awesome but don't get too excited, it doesn't support files on your usb, network or even blurays.

So, it's only for playing videos in the app itself? It looks great in fairness.

Anyone looking for relatively cheap Playstation Move controllers go here for £54.49:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LVWSNN4/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

approx €62 including delivery to Ireland from techyes... but be QUICK as only 2 left!!

No need to use Parcel Wizard as no VAT charged since the seller isn't Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Anyone looking for relatively cheap Playstation Move controllers go here for £54.49:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LVWSNN4/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

approx €62 including delivery to Ireland from techyes... but be QUICK as only 2 left!!

No need to use Parcel Wizard as no VAT charged since the seller isn't Amazon

Cex have them now for 22 - still much higher than this time last year but not as bad as the last 6 months

Danick wrote: »
    Cex have them now for 22 - still much higher than this time last year but not as bad as the last 6 months

Used no?

Has anyone tried it out with PC yet and how is it?

Used no?

Yes but I got some in September - I knew a price hike would happen and they are like new

You don't know where those moves have been.

I'd be more concerned about battery life and getting a full warranty for an extra €18, but yeah 2nd hand controllers are not really my thing if I can avoid em

There's only so much pizza grease and snot you can get out from between the buttons unless you bleach the thing! ;)

If they were like new though, that's good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I'd be more concerned about battery life and getting a full warranty for an extra €18, but yeah 2nd hand controllers are not really my thing if I can avoid em

There's only so much pizza grease and snot you can get out from between the buttons unless you bleach the thing! ;)

Take them apart, soak all plastic parts in warm soapy water, clean with a toothbrush, let air dry, put back together, and there you have a brand new move Controller.

I do this with all my second hand controllers. Gives them a new lease of life.

CEX offer a 2 year warranty on everything they sell - I didn't take them apart instead I used window cleaner and a toothbrush - then I use Meguiars plastix to polish and they look and feel like new. Battery power has been excellent - I bought a charging station for them.

The good thing about the move controllers is that they were probably barely even used by previous owners as there wasnt much content for them and were a bit of a gimmick before PSVR launched.

So you're really getting them in relatively new condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I don't think I can use mine any more. Been having more migraines lately, and this is the only new thing I have. Do they hold on to their value when resold?

fixxxer wrote: »
    I don't think I can use mine any more. Been having more migraines lately, and this is the only new thing I have. Do they hold on to their value when resold?

Have you tried lowering the brightness down? I use mine at 50% which is a lot better and colour contrast is improved.

Also I use it in short 30 min bursts rather than hours at a time and also use it in a well lit room as this improves the camera tracking (originally I found my 2D screen kept rotating to the left/right)

I think used they are selling used for approx 80% of the value on adverts, but you might get more on ebay.

Finally remember to breathe normally, as you can sometimes get caught up in the moment, and the lack of oxygen might be part of the migraine issues :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Occulus rift with 7 games and 2 touch controllers now £400 on amazon from today:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MCRY3Q7/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i1?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B01MCRY3Q7&pd_rd_r=AZ75E68KSFDY3XZQCC40&pd_rd_w=7XGUL&pd_rd_wg=J7SSd&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=SPHX36NSYF9TH4Q3TJG5&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=16f14aeb-bd11-4e9e-8c26-9ca0139074ee&pf_rd_i=desktop

Bit of a game changer when this is now cheaper than PSVR + Camera + 2 (poor) move controllers.

The price drop scheduled to last for the next 6 weeks.

This is presumably Oculus getting in before the Microsoft $400 HMDs release towards the end of this year.

What do you think - will this impact the take-up of PSVR? I guess alot depends on the numbers with the required PC - but the specs are no longer as high end as they were.

I'm sickened by this. Just bought a PSVR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Oh, sorry.

Well it is kind of inevitable with this sort of tech that whatever you buy will be superseded by something cheaper/better/newer pretty soon - it doesn't make you purchase in any way worse.

Which I know is easy to say when you are not the one who regrets a recent expensive purchase.

Have you got a PC spec to run the Oculus?

I'd have to spend another €500 to get mine up to the level, so not too bothered.

Will probably invest in a new machine when the next iteration of VR comes out, but I'm happy to stick with PSVR for this generation.

• Advertisement

Have you got a PC spec to run the Oculus?

I'd have to spend another €500 to get mine up to the level, so not too bothered.

Will probably invest in a new machine when the next iteration of VR comes out, but I'm happy to stick with PSVR for this generation.

Could probably get a new video card, but otherwise it's fine. Might just wait and see what other headsets come out this year. That tech is surely being improved all the time.

Advertisement