Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clematis - fungus - prevention

Options
  • 16-03-2016 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭

I planted a Clematis (President) last winter/spring. It came up lovely but then fell foul of a fungus (or at least that was my amateur diagnosis, via Google - black spots on the leaves, and just didn't thrive). There were still a few flowers blooming on one bit of it so I left it, and cut it right back in December.

It's now starting to shoot up again, and for the moment is looking healthy.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent the fungus reoccurring? Or is it just pot luck?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I planted a Clematis (President) last winter/spring. It came up lovely but then fell foul of a fungus (or at least that was my amateur diagnosis, via Google - black spots on the leaves, and just didn't thrive). There were still a few flowers blooming on one bit of it so I left it, and cut it right back in December.

It's now starting to shoot up again, and for the moment is looking healthy.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent the fungus reoccurring? Or is it just pot luck?

Make sure you have got rid of all the material from the old diseased growth. Keep the area well ventilated if possible as higher humidity levels make spores more likely to succeed.

I have read it is possible to make a compost tea that is filled with microbes that can be sprayed on plants to help prevent some fungal diseases but haven't tried that myself.

Advertisement