Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two weeks in California, no car.

Options
  • 16-03-2016 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭

Heading to California for a few weeks, mid-April to mid-May - the first two will be based in Berkeley for work, so I reckon I'll see San Fran on those weekends, but then I have two weeks to do as I please.
    Nothing booked yet bar flights in and out of SF. Can't drive, unfortunately.
    I'd like to see Yosemite and other parks if possible, Death Valley if possible, and some beaches. Not pushed about cities in general.

Advice and/or suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

There is public transport within Yosemite and buses to the park, they even encourage it to reduce traffic congestion.

The train https://www.amtrak.com/pacific-surfliner-train
    goes along the coast in many cases and can be used to reach some beaches, for instance north of San Diego and some buses connect with these stations.

It is also worth noting that accommodation actually in Yosemite gets booked far in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'm a huge fan of Amtrak.

Having a private cabin and spending a few nights on a train is a great experience and the trains are really well run. Clean and efficient. A cabin costs quite a bit more but think of it as saving on hotels.

From SF you could do some kind of circuit, SF to new Orleans, then up to chicago, then back to Seattle and down to SF again. It would take...eight or nine days maybe. And you'd see an incredible amount of the country. We've done chicago/Seattle three times (GF is a nervous flyer) and you see parts of the country you'd never drive through.

Just a thought...it might seem a bit ambitious, or maybe too long on a train. You could always fly out and then train back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The sleeper train sounds amazing, but it looks fierce pricey. The accommodation in general is more costly than I expected too - this trip may break the bank :pac:
    I will probably Amtrak to a beach or two though.
    And aye, Yosemite accommodation does seem pretty sparse, but fingers crossed...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Ficheall wrote: »
    The sleeper train sounds amazing, but it looks fierce pricey. The accommodation in general is more costly than I expected too - this trip may break the bank :pac:
    I will probably Amtrak to a beach or two though.
    And aye, Yosemite accommodation does seem pretty sparse, but fingers crossed...

Well if you want a place with beaches close to SF then there always Santa Cruz.

Its about 90mins south of SF. beaches, bars and accommodation at most budgets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Cruz,_California

www.santacruz.org

Advertisement