Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on catching Salmon

• 15-03-2016 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi all , I'm a frequent fisherman in my local river for the past 11 years I'm 20 now ! I mainly flyfish , I love it! I find it much for humane than spinner fishing and worm fishing . My river holds a nice size of brown and rainbow trout, although I've been fly fishing for the past few years Ive only caught trout . This season I really want to catch a salmon , but I no very little knowledge on the techniques and skills needed to catch one , I've bought salmon flys before and tried them out , but no luck . Any tips for a newbie trying to catch a salmon ?

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Backpack20 wrote: »
    Hi all , I'm a frequent fisherman in my local river for the past 11 years I'm 20 now ! I mainly flyfish , I love it! I find it much for humane than spinner fishing and worm fishing . My river holds a nice size of brown and rainbow trout, although I've been fly fishing for the past few years Ive only caught trout . This season I really want to catch a salmon , but I no very little knowledge on the techniques and skills needed to catch one , I've bought salmon flys before and tried them out , but no luck . Any tips for a newbie trying to catch a salmon ?

Thanks !

I Presume you have a state salmon licence? Just one questions, A river with rainbow trout In ireland that's nearly un herd of other than a handful of rivers, There's no tips if you could say, Just Keep an eye on waterlevels( https://waterlevel.ie/) Select the river your fishing, Fish after a flood, The higher the water the bigger the fly, It took me awhile to catch my first salmon, If you know the river it will be easier, It'll be hard to catch anything now only if the river you fish gets a good run of springers, but mainly June, july are peak months in most rivers, What flies did you get? Also What rod are you fishing with? Have about 13lb plus mono for spring and go lower in summer, I've caught a few salmon on single handers and really Its not great, I'd try and get a good 10ft 7-8wt rod so you have little power to keep the fish away from snags.

Tight lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Backpack20 wrote: »

Thanks !

I caught my first salmon fishing for rainbows on my local river. they are all fish farm escapees. It was my first and last salmon 6lb caught on a small gold head fly.

Advertisement