Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenager with greasy hair

Options
  • 16-03-2016 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for shampoo or techniques she can use to get more than one day without washing it. She has waist length hair which doesn't help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

She needs to stop washing it daily first of all, that just makes your hair produce more oil. When I can i'll go a few days with no hair washing and it'll make a difference to how often I have to wash it for the next few weeks.

Secondly dry shampoo is a godsend, it can be tricky to use the first few times but once you get used to it is very easy.

I've heard reverse washing is good for hair aswell as it doesn't dry out the scalp, the theory is I think to apply conditioner everywhere, scalp and all, and then use shampoo to remove the conditioner, it's meant to not overly strip your hair which should help keep the scalps oil production at bay. I haven't tried this as I've very dry hair so I need a lot of conditioner and I use a moisturising shampoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭fits

She needs to stop washing it daily first of all, that just makes your hair produce more oil.

I really dont believe this is a solution for everyone. I have had to wash my hair daily since I was 14 or so. And Ive tried the no washing thing. Its just the way my body works.

I find la roche posay kerium shampoo works well but its expensive. I try other brands but keep going back to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭Milly33

I have this problem too (expect the teenager part) and I think there is no cure but to wash it... There are means of getting away with not washing it but that's it...

Not using conditioner unless you need it is one, the dry shampoo isn't too bad but like if you flick your hair of scratch you head your back to square one.

I recently tried the coconut water shampoo and that is quite good (OGX you can get it in boots)

A good brush too is key and wash the brush nearly every second day.. They have brushes in TK macs darn I cant think of the name now but it is very good, I can get it at home if you like..

fits wrote: »
    I really dont believe this is a solution for everyone. I have had to wash my hair daily since I was 14 or so. And Ive tried the no washing thing. Its just the way my body works.

I find la roche posay kerium shampoo works well but its expensive. I try other brands but keep going back to that.

Your right it isn't for everyone, but it does work for a lot of people and should be the first thing you try IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Does she use a lot of conditioner?

There was a thread I spotted here awhile ago where people were using conditioner first, then shampoo.

Maybe she could try something like that?

• Advertisement

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Does she use a lot of conditioner?

There was a thread I spotted here awhile ago where people were using conditioner first, then shampoo.

Maybe she could try something like that?

Yes reverse washing, I mentioned it in my post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Mine can get greasy near the roots but if I wash it every day I just have awful damaged hair plus I use semi permanent dyes so I need to avoid washing too much to hold the colour.

Now I wash it 3 times a week. I wouldnt put a hairbrush near my hair when its dry, I only comb it through when there is conditioner in it.

I wear my hair tied back though, if I wore it down I dont think Id be able to wash it as infrequently.

You can generally guess my hair wash status by my hair style. Full long pony tail immediately after washing, stringier pony tail on day 2 and if its a situation where I get to day 3 its a bun.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

Lorraine Elvive has launched a new range for greasy roots and dry ends. Worth a try as it's not too expensive. There's a pre wash treatment, shampoo and conditioner. Make sure she is only conditioning the ends as well

I've very fine hair so the grease shows quickly. I can usually get a 2nd day which might require dry shampoo depending.

For me hormones also play a large part and when I'm on the pill it's less greasy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,672 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

At her age it could be just hormonal but there are a few things she can try.

1. Wash less often, as others have said.

2. Use a transparent shampoo. Doesn't have to be "clarifying" or even colourless, but it should be clear. Opaque shampoos nearly always leave a build-up on my hair after a few washes.

3. Condition only the length of her hair, never the scalp.

4. Make sure the water she's washing with isn't too hot. Washing with very hot water can make your scalp sweat and you're back to square one before you're even finished washing.

5. Tell her to be hyper-aware of how much she touches her hair. If she's constantly brushing it out of her eyes/fiddling with it, she's transferring oil to her hair from her skin every time. If she has a fringe that has to be flicked out her face often, for example, try to get her in the habit of using a pen to do it.

6. A spritz of dry shampoo before bed every night can work wonders to absorb excess grease during the night. If she has very oily facial skin she should also make sure her hair is back off her face going to bed.

To add to Dial Hards good advice, anyone with greasy hair should make a point of changing their pillowcases very often, so that they minimize the greasy hair-pillowcase-face transfer.

• Advertisement

Another one if she is blonde or light coloured talc works just the same as those dry shampoos and less expensive..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

If she has fine hair just tell her to wash it daily. Fine hair that gets greasy quickly never looks right the second day. Even the no shampoo proponents recognise that fine hair needs more washing. I know a few people who think they get away with it but it actually just looks like they're dirty.

Cutting it a bit shorter would also help because it wouldn't be weighed down against her scalp.

She really just has to face the reality that she has greasy hair that needs regular washing. If the length makes that a pain, she needs to decide whether that's the price she's willing to pay for really long hair.

Yep there are things you can do to try and avoid but really tis just life.... Plaiting/braiding it on the lets say the night of the second day also tends to keep it a little better

Advertisement