Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Zoo ticket €17

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I'm always amazed how people wouldn't blink twice at spending the same amount in a pub!
    O.P: if you live in Dublin would you not consider getting the zoo pass?
    We have had it for the last 4 years...best money ever spent. 5/6 visits recoup the fee, your money is going to the upkeep of the zoo ( they have made some splendid improvements over the last few years!) and you can pop in when ever you feel like it. You also get the free mags for the kids! We regularly just pop in for an hour and you are not tied to staying there just to get your " value" for money. It's great not having to queue on busy days! We often go in for the last hour if in the Phoenix Park or for feeding time. Think we know all zookeepers by name now :-) I would say we visited about 20 times last year! We certainly get our value for money.

If you have only one child under 3 you could buy the individual pass. You get two passes for named adults . If only one of you go , you can bring a guest for free!

Op just editing this as I just saw your previous reply after writing this! As I said 5/6 visits will recoup your money. You really should consider it for one year and see how you get on. If you don't use all the visits at the very least your money is going to a good cause. It's one of the best amenities in Dublin for kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Sundew wrote: »
    I'm always amazed how people wouldn't blink twice at spending the same amount in a pub!
    O.P: if you live in Dublin would you not consider getting the zoo pass?
    We have had it for the last 4 years...best money ever spent. 5/6 visits recoup the fee, your money is going to the upkeep of the zoo ( they have made some splendid improvements over the last few years!) and you can pop in when ever you feel like it. You also get the free mags for the kids! We regularly just pop in for an hour and you are not tied to staying there just to get your " value" for money. It's great not having to queue on busy days! We often go in for the last hour if in the Phoenix Park or for feeding time. Think we know all zookeepers by name now :-) I would say we visited about 20 times last year! We certainly get our value for money.

If you have only one child under 3 you could buy the individual pass. You get two passes for named adults . If only one of you go , you can bring a guest for free!

Agree with this, I have the pass and it's excellent value for money. Even if you don't the daily rate is still good value. You would easily spend the entire day there.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Agree with this, I have the pass and it's excellent value for money. Even if you don't the daily rate is still good value. You would easily spend the entire day there.

Ha! Ha! My husband and little one usually end up dragging me out!

O.P: if you get the pass you also get free entry to Fota Island Wildlife Zoo & Chester Zoo ( not that we have availed of that!)
    As I said sometimes paying the cash at the turnstile puts you under pressure to spend the whole day there, but with the pass you can nip in and out whenever you want. As you can see like some of the previous posters I am a huge fan of the pass. My little one just thinks it's her local park at this stage...little does she know! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Sundew wrote: »
    Ha! Ha! My husband and little one usually end up dragging me out!

O.P: if you get the pass you also get free entry to Fota Island Wildlife Zoo & Chester Zoo ( not that we have availed of that!)
    As I said sometimes paying the cash at the turnstile puts you under pressure to spend the whole day there, but with the pass you can nip in and out whenever you want. As you can see like some of the previous posters I am a huge fan of the pass. My little one just thinks it's her local park at this stage...little does she know! ;-)

Chester isn't included anymore, you do get access for once off visit to Paignton Zoo, Edinburgh Zoo, Twycross Zoo & Colchester Zoo. (Source: email from Dublin Zoo) Its great for me because Twycross isn't far from where I visit in UK and often visit Essex, so Colchester is good for me too. A visit to Dublin and one to Twycross takes a big chunk out of the cost of the yearly pass straight away.

Fota is as many times as you like.

So I think I'm definitely going to invest once payday comes around again.

Chester isn't included anymore, you do get access for once off visit to Paignton Zoo, Edinburgh Zoo, Twycross Zoo & Colchester Zoo. (Source: email from Dublin Zoo) Its great for me because Twycross isn't far from where I visit in UK and often visit Essex, so Colchester is good for me too. A visit to Dublin and one to Twycross takes a big chunk out of the cost of the yearly pass straight away.

So I think I'm definitely going to invest once payday comes around again.

Hadn't realized that. I'm crap for reading paperwork and emails. Don't have to renew until June so happy out at the mo! Might nip over tomorrow as I need my squirrel monkey fix :-)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

€14 for the wax museum and you'd last longer inside Kim Kardasian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

London Zoo Adult regular entry is €31..... so €17 ain't bad

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Cycling in the park earlier and the queue to get in to the zoo was out onto the main road. A lot of people do not seem to have the same issue with price as the op...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if you have any Tesco clubcard points you can use them towards the zoo:
    http://www.tesco.ie/clubcard/deals/DublinZoo.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The zoo are now doing family tickets and reduced prices for the unemployed and their families (with proof).

I have the annual pass for 175 which is great value for my family. Means we can go up for a few hours and not feel we have to be there for the day to get "value"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

2 families can buy 1 family pass so that's €85-90 a year. If you visit a minimum of twice in 12 months then you've gotten value from it. You can bring 3 adults and 3-4 children on that and the 2 families can use it at the same time.

We gotten it with a friend for the last 3 years and it's great value. We'd often go for a couple of hours on a Saturday or Sunday.

However, if you're paying €55 for a family day out then it's actually very good value as you could go in at 11 and be busy right up to 5pm. Bring a picnic and happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

The zoo is great value - I must go back again soon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

It's a brilliant Zoo as well, they've done a lot of work on it to bring up the standard of the enclosures and general layout of the place- and there's more work ongoing. There's even a half-decent Costa Coffee in there now. It's really great way to spend a day.

The annual pass is great value- you can justify dropping in for an hour or two without feeling like you have to get your money's worth in every single trip. You can have up to 4 adults in if your child is under 3, so that's great for grandparents or another couple with small kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭screamer

I agree OP it's expensive and it's overcrowded and overrated. Hence I don't bother with it but for anyone who thinks it's great value that's their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

screamer wrote: »
    I agree OP it's expensive and it's overcrowded and overrated. Hence I don't bother with it but for anyone who thinks it's great value that's their opinion.

If you don't bother with it how do you know it's overcrowded and overrated?
    ;)

Was there last week with our little one (on a Sunday). No real crowds at all. Loads of room, loads to see and do. I'd bet you won't get a better family day out for under €50 anywhere else.

We've been before (maybe once a year) but the sea lion show was new and great entertainment for 15 minutes or so. Added bonus of knackering our daughter out with 4 hours of walking too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

When was the last time you bothered with it, out of interest? I've never found it to be overrated, quite the opposite really.

As to crowded- at peak time, yes. Same as anywhere. Pick a better time, or else expect crowds.

Have you ever been there on a nice sunny Tuesday morning( just after opening, or on a "soft" drizzly day ( kids still in school) or a crisp Winters morning?
    You normally have the place all to yourself!
    Even though I have the pass, I usually avoid the place on bank holidays. If I do decide to go in on a nice day over a Summer weekend I am there for when the gates open and I leave before the mobs arrive around 12. Also going in around 4 is excellent as everybody is leaving! Normally I do avoid popular times/ days.
    If people pay to go in on a day that everybody else has decided to go in as well, then yes it is terribly uncomfortable, you can't see the animals and you end up being muscled out of your spot whilst observing an animal. I don't go in on days like that.
    For all the days that the zoo is overcrowded...there are many days and times when there is hardly anybody in there....just the keepers and a handful of visitors! You have to do your homework and regular visitors
    would know the days/ times to avoid.
    My only one gripe with the zoo and I have communicated this to them is the food in the restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

To be fair, the "peak sunny bank holiday" crowd isn't restricted to the zoo. Pretty much every family spot/event has a bigger crowd. No real science there

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Just got my FOTA individual pass as toddler under three. It has no ID photo on it so For all the regulars does anyone know if I need to bring photo ID with me too or just the pass when we go to Dublin zoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Just got my FOTA individual pass as toddler under three. It has no ID photo on it so For all the regulars does anyone know if I need to bring photo ID with me too or just the pass when we go to Dublin zoo.

• Advertisement

polydactyl wrote: »
    Might be no harm giving them a call. My Dublin pass has a photo so I'm thinking bring along photo ID just in case. My OH on the other hand says your pass should be accepted as it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

AGC wrote: »
    I was disagreeing with the poster saying you would easily spend it at the cinema or a match, which you wouldn't.
    I took "spend it at the cinema" to mean entry and ridiculously priced snacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

I love Dublin zoo and try to go once a year although I didn't go last year. The price isn't bad at all. I think it's well worth it. Must plan a visit this summer.

Advertisement