Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Was thinking of getting a psvr and mainly just using the cinema mode for Netflix.
    I saw some reviewers complaining the display can be blurry, just wondering if any of you have seen the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Was thinking of getting a psvr and mainly just using the cinema mode for Netflix.
    I saw some reviewers complaining the display can be blurry, just wondering if any of you have seen the same?

why not wait for Oculus go due soon? Standalone so can watch anywhere. Better optics too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Oculus Go will be extremely limited. At least PSVR will you give the option of gaming if you want, it's going to be the same price anyway.

Same price you sure? Thought Go is going to be 199 vs 299 for PSVR?

It'll surely be a little more expensive here.

• Advertisement

It'll surely be a little more expensive here.

nah i'd say 199 - 220 max

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

It's probably highly unlikely with the price drop but is anyone aware of anywhere doing a bundle on the PSVR with either the move controllers or a game thrown in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

It's probably highly unlikely with the price drop but is anyone aware of anywhere doing a bundle on the PSVR with either the move controllers or a game thrown in?

Argos have the starter bundle with two moves an extra €50 (so €349 in total)
    Before the price drop smyths had a really good deal with complete pack and a couple game choices for €450 i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

So finally got to try out the VR yesterday.

Initially I was really disappointed by the video quality. It's very grainy. I was expecting much better.

Played the Drive Club demo first. Really impressive. After a few laps you really get into it.

Then tried flying the X-Wing in Star Wars. Didn't go well. Sick as a dog after 5 minutes of it which I was surprised at as I don't normally suffer with motion sickness, etc.

Tried a bit of Skyrim too and also felt a bit woosey playing that.

Is the sickness/dizziness something that passes?

Still not sure if I'm ready to part with €300 for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭VeryRapidSkoda

Hi,
    I was thinking about getting one of these instead of a second TV to play the PS4. I play FIFA and battlefield a lot. Has anybody played these in cinema mode and is it ok or not?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi,
    I was thinking about getting one of these instead of a second TV to play the PS4. I play FIFA and battlefield a lot. Has anybody played these in cinema mode and is it ok or not?

Thanks.

The picture quality is nowhere near as good as you would get with a HD screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Scotty # wrote: »
    So finally got to try out the VR yesterday.

Initially I was really disappointed by the video quality. It's very grainy. I was expecting much better.

Played the Drive Club demo first. Really impressive. After a few laps you really get into it.

Then tried flying the X-Wing in Star Wars. Didn't go well. Sick as a dog after 5 minutes of it which I was surprised at as I don't normally suffer with motion sickness, etc.

Tried a bit of Skyrim too and also felt a bit woosey playing that.

Is the sickness/dizziness something that passes?

Still not sure if I'm ready to part with €300 for one.

You will get used of it in time. Some call it "Getting your VR Legs"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

@scotty - since you say initially, did you adjust to the graininess of it and then find it acceptable?

Hi,

Thanks.

I wouldn't get one as a second TV. It works but it's not as good for normal games.

The grainy look is called "screendoor" effect as it is like you are looking through a flyscreen. It's unfortunately a limitation of this gen VR and it did bother me at first.

After a few weeks of usage I quickly found the core priorities of gauging VR's merits isn't about how sharp graphics are (as with flat screen gaming) but rather how immersive it is.

I now don't even notice the graphic limitations and instead am drawn into the experiences.

Saying that though, some games have practically no (or hardly noticeable) screen door. Wipeout VR being one.

I dare anyone to play Wipeout VR and not immediately want a PSVR.

Also PS4 Pro has less screen door, so go Pro (heh) if u want the best PSVR can offer.

@scotty - since you say initially, did you adjust to the graininess of it and then find it acceptable?

Yes, I did. I was just surprised at how poor the video quality was when I first put them on but as Mrcheez pointed out, once you get engrossed in the experience (and you will get engrossed!) you don't really notice it. I like my racing games and though not a huge Drive Club fan, I loved it on the VR. It just adds a massive element of realism you can't get looking at a monitor.

Drive Club is probably blurrus-maximus out of all PSVR games.

Try the Bound demo or Polybius/Thumper/Windlands and get blown away by clarity.

Thumper demo is on the demo disc you can get off PS Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,624 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I've had Farpoint VR with the gun lying around the house for a couple of months, and never opened it.

Did yesterday and played it for about an hour. Again VR gives an impressive experience, but I found I got a bit of motion sickness from it, very slight but some all the same (nothing compared to 5mins on Luge though!!).

The game was great in terms of graphics, story etc, but found it a bit samey after a while. Not sure if I'll be going back to it much.

Anyone recommend any games now I have the gun out of its packaging?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

Firewall Zero Hour looks promising and could be the game Bravo Team was meant to be, albeit more tactical:

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    I've had Farpoint VR with the gun lying around the house for a couple of months, and never opened it.

Did yesterday and played it for about an hour. Again VR gives an impressive experience, but I found I got a bit of motion sickness from it, very slight but some all the same (nothing compared to 5mins on Luge though!!).

The game was great in terms of graphics, story etc, but found it a bit samey after a while. Not sure if I'll be going back to it much.

Anyone recommend any games now I have the gun out of its packaging?

Dick Wilde is great, though really REALLY tough. You won't get motion sickness with that one.

I also liked Brookhaven Experiment a lot. People say the graphics are grainy, but I've never noticed it being an issue.

Arizona Sunshine is a full motion experience so you might need to build your VR legs with that one.

And of course Doom VFR is the dog's bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭TacoMan

Downloaded / finished Voltron in one sitting last night (it's on sale for €13 on the store atm).

Harmless enough, more nostalgia than anything else. But you do feel like you're in the cartoon, so it's good from that aspect. It's called Voltron Chronicles so hopefully they'll add more episodes to it, cos it's not a lot of gameplay for the money spent (completed it in around 15-20 minutes).

Tempted to pick up Doom VFR, can you use the DS4/Move controllers with it? I'm guessing the Aim controller is best but not arsed shelling out on an Aim controller for one game. (also need to strike up the courage to start into RE7, still in it's shrink wrapping on the table :o )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Only recently got this and cracked it open last night. Didn’t have long to play with it so spent most of my time in PS World or whatever it’s called.

Tha grainyness can be annoying at first but you quickly get over it with exceptions.

I played The London Heist first and really enjoyed it. A short game, highly immersive with a fun story. The car chase scene is so much fun. (Literally hanging off my chair to look out the window!!)

I can see how racing games would be great particularly after playing the road race skating thing. It’s crap but gives a sense of the possibilities.

I also played the Alien Scavanger game which proceeded to give me bad VR sickness, indigestion and a dose of the craps! Never experienced anythibg like it!

After a break I cracked out Fortnite. Right away you can see the limitations of grainy view. With VR only the objects your head is looking at are crystal clear making cinema view games grainy for views off centre. Momentarily eye glances at the mini map were blurry. I eventually ditched it and returned to the telly.

Eager to try our Wipeout from the feedback here.

Wipeout is savage, but I'd say it could cause motion sickness due to the extreme high speeds you race at. Graphics-wise it's head and shoulders above anything else I've played on PSVR, it is very impressive. Argos still have it for €17.99.

Blood and Truth is the one I'm really looking forward to. It's by the same people who made The London Heist, except it's a full game. Any articles I've read about it have all been positive. Not sure of the actual release date though, but it can't be too far away as some previewers have played it.

faceman wrote: »
    I also played the Alien Scavanger game which proceeded to give me bad VR sickness, indigestion and a dose of the craps! Never experienced anythibg like it!

Haha yeah that Scavenger game gave me some serious wooziness when I first tried it last year, I'd be curious how well I handle it now that I have me VR legs :)

Great to see so many new people joining in, is this because of the price drop last week?

For all of you getting motion sick, a few tips...

- Have a fan blowing on you. Works wonders and keeps you cool (part of the reason you are feeling sick is that you are warming up)

- Don't push through it. Take a break once you start feeling ill. I know it's fun to keep going with your new toy, but you'll find it hard to get over the motion sickness if you keep forcing yourself through it. Baby steps to build up your VR legs.

There are loads of really cool games that have no motion sickness, or grainy visuals that would be good to start out with.

Superhot for one (make sure it's the VR version). You'll need Move controllers for that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

My first taste of VR sickness was that scavengers thing!
    Still haven't gone back to it.

Really depends on the game, with the screen door effect.

Statik is a must buy to add to the list.
    Wipeout is amazing, the visuals are top notch.

Gran Turismo is amazing the first time you try it but its so limited, Driveclub is also great, both of these are poor visually wise.
    These two made me go pick up a cheap wheel, then get a decent stand for it!

Try reducing the screen size to play in cinematic mode makes it easier, no stand in for an actual screen in none VR games.

There's an AMA going on with the developers of Wipeout Omega VR live now on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/89psuw/we_are_xdev_and_epos_developers_of_wipeout_omega/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭smokingman

TacoMan wrote: »
    Wipeout is savage, but I'd say it could cause motion sickness due to the extreme high speeds you race at. Graphics-wise it's head and shoulders above anything else I've played on PSVR, it is very impressive.

Make sure to set "headset mode" to "off" and you'll have no problem. I had my first go of it last night and ended up playing for 2 hours even at a-class

The VR in Wipeout makes it the best racing game I've ever played on any system ever. It's so much better than anything else, another world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Cheapest place to pick up Wipeout??

Advertisement