Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

used fire extinguisher

Options
  • 16-03-2016 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

Kind of an odd request here but anyone know where I could get my hands on a used 1kg fire extinguisher? It's for a diy project I'm hoping to try out. I've tried Adverts /DoneDeal but can't locate anything handy. Postage would make it too expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Have you tried calling Atex Fire or one of them maybe see if they would give you one..

Are you building a rocket?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Milly33 wrote: »
    Have you tried calling Atex Fire or one of them maybe see if they would give you one..

Are you building a rocket?

Good idea. I'll chance them. A rocket, no . . . but I am trying to build a small crucible (for melting tin cans). YouTube instructables are a dangerous thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

mordeith wrote: »
    Good idea. I'll chance them. A rocket, no . . . but I am trying to build a small crucible (for melting tin cans). YouTube instructables are a dangerous thing!

Try a plumber, they sometimes use disposable propane gas cylinders which would be as about the same size as a 1kg fire extinguisher. The disposable propane cylinders are very well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

uhh sounds like fun!! best of luck with it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Atex or anyone like them will not give a random punter a spent extinguisher.

It is a pressure vessel.

If you blow youself up with it, questions will be asked as to who gave it to you and why did they give you something which they knew to be dangerous under certain circumstances.

• Advertisement

Atex or anyone like them will not give a random punter a spent extinguisher.

It is a pressure vessel.

If you blow youself up with it, questions will be asked as to who gave it to you and why did they give you something which they knew to be dangerous under certain circumstances.

Surely if the extinguisher is spent the pressure aspect is negated? I wouldn't need the dispenser section, just the vessel itself.

Yeah I get that but it is still capable of holding pressure and they have no idea what you might decide to do with it down the line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 diy.i.do

If you do get a vessel...discharge it completely and fill it with water before you cut it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

These are they MAP gas cylinders I was refering to used often used for plumbing but there are several others by colman and camping gaz that might also be suitable. Propane cylinders are normally much stronger than butane ones as the pressure is greater so should be good quality steel Check the local recycling depot they aren't supposed to give stuff away but the local travelers are all over ours like a rash and take what they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

mordeith wrote: »
    Kind of an odd request here but anyone know where I could get my hands on a used 1kg fire extinguisher? It's for a diy project I'm hoping to try out. I've tried Adverts /DoneDeal but can't locate anything handy. Postage would make it too expensive.

Where in the country are you? I've a couple in Galway - yours if you collect

• Advertisement

I have one in at home in tipperary. If you want it you can have it. I can bring it to cork too.

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    Where in the country are you? I've a couple in Galway - yours if you collect

Thanks for the offer but in Cork city.

I have one in at home in tipperary. If you want it you can have it. I can bring it to cork too.

That's decent of ya. Do you come to Cork much? I don't want to put you out.

I'll be at home in Tipperary at the weekend and be back in Cork on Monday so I could give it to you any evening next week. Whereabouts are you based?

It's empty but might be a pit rusty.

I'll be at home in Tipperary at the weekend and be back in Cork on Monday so I could give it to you any evening next week. Whereabouts are you based?

It's empty but might be a pit rusty.

I work in the city centre but I can use an aul Coke bike to go a bit outside if needed. Is yours a 1kg?

I don't know really what size it is. To hazard a guess I'd say if you filled it with water it would hold 3 or 4 litres. It's one with a lever valve, a gauge and a rubber hose attached.

I'm based in Douglas.

I reckon that'd be too big for my needs. I'll be cutting the top off and inserting into a concrete filled galvanise bucket. It would have to be lower less than the height of the bucket. Twould be one of these lads I'd be looking for.
    I'll see about those propane tanks mentioned above as well.

60007.jpg

Yeah like that one.

I tell ya, when I get home saturday I'll root it out and check what size it is.

I checked it when I was at home over the weekend and it's bigger than I thought. It's probably like 5 litres full capacity.
    Do you still want it?

I checked it when I was at home over the weekend and it's bigger than I thought. It's probably like 5 litres full capacity.
    Do you still want it?

Ah that's probably too big. Thanks anyway man.

• Advertisement

Right so. No bother.

Advertisement