Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

F1ngers wrote: »
    No issues with a setup/config thread.

The bargain thread covers all playstation platforms, Vita/PS3/PS4/VR - don't see a need for it.
    If you have the PSVR chances are you're also interested in PS4 bargains - a one stop shop.

If/when new forum is created, I'll lock and move the VR threads to the new forum for the mods to decision.

So should we just go ahead and start the config / setup thread then ? It can be moved when the new forum becomes available

I'd start the thread, but my PSVR is still in the box till Christmas, and I'm someone who wants to read the actual thread so I get my setup as correct as possible when it does come to setting it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,624 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    got my psvr today finally, love it

I'm really looking forward to playing resident evil 7 on it, unfortunately, Argos is sold out locally at €25 a go, Amazon doesn't have them in for a week or so at least for £15 sterling

so price in GameStop second hand? €38!

Looks like ill be spending my hard earned cash across the border in Derry instead

The Greedy Greedy B*stards

Do companies like Gamestop not take any notice of rival companies prices? I don't dare even check CEX prices

does anyone know where I can get it cheaper?

I've tried adverts but seems to be vastly overpriced on there too or people not willing to post ( which I always find strange on smaller items for sale on there that could be posted easy enough, after all, it is a nationwide selling site)

anyway no biggie, Until Dawn will do me in the meantime, I'm not tight but I'm not paying near double for something second hand that gets sold elsewhere brand new for nearly half the price

CEX Derry have 4 in stock, at £20.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

deadl0ck wrote: »
    So should we just go ahead and start the config / setup thread then ? It can be moved when the new forum becomes available

I'd start the thread, but my PSVR is still in the box till Christmas, and I'm someone who wants to read the actual thread so I get my setup as correct as possible when it does come to setting it up :)

Ya, go for it, I'll add my bits when I get a chance. :)

Doom VFR has arrived! Rip and tear until it is done!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

mrcheez wrote: »
    Ya, go for it, I'll add my bits when I get a chance. :)

Doom VFR has arrived! Rip and tear until it is done!

Done: Here it is !

Now go forth and populate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Is Doom VR the same as the regular version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

weiland79 wrote: »
    Is Doom VR the same as the regular version?

As far as I'm aware no it's a new story. Looks good imo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Has anyone seen good deals on the Aim controller sold on its own? My wife bought me Farpoint for Xmas, but no controller unfortunately. I'm hesitant to even fire it up without the controller!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Has anyone seen good deals on the Aim controller sold on its own? My wife bought me Farpoint for Xmas, but no controller unfortunately. I'm hesitant to even fire it up without the controller!

got mine on CEX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    got my psvr today finally, love it

I'm really looking forward to playing resident evil 7 on it, unfortunately, Argos is sold out locally at €25 a go, Amazon doesn't have them in for a week or so at least for £15 sterling

so price in GameStop second hand? €38!

Looks like ill be spending my hard earned cash across the border in Derry instead

The Greedy Greedy B*stards

Do companies like Gamestop not take any notice of rival companies prices? I don't dare even check CEX prices

does anyone know where I can get it cheaper?

I've tried adverts but seems to be vastly overpriced on there too or people not willing to post ( which I always find strange on smaller items for sale on there that could be posted easy enough, after all, it is a nationwide selling site)

anyway no biggie, Until Dawn will do me in the meantime, I'm not tight but I'm not paying near double for something second hand that gets sold elsewhere brand new for nearly half the price

I was there a couple weeks ago it was cheaper to buy a New copy with them then the second hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Doom is only 2 hours long though, that's holding me back big time. I'll wait till it's a tenner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Morshlac

Doom is only 2 hours long though, that's holding me back big time. I'll wait till it's a tenner.
    Any of the reviews I've seen say Doom is simply poor on PSVR.

Justice League just came out supposed to be terrible as well, will be avoiding both of those for now.....Skyrim the one to invest in at the moment..

Skyrim is all you need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Morshlac wrote: »
    Any of the reviews I've seen say Doom is simply poor on PSVR.

Justice League just came out supposed to be terrible as well, will be avoiding both of those for now.....Skyrim the one to invest in at the moment..

I'd be very wary of PSVR reviews from mainstream sources.They tend to review VR without really trying and lots seem to have issue with VR.If you want a general consensus on view on PSVR titles,look on places like the PSVR Sub Reddit.

I've played a few sessions of Doom VFR and other than a few bugs,it's a really decent standalone title.I've played with PS Moves and mostly the Aim controller and have had very few issues....Now there will be some bugs still need ironing out and more control system tweaks.The devs will fix and tweak to get the best out of it.

Regarding Justice League VR,this is just a really poor "Cash Grab" experience and shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Doom VFR.

Just played Doom VFR there for an hour. Visually it's great, even on my OG PS4. Coming face to face with a demon in 3D is actually kinda terrifying at first, they're a lot bigger "in real life".

The slow-mo is fantastic for some epic kills. When you go slow mo, you can still shoot and watch as demons literally split in half with guts flying everywhere, whereas that animation isn't noticeable at normal speed.

Gameplay too is decent and frenetic. Havent yet experienced this much carnage happening at once in a VR game.

Controls are the only real let down and will hopefully be fixed in subsequent updates...
    Aim controller - The problem with the Aim controller is that you use 2 hands to hold it but your avatar uses one hand, while holding grenades in the left hand. The grenade and teleport buttons seem to be switched around from what they should be. At least Aim has smooth turning and movement. Gonna try this controller a bit more and see if I can get used to it.

Move controllers - this time the controls feel right as you can move each arm independently and aiming feels better than the Aim (ironically). The main problem is no smooth turning. You can only turn 180 degrees using the Moves, and then you physically twist your body in this range. Felt a little confusing. Id say if they add smooth turning the Move controllers will kick ass.

DS4 - the best way to play the game (right now). Controls just like normal Doom (except no jump, just teleport), but you aim with your head, which kinda works well. Downside is that you have two huge guns sticking out of your face at all times.

Overall it feels like an 85%. Smooth turning on the moves and I reckon this could be spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Gold edition up for pre-order on Amazon for £30 not bad considering it includes all DLC and whihc is also all VR compatible.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Resident-Evil-7-Gold-PS4/dp/B077HPVPXV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512550899&sr=8-1&keywords=resident+evil+gold

Or littlewoods have the standard edition for €25
    https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/playstation-4-resident-evil-vii/1600096898.prd?_requestid=38020&Ntt=reident%20evil

I wish I had seen this I didn't even know the game had DLC,
    Ended up getting it from eBay from the UK for around €28

20 euro for an hour on a Vive?

No thanks

Good way to introduce people to VR to see if they like it.

If it was the full warehouse room scale job, I'd be all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It might make sense to just do a PSVR harware and software thread. Then we could talk about set up in one and the games/bargains/free demos in the other.

Anyway Doom VFR is class. Looks amazing on Pro. Plays a little too fast, i'd like to slow down the walking a little. But otherwise it is great.

Thought about Skyrim but got it on Switch instead. Might pick it up for VR down the line when it drops sub 20.

• Advertisement

Anyone playing much Rec Room?

Curious to try it as I've no PS Plus sub

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

Cex have put the move controller up from 22 to 28. Ho ho ho!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Gamestop have those 2nd hand PS3 move starter packs with one Move controller and a camera for €20, I think. €40 for two and you can probabaly trade the cameras back in.

https://www.gamestop.ie/Playstation%203/Games/6171/playstation-move-starter-pack

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

Bit the bullet and bough two move controllers in Cex for €28 each, annoyed I missed the new ones at €50 for a twin pack but need them for Christmas.

Cex ones come with two year warranty so all is not lost I suppose.

Not going to pay €90 for em anyway as they are that on Amazon and a few other retailers

sweetie wrote: »
    Cex have put the move controller up from 22 to 28. Ho ho ho!

I bought mine when the VR was first announced way back when. Got the set for 8 euro :)

Getting the headset for Christmas.
    Ho Ho Ho:pac:

I bought mine when the VR was first announced way back when. Got the set for 8 euro :)

Getting the headset for Christmas.
    Ho Ho Ho:pac:

Yeah got the PSVR starter with PS worlds, Camera, Headpiece and Skyrim for €299 in Argos so overall got a great deal.

kfrp wrote: »
    Yeah got the PSVR starter with PS worlds, Camera, Headpiece and Skyrim for €299 in Argos so overall got a great deal.

Thats the one i got too. It's sitting in the attic aka Santa's sack atm.

Thats the one i got too. It's sitting in the attic aka Santa's sack atm.

Wife bought it for me so I'm waiting too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

mrcheez wrote: »
    <...>

Move controllers - this time the controls feel right as you can move each arm independently and aiming feels better than the Aim (ironically). The main problem is no smooth turning. You can only turn 180 degrees using the Moves, and then you physically twist your body in this range. Felt a little confusing. Id say if they add smooth turning the Move controllers will kick ass.

<...>
    When you seem to prefer Move controllers vs the new-fangled Aim one in a PSVR FPS like Doom, would you say one of these bad boys is worth the 2nd hand admission price, relative to buying an Aim?

31MdWpstjqL.jpg

I'm in the same boat as many of the latest posts, by the look of things.

got a PS4 last year;
    some PS3 Move 'Gym' kit with a Move and camera, together with a 2nd Move controller, as stocking fillers last Xmas (already had a PS3);
    a G29 setup off another Forum earlier this year;
    and finally a PSVR starter kit last Black Friday, currently residing in Santa's redoubt until Xmas morning :pac:

PSVR Demo Disc 2, SW Battlefront Xwing demo <etc.> all already downloaded, to say I can't hardly wait is very much an understatement: I'm old enough to have been waiting for consumer-grade value-for-money gaming VR since the halcyon days of the Konix Vapourware :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I have one of those Ps Sharpshooters but I don't think they work with Farpoint and such, from what I read online.

Advertisement