Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with build, any ideas on what next

Options
  • 15-03-2016 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

I've gotten all the parts for the skylake build as covered in http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/98844548. Put them together but not working. Case fan and processor fan both spinning fine. Motherboard lights up. But no video output of any sort and not getting any post response. Left in to local PC store and they reckon motherboard, ram or processor the issue. Any way of determining which is actually the problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Did you test build the machine out of the case using the motherboard as a test bench?

If not breakdown the machine and do that. Let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭antomack

I've 'breadboarded' the build now and still not having any success.

Tested with just RAM and processor and while processor fan spins and the motherboard lights up I'm getting no POST response and no display. Motherboard lights are orange and pulse on for two seconds or so off for one.

Tried without RAM and reboots within 10-15 seconds and then stays on but no further response.

Is there anything else I can do to identify exact issue?

Is the PSU plugged in correctly, there's the 24pin and then usually another 4 pin connector.

Are you getting any codes from the board - have you looked in the manual to see what the flashes mean? Do you have an internal speaker with the motherboard (looks like a little buzzer) can you get POST codes off that?

Have you reseated the CPU?

Both the 24 pin and 4 pin are in correctly, I've even tried both 4 pin options. The PC store I left it in to tried a different PSU with no difference hence why they reckon it's not the PSU.

Nothing in the manual about the lights other than mentioning it's 'gorgeous illuminated audio trace path' so doesn't seem to actually be for diagnosis purposes.

Using a small speaker/buzzer as you describe but no beeps/sound of any sort.

CPU has been reseated a couple of times at this stage to no avail.

All my other PC's use DDR3 so cannot even do a swap to check the RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Motherboard is DDR 3 according tohttps://www.asus.com/ie/Motherboards/H110M-PLUS-D3/

On my phone so can't help much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

There is a DDR4 version too which is what I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I don't know if 2400MHz RAM scales down to 2133MHz...

I actually got the 2133 equivalent after it was pointed out that board only supported that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Try without the ram installed and see if it makes any beeps. If it doesn't it is likely the motherboard. Do double and triple check all the power connectors first though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

So this pc repair shop put in a different psu to test its not the psu. But couldn't check the ram?

They're only a small operation so don't keep much stock. More a case of ordering in for u if u want something. Had DDR3 RAM in stock but no DDR4.

Is the RAM on the qualified vendor list in the manual? Any pins bent on the CPU socket?

Motherboard: Asus H110M-Plus
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX - CMK16GX4M2A2133C13
    Processor: i3 6320

While the RAM above is not directly listed it does list similar Corsair RAM CMK16GX4M4A2133C15.

Didn't notice any bent pins on the CPU socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Spacepirate

Could it be a grounding issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Well start with only motherboard and Processor. If you hear beeps then its not detecting ram which is good. Then if you have 2 chips of ram try with one.

If above fails i would be looking at motherboard as psu was ruled out.

As stated before check motherboard for bent pins you may need to look at cpu chip as well. I know someone in Intel who tells me the chips now are very problematic as in they need to be installed exact an can give lots of issues if installed and uninstalled a lot.

So brought it to another PC repair store and they took a thorough look at it. They are confident that the issue is with the motherboard and that it has a number of issues, 1 that only one of the DIMM slots is actually working and 2 it's giving some phantom POST errors that do not bear out.

As such I've arranged for a return/refund to Amazon but the same board will not be in stock for another week. As such can someone recommend an alternate board for around stg£55-70 that is in stock, preferably from Amazon unless significant savings to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

antomack wrote: »
    So brought it to another PC repair store and they took a thorough look at it. They are confident that the issue is with the motherboard and that it has a number of issues, 1 that only one of the DIMM slots is actually working and 2 it's giving some phantom POST errors that do not bear out.

As such I've arranged for a return/refund to Amazon but the same board will not be in stock for another week. As such can someone recommend an alternate board for around stg£55-70 that is in stock, preferably from Amazon unless significant savings to be made.

Should defo be the mobo alright. Had the exact same symptoms on an older PC (fans turn on, lights on mobo turn on but could not get any video whatsoever). Replaced the mobo and everything's working fine now.

I have the MSI H110M PRO-VD on my Skylake PC and it's been running grand for more than 2 months now. Unfortunately that one's out of stock too on Amazon.

The PRO-D is in stock though which is pretty much the same mobo, but just slightly more expensive http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018XP3AI2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE#

Advertisement