Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Zoo ticket €17

Options
  • 16-03-2016 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Was thinking about bringing toddler daughter on her first trip to the Zoo this weekend.

Well.....

To my astonishment I see and adult ticket is now €17 :eek: and child is €12.20.

My question is, are you provided with your own monkey butler to bring home with you at this price?

Never mind the water charges, surely this blatant act of extortion should have been a key campaign issue.

Crazy stuff.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

That's just how much Zoos are these days. I remember the one in Regent's park in London was some outrageous price, €17 probably isn't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Its alot of animals to feed. The African plains area is the best zoo attraction around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ticket prices at the Zoo should have been an election issue?

Are you taking the piss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

€17 for a day's entertainment ain't bad imho

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Adoolan85

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Ticket prices at the Zoo should have been an election issue?

Are you taking the piss?

Yeah I'm deadly serious.

I'd have it up there with the bald patch of grass in my back garden and the sun glaring in my eyes when I drive home from work in the evenings.

All pressing matters for my local TD I would imagine.

Cop on would ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Adoolan85 wrote: »
    Add your reply here.
    Yeah I'm deadly serious.

I'd have it up there with the bald patch of grass in my back garden and the sun glaring in my eyes when I drive home from work in the evenings.

All pressing matters for my local TD I would imagine.

Cop on would ya.

what would you expect to pay for such an amenity? i think Dublin Zoo provides great value for money.

what would you expect to pay for such an amenity? i think Dublin Zoo provides great value for money.[/quote]

Fair enough, that seems to be the consensus so far.

€50 for 2 adults and a child to go the zoo seems over the top to me.

But maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Seems reasonable to me. I'd imagine there are serious running costs there, and as others said, it'd not dear for a full days entertainment.

You'd easily spend that going to the cinema or a soccer match. And I don't think €17 would last long in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Edinburgh is £17 for adults and £12.50 for kids but given its $1m a year for the pandas it's not surprising I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,276 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There used to be 10% off for pre-booking tickets online but that seems to be gone.

The annual family pass for €175 is good value if you think you'll be visiting the Zoo a few times during the year... but yeah, once off visit prices are a bit steep. If the price is deterring visitors from coming, then it is self-defeating. The Zoo has pretty much the same outlays whether it has 1000 or 2000 visitors.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

€170 a year for a family ticket - 4 adults or substitute 2 kids per adult place - is worth it if you're near Dublin. Allows you drift in any weekend or day off, straight past queues and not really care if you're leaving again after 2 or 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

all kids under 3 are free

As others have said the Zoo is a fantastic amenity and is well worth the admission price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    You'd easily spend that going to the cinema or a soccer match. And I don't think €17 would last long in the pub.

No you wouldn't. Go to an Odeon on a Wednesday €5 a head.

Soccer match, most grounds about €15 with cheaper for students and generally €5 for under 12's.

That's a reduced rate price for the cinema the usual adult ticket is €12-15

There you go under 3's are free!

mansize wrote: »
    That's a reduced rate price for the cinema the usual adult ticket is €12-15

Lighthouse cinema €9

mansize wrote: »
    There you go under 3's are free!

Have a 6 year old as well, so that's were the 2 adults and 1 child comes from.

In fairness the family pass for the year does sound like good value.

Not sure we would use it enough though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

AGC wrote: »

Soccer match, most grounds about €15 with cheaper for students and generally €5 for under 12's.

Yes but all those things are time limited, usually under 2hrs for both. For your admission to the zoo you can stay all day, bring a picnic, there are playgrounds for the kids, the information centre, African plains is amazing. You could easily spend a day exploring all the animals and learning about them. My kids love it, and I've 3 to pay for now but we still do it because it's worth it.

January wrote: »
    Yes but all those things are time limited, usually under 2hrs for both. For your admission to the zoo you can stay all day, bring a picnic, there are playgrounds for the kids, the information centre, African plains is amazing. You could easily spend a day exploring all the animals and learning about them. My kids love it, and I've 3 to pay for now but we still do it because it's worth it.

I agree, I would be a regular with family and have the family pass for the Zoo and get great value out of it.

I was disagreeing with the poster saying you would easily spend it at the cinema or a match, which you wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

To be fair the Adult price has only gone up €2 in the last 10 - 12 years too, so they're not hiking it regularly

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

AGC wrote: »
    I agree, I would be a regular with family and have the family pass for the Zoo and get great value out of it.

I was disagreeing with the poster saying you would easily spend it at the cinema or a match, which you wouldn't.

Does the family pass run for the calendar year of 2016, or does it run for 12 months after you buy it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Does the family pass run for the calendar year of 2016, or does it run for 12 months after you buy it?

12 months after you buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,533 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Adoolan85 wrote: »
    Was thinking about bringing toddler daughter on her first trip to the Zoo this weekend.

Well.....

To my astonishment I see and adult ticket is now €17 :eek: and child is €12.20.

My question is, are you provided with your own monkey butler to bring home with you at this price?

Never mind the water charges, surely this blatant act of extortion should have been a key campaign issue.

Crazy stuff.
    Is this a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

You get a quarterly Zoo magazine with a poster mailed to you with annual pass too, goes down great if you put your kid's name on it and she gets post from the animals in the zoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

It is expensive but you get a full day out from it and the place can not be cheap to run. I personally think it is one of the best value attractions in Dublin. If you want something cheaper go to the botanic gardens which are free and also pretty good for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

AGC wrote:

AGC wrote:

Well maybe the zoo will open on a Wednesday night and offer it for a fiver a head.

It's not that expensive in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

€17 is quite reasonable, I clicked on this thread thinking it was a bargain alert in all honestly. I would have expected to pay €25 or so for an adult ticket.

BTW, extortion is the criminal appropriation of monies through coercion. The Dublin Zoo is hardly engaging in extortion no matter how much they charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

52 euro for for my family to get in to Dublin Zoo. When I'm over in the UK, a zoo, even a small local zoo would cost at least 60 sterling, medium size zoo about 80 pounds and a well known zoo over a hundred pounds.

Very surprised how cheap Dublin Zoo is actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

I reckon we throw the OP into the lions den (we can chip together and pay his entrance fee)

• Advertisement

I reckon we throw the OP into the lions den (we can chip together and pay his entrance fee)

Lions are unbelievably lazy, especially if they're well fed - the Amur tigers would be a better bet.

Advertisement