Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a part finished house that the planning permission has just run out Advice

Options
  • 15-03-2016 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    Myself and my partner are on the market to buy a house we've been eyeing up a house that's a complete shell (roof windows doors etc.) The problem was the house was going to be outside of our budget or very close once complete.

Today I bit the bullet and asked to go see the house as we are viewing one nearby on Friday but the estate agent informed me that the house has been removed from market because the planning permission has run out (I think he said something about "local needs" but no clue what that is)

Am I crazy to consider buying the house?
    Is this a done thing? how risky is it? Can I make an offer based on getting the permission approved again?

Any feedback or approach would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

mooneyd wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Myself and my partner are on the market to buy a house we've been eyeing up a house that's a complete shell (roof windows doors etc.) The problem was the house was going to be outside of our budget or very close once complete.

Today I bit the bullet and asked to go see the house as we are viewing one nearby on Friday but the estate agent informed me that the house has been removed from market because the planning permission has run out (I think he said something about "local needs" but no clue what that is)

Am I crazy to consider buying the house?
    Is this a done thing? how risky is it? Can I make an offer based on getting the permission approved again?

Any feedback or approach would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dan

Local needs means you must have some connection to the area basically and a genuine reason for wanting to live in that particular area.
    I'm not sure about planning permission but your best bet would be to get in touch the appropriate county council or an architect.
    I also think it is unlikely that a bank will give you a mortgage for such a property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Op, if the house is sealed (roof windows doors), it may have complied with/satisfied planning permission conditions so the first thing to do is to request a meeting with the planning officer for the area and ask him/her where things stand. Before buying, you will need to get it surveyed by a tasty engineer/architect to see exactly what has been done and what needs to be done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Usually the LA will deem the permission as used once the structure is completed to a substantial nature. Wall plate on, roof on and windows in would be classified as complete.

For example the CSO would class the structure as a dwelling for the national census survey and it would be marked down as a dwelling that's empty.

The local needs condition of the planning may prohibit its sale. You will need to see a copy of the grant of permission.

Advertisement