Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

mrcheez wrote: »
    My Rift

Not to derail things but did you move from the rift to the psvr, thinking of jumping ship, the Sony seems like a neater set up for my space, if it can manage dirt rally and the ps games that would do me. By the sounds of graphics wise it's not going to be much different.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Nah I got a Rift and laptop as I was planning on taking up a job abroad and wanted a portable version of VR.

But I decided to stay put here instead, although no regrets on the purchase as I love my Rift as well as PSVR.

The Rift generally has less tracking issues, but visuals wise its only marginally better, though more SDE and smaller FOV so it balances out I reckon.

Just make sure you have a PS4 Pro to get best visuals.

Cheers have a pro might give it a go, was worried the psvr was a big step back.

Cheers have a pro might give it a go, was worried the psvr was a big step back.

nah you mainly see benefit in games optimized for Pro which are most of em. Forgot to mention there are no God rays on PSVR too, plus you can watch 3D BluRays.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Is it worth upgrading to the Pro just for the PSVR? I don't have a 4k tv, nor any plans to get one soon.

• Advertisement

Is it worth upgrading to the Pro just for the PSVR? I don't have a 4k tv, nor any plans to get one soon.

Yeah, it was one of the main reasons the Pro was created.

Bear in mind you don't NEED a Pro. Its just better for visuals.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Yeah, it was one of the main reasons the Pro was created.

Bear in mind you don't NEED a Pro. Its just better for visuals.

Yeh, I am just trying to gauge if it's really worth it, does it make a lot of difference or just a little? For example, in The London Heist it was hard to see the screen of the phone most of the time. Does having a Pro deal with issues like this?

Yeh, I am just trying to gauge if it's really worth it, does it make a lot of difference or just a little? For example, in The London Heist it was hard to see the screen of the phone most of the time. Does having a Pro deal with issues like this?

It only improves games that are specifically coded to take advantage the Pro hardware, so I reckon the older PSVR Worlds never had a patch and would look more or less identical.

Other games like Skyrim apparently have vast improvements on Pro. Maybe someone who has moved from OG to Pro can verify.

Just had a go of Operation Warcade. It's a really good implementation of the Aim controller.

Graphics are nothing to write home about, but if you have an Aim you owe it to yourself to get this.

PSVR Without Parole put up a much-requested re-review of Polybius.

• Advertisement

I've never really been into these types of games but Rez, Thumper and Polybius seem to be stand out games on the PSVR, does the new dimension add that much to them that they are worth a go even if they aren't your thing?

Yup. If you've ever been curious what it's like to trip on LSD, play Polybius for 30 mins.

Had the best dreams after it.

Also some of the best 3D on PSVR. Thumper would be my 2nd choice. Found Rez OK, but lots of people rave about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

Jeff Minter's Revenge of The Mutant Camels on the Commodore 64 was my first hallucinogenic experience when I was a kid! ;)

Very clever and colourful use of sprites, it was also my first time being introduced and able to understand what the word Random meant due to the Random level mode.

It starts here at 2:35

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Finally tried Skyrim Vr. It was all going well until I changed to direct movement. I didn't realise I felt sick until I stopped and the sweat started pouring down my head. Back to the boring teleportation mode, I guess :pac:

Grayditch wrote: »
    Finally tried Skyrim Vr. It was all going well until I changed to direct movement. I didn't realise I felt sick until I stopped and the sweat started pouring down my head. Back to the boring teleportation mode, I guess :pac:

Buy a fan, best purchase I ever made plus it aids immersion :)

I use it less now than I needed initially, so you'll prob find you'll not need it when you get your VR legs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I kinda wish I had a Pro to smoothen the textures a bit. I know that doesn't add hugely to the nausea, but every little helps.

Playing an hour of Surgeon Simulator before hand probably didn't help either. It's super jerky compared to the likes of I Expect You To Die.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I kinda wish I had a Pro to smoothen the textures a bit. I know that doesn't add hugely to the nausea, but every little helps.

Playing an hour of Surgeon Simulator before hand probably didn't help either. It's super jerky compared to the likes of I Expect You To Die.

Apparently quite a few deals on Pros at the moment on the Playstation Bargains thread

e.g. Trade-in old machine toward the Pro at Gamestop

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭TacoMan

PS+ free games announced yesterday, but no VR game included, which is a pity. It would be nice if they dropped one PS3 or Vita game each month and threw in a VR game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Doge wrote: »
    Jeff Minter's Revenge of The Mutant Camels on the Commodore 64 was my first hallucinogenic experience when I was a kid! ;)

Very clever and colourful use of sprites, it was also my first time being introduced and able to understand what the word Random meant due to the Random level mode.

It starts here at 2:35

He's bringing a series of games to VR that were previously only available on Android/iOS. So expect GoatUp and Gridrunner in the near future, as well as a new Tempest.

Having exhausted all of the free/demo/experience content, of which the Last Guardian demo and the X Wing mission are stand out moments, I decided to go for Until Dawn: Rush of Blood as my first actual game purchase for the PSVR. It's a very enjoyable game and does a good job of heightening your senses throughout the levels. Some properly good jump scares and genuinely fearful atmosphere. I know it's probably old hat for many here who are long in their headsets but as a new comer I'd still recommend it as a good purchase.

• Advertisement

Having exhausted all of the free/demo/experience content, of which the Last Guardian demo and the X Wing mission are stand out moments, I decided to go for Until Dawn: Rush of Blood as my first actual game purchase for the PSVR. It's a very enjoyable game and does a good job of heightening your senses throughout the levels. Some properly good jump scares and genuinely fearful atmosphere. I know it's probably old hat for many here who are long in their headsets but as a new comer I'd still recommend it as a good purchase.

It's still one of the best shooters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It's cool but the arms aren't right with the moves. Can never get them at the right length.

I did spend ages trying to get that set up the first time, it never felt right and I thought I was doing something wrong. However, once I just started playing they felt grand, until I got a jump scare and instinctively put my hands up, they kind of freaked out on screen when doing that. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Jeff Minter is loving Wipeout Omega Collection's VR mode on Twitter right now.
    Multiple posts about how stunning it is.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Jeff Minter is loving Wipeout Omega Collection's VR mode on Twitter right now.
    Multiple posts about how stunning it is.

As soon as I got my PSVR the price went from 18 to 35 on Wipeout Omega :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Keep an eye on Argos, they have it for sale regular enough. It's 37.99 at the moment, but I got it for €17.99 about a month back

Yeah it's mad.

Buying "Last of Us" and "Wipeout" for €30 earlier this year really was the bargain of the year for me. Two fantastic games I never played before.

Wipeout isn't bad on amazon, picked up Rez7, Rush of Blood, Doom and Wipeout the other day, worked out at 13.92 quid each over all for the 4, think one was used as new from amazon warehouse.

I'd watch the PS Store for a sale/deal.
    Also, CEX have it for €22
    link

• Advertisement

I only yesterday found that there is a free demo with a decent selection of games on VR to try out. Some of which I was interested in, so good to get to check them out.

Eve Valkyrie
    The demo only lasted around 4 minutes but visually it was impressive. The amount of ships on screen and the bit I did get to play was enjoyable. Controls seem like they might take a while to get used to though. But it's on the list now if it comes down in price a bit. My only concern is that it's mostly multiplayer right? I wonder about the longevity of people playing it online?

Moss
    Really enjoyable little platform/puzzle game that was on my to buy list anyway. Was good to get a taster of it. I think it's a great use of VR outside the whole FPS perspective of things and it looks like a really polished game. Again hoping it comes down in price slightly before picking it up

Raw Data
    I really don't like the idea of wave shooters and one of the reasons I put off getting into VR was because of the glut of these types of games that appear on it. However, I had read this one was decent. And after giving it a go I am suitably impressed, I really enjoyed the level it gave and had great fun with it. It was my first time dealing with teleportation plus click turning too and while it was slightly annoying, I didn't feel sick or anything. I'm still not sure I'd drop more than a tenner on a wave shooter but if I did it would likely be Raw Data.

Battlezone
    Did not expect much when jumping into this demo. I hadn't actually read much about it or seen any videos. I had always thought that it was just a blocky game to emphasise angular shapes in VR. Needless to say I was blown away when I seen the detail in the cockpit and the opening sequence of launching the tank. The action was great too and while I felt a little whoozy at the end, it wasn't too bad. Will definitely pick this one up in a sale, can't believe I completely disregarded it before

Job Simulator
    Had seen loads of videos of this one and didn't expect to get much out of it. However, playing it is a lot more interesting than watching it. Not much to say about this one really, just that it was more fun than I had expected even though I knew pretty much everything you get to do. Probably won't buy it, but maybe it'll make it's way onto the PS Plus free games at some point.

The Persistence
    Didn't enjoy a single moment of this one. The movement was horrendous. I had been playing VR for a while when I started this. However, I had also had a short break before actually playing the game. Even so, it gave me a headache and a sick stomach. Having to look at something and hold focus on it to pick it up was annoying. The visuals were dull and boring, as were the enemies, I never really felt immersed in the world. You get to a big window and all you can see outside is a blurry cloud, the interior of the ship is all the same, just nothing interesting about it. Since it's a demo I'll have a look at reviews of the actual game, but I don't expect much from it.

Will try out the other games on the demo disc this evening or tomorrow and give my thoughts.

Advertisement