Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Fian wrote: »
    Occulus rift with 7 games and 2 touch controllers now £400 on amazon from today:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MCRY3Q7/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i1?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B01MCRY3Q7&pd_rd_r=AZ75E68KSFDY3XZQCC40&pd_rd_w=7XGUL&pd_rd_wg=J7SSd&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=SPHX36NSYF9TH4Q3TJG5&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=16f14aeb-bd11-4e9e-8c26-9ca0139074ee&pf_rd_i=desktop

Bit of a game changer when this is now cheaper than PSVR + Camera + 2 (poor) move controllers.

The price drop scheduled to last for the next 6 weeks.

This is presumably Oculus getting in before the Microsoft $400 HMDs release towards the end of this year.

What do you think - will this impact the take-up of PSVR? I guess alot depends on the numbers with the required PC - but the specs are no longer as high end as they were.

Ordered and gonna sell on my psvr at market value with move controller's and games at some point. I just never used it sadly. And I use my PC WAY more than my PS4 tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Ordered and gonna sell on my psvr at market value with move controller's and games at some point. I just never used it sadly. And I use my PC WAY more than my PS4 tbh

I am contemplating on selling my PS VR also, with 2 x Move controllers and camera, anyone any idea roughly what they sell for now?... I would probably rebuy it but just need try get some cash...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I am contemplating on selling my PS VR also, with 2 x Move controllers and camera, anyone any idea roughly what they sell for now?... I would probably rebuy it but just need try get some cash...

Absolutely no idea but I doubt it's up at crazy prices anymore. I'll sell mine with everything at a fair price in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

I bought a PSVR the day it came out and only had a real chance to play it last weekend - I played through London Heist - Batman VR - played some Driveclub VR and I was blown away - I can't believe I didn't really pick it up since Christmas - Are there any must have games or experiences I should try? Thanks

Driveclub graphics weren't the best - not complaining but would it make a difference if I upgrade to PS 4 Pro? I'm thinking of upgrading in December as I imagine there will be a price drop when the new xbox is released.

Any advice greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Get the Bound demo. The full game is €6.99 now.

Thumper is one that blew me away.

Then the usual suspects like Res Evil, Playroom VR, Until Dawn...loads of demos out there

• Advertisement

And yes upgrading to Pro improves graphics in many PSVR games

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Pro is OVER-rated.....soo overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭stevexo

Danick wrote: »
    I'm thinking of upgrading in December as I imagine there will be a price drop when the new xbox is released.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Don't do it! You don't need a devil on your shoulder for this one! Stick with what you have and you new snes mini :rolleyes:

stevexo wrote: »
    Don't do it! You don't need a devil on your shoulder for this one! Stick with what you have and you new snes mini :rolleyes:

Actually got any links regarding the PS Pro having no benefit for PSVR? Everywhere I've read that it improves the experience (sharper images etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Morshlac

mrcheez wrote: »
    stevexo wrote: »
    Actually got any links regarding the PS Pro having no benefit for PSVR? Everywhere I've read that it improves the experience (sharper images etc)

The impression I'm getting reading articles is that PSVR games as yet haven't taken advantage of the Pro to an extent that is worth upgrading. Its up to the developers to this..Then for normal gaming only worth it if have 4K TV. 

If was buying/replacing a PS for sure would go Pro..

• Advertisement

Morshlac wrote: »

The impression I'm getting reading articles is that PSVR games as yet haven't taken advantage of the Pro to an extent that is worth upgrading. Its up to the developers to this..Then for normal gaming only worth it if have 4K TV. 

If was buying/replacing a PS for sure would go Pro..

I scoured many reddit articles while I was researching the apparent blur I was getting (I've since resolved it!), and the consensus was that the Pro made a pretty noticeable improvement to the PSVR graphics, even for older games like VR Worlds.

It's possible that VR Worlds had an update tailored for the Pro, but there are too many reports saying that the Pro has improved graphics in PSVR for it to be discounted.

Res Evil apparently looks much better on Pro for example.

https://www.roadtovr.com/playstation-vr-psvr-on-ps4-pro-vs-ps4-review-comparison/

old review but is an actual comparison of games...

Personally seeing as many detractors on reddit and certainly will be an element of placebo effect for those who have upgraded......so far resolution improvement but maybe marginal?

https://www.roadtovr.com/playstation-vr-psvr-on-ps4-pro-vs-ps4-review-comparison/

old review but is an actual comparison of games...

Personally seeing as many detractors on reddit and certainly will be an element of placebo effect for those who have upgraded......so far resolution improvement but maybe marginal?

Yeah it seems to be more relevant for newer games or those that have had an update to take advantage of the Pro:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/16/15645182/farpoint-review-playstation-vr-psvr
    THE PS4 PRO DIFFERENCE

I played three hours of Farpoint on a standard PlayStation 4, and then finished on a PlayStation 4 Pro to get a working comparison of the visual difference between the system systems.

The game uses a technique called supersampling on the Pro that renders the image at a higher resolution than the screen can display, which decreases the jagged edges on the game’s textures. It’s hard to explain in text, but the result is an image that feels more comfortable and “real†when you’re inside it. The difference isn’t shocking, but it’s certainly a nice upgrade if you have the newer hardware.

My point really was, if you are buying a new PS4, go for the Pro.

The alternative (and one I'm considering trying) for us PS4 owners is to buy an upscaling HDMI cable like the mCable Gaming Edition.

It's expensive but I'm going to wait until the price lowers a bit. The reviews of this on YouTube sound pretty amazing, for how it improves the anti-aliasing in PSVR.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭stevexo

Haha sorry, no that was personal advice for him.
    He is usually the devil on my shoulder getting me to buy the new tech - any time i get a Facebook chat message from him I'm wondering what I'm going to end up buying now lol

On the plus side, I've converted someone to the psvr and they enjoyed driveclub, specially with the wheel.
    The kitchen demo while drunk was gas to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It's expensive but I'm going to wait until the price lowers a bit. The reviews of this on YouTube sound pretty amazing, for how it improves the anti-aliasing in PSVR.

I've both machines, the difference with the Pro isn't game changing, but it's certainly noticeable, especially in the likes of RE and Eve.

I've both machines, the difference with the Pro isn't game changing, but it's certainly noticeable, especially in the likes of RE and Eve.

I've been given a discount on the mCable and considering ordering it, I'll post up reviews here once I get it.

It's mainly beneficial to PS4 users and mildly beneficial to PS4 Pro users

http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/How_to_Calibrate_PlayStation_VR

"Camera adjustments involve you centering your face into three separate frames. Beginning on the left, place your face to fill the frame on screen."

Most of us sitting for PSVR right...so not quite getting this are we supposed to move our seats to fit head in the frame as it moves...or tilt sideways or something?? guessing we don't move the camera itself at all during this process..
    Had a look for video's can't seem to find one on the full current calibration.

The tracking light calibration was too hard cudn't do it lol ....didn't even get to eye distance..

can give it all another go tonight

http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/How_to_Calibrate_PlayStation_VR

"Camera adjustments involve you centering your face into three separate frames. Beginning on the left, place your face to fill the frame on screen."

Most of us sitting for PSVR right...so not quite getting this are we supposed to move our seats to fit head in the frame as it moves...or tilt sideways or something?? guessing we don't move the camera itself at all during this process..
    Had a look for video's can't seem to find one on the full current calibration.

The tracking light calibration was too hard cudn't do it lol ....didn't even get to eye distance..

can give it all another go tonight

Personally I couldn't understand the purpose of the camera adjustments with 3 separate positions simply because, as the camera is at the top of my 55" TV, when I'm sitting the camera can only take a shot of my forehead.

For general calibration I found it best to do it in a bright room. Defies logic but the camera in general just seems to behave better when the room is bright (you would imagine that it prefers a dark room to track the headset lights better).

Also your position in relation to the camera affects the quality of the image you see through the headset. I was suffering from a lot of blur, but moving my position to 1m from the camera and suddenly everything became a lot clearer. Again this makes no sense, but this is what ended up working for me.

The ideal position for the camera is on top of the TV with the camera lens pointing straight out. When you stand in front of the camera it should be roughly just below (or around) your chest level. Imagine you have an Aim Controller. When holding it normally it should be pretty much level with the camera (+/- 10cm)

Personally I couldn't understand the purpose of the camera adjustments with 3 separate positions
    (+/- 10cm)

definitely stuggling to see how that calibrates anything
    Also your position in relation to the camera affects the quality of the image you see through the headset. I was suffering from a lot of blur, but moving my position to 1m from the camera and suddenly everything became a lot clearer. (+/- 10cm)

Thats interesting. I'll try moving around a bit...might be why the graphics on spiderman last night seemed attrocious :)

On the lights one though I would think you'd want to calibrate with the same room brightness as when you are playing....seems better with lights off or am I wrong

On the lights one though I would think you'd want to calibrate with the same room brightness as when you are playing....seems better with lights off or am I wrong

It might depend on where your lights are in the framing of the camera.

My setup performed remarkably well when I played it on a bright sunny afternoon with sunlight streaming into the room... and similarly with bright ceiling lights on (which are out of shot of my camera).

When the lights were off my 2D screen kept wandering to the side.

It really seems there's no hard and fast rule regarding the PSVR setup unfortunately. For example the IPD settings had absolutely no effect for me. I set it to 55mm and 100mm and everything in between. Absolutely no change.

You'd imagine that if IPD had an effect that you notice SOMETHING different at 100mm vs 55mm, like more blur etc.
    I settled on my ACTUAL IPD that was given to me by my optometrist when I had my eyes tested last week, but sure it makes no difference either way.

I then stood 1m from the camera, loaded up Alumette, and suddenly the interior of the boat was crystal clear and I could see the incandescence of the light on the matches.

Also I brought the lenses right up to my eyes by tightening the headset (as in my eyelashes rub on the lenses).

• Advertisement

Also here's a tip... on the screen where you try to get the text clear under Settings -> Devices - Playstation VR, position it so that even the LEFT/RIGHT edges of the box don't have a white "fade" to them, and the text should appear quite "pixelly" (i.e. you should see dots in the individual letters).

Before, I would assume we just had to get the letters clear, but aim to get the actual boundary box fully clear without any trailing white and you should be at the prime spot.

Tightening the back of the headset is the way to achieve this... you might end up with marks around your eyes after a while though ;)

Air Force Special Ops Nightfall tis rather good innit?

Felt goddamn fear of heights kicking in when I was told to jump. Must try real life skydiving now after surviving this

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

PS VR showed up in a show as a prop; Dark Matter.

422487.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

Air Force Special Ops Nightfall tis rather good innit?

Felt goddamn fear of heights kicking in when I was told to jump. Must try real life skydiving now after surviving this

I dont get the sense of freefall or heights at all from it, thought it was pretty tame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I've decided to sell my PSVR. I can't seem to find a set up that doesn't aggravate my migraines and to be honest I can't take many more pain killers to test more. It's a shame as I did enjoy it when I started with it.

It's up on adverts.ie if anyone wants to have a look. I won't post the direct link, just search for fixxxer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

A very humorous but spoilery look at Superhot VR: :pac:

fixxxer wrote: »
    I've decided to sell my PSVR. I can't seem to find a set up that doesn't aggravate my migraines and to be honest I can't take many more pain killers to test more. It's a shame as I did enjoy it when I started with it.

It's up on adverts.ie if anyone wants to have a look. I won't post the direct link, just search for fixxxer there.

Sorry to hear that, was it a particular game or type of visual effect triggering the headaches?

Have u tried an Oculus or Vive to see if same problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

fixxxer wrote: »

I know the fear. I was up till recently taking what can only be described as a heroic amount of tablets to ward off/control migraines. I was recently put on beta blockers and they've helped enormously. Still can't touch driving games. Dirt (which is disappointing) and driveclub (not so) are no go areas.

I know the fear. I was up till recently taking what can only be described as a heroic amount of tablets to ward off/control migraines. I was recently put on beta blockers and they've helped enormously. Still can't touch driving games. Dirt (which is disappointing) and driveclub (not so) are no go areas.

DriveClub gives me headaches due to the blur, but haven't tried Dirt yet.

Do games with cleaner/simpler graphics like Thumper give you headaches too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Sorry to hear that, was it a particular game or type of visual effect triggering the headaches?

Have u tried an Oculus or Vive to see if same problems?

I played Resident Evil 7, PSVR Worlds, The Playroom VR and Mortal Blitz. I wear glasses too so I dunno what the combination that caused it was. I probably wont bother trying any VR options for a good while to be honest. I don't know if you've ever had a full on migraine but I cant function when I get one. The only option is a dark quiet room and with kids in the house that's a rare luxury :)

Advertisement