Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epicurean food Hall closed

Options
  • 16-03-2016 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Happened already some weeks ago, but might be worth to be mentioned here. Quite sad to see this place gone, as it was a good place to grab some reasonably priced food and have a break while shopping in city center. Does anyone knows why they had to close?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

marvin42 wrote: »
    Happened already some weeks ago, but might be worth to be mentioned here. Quite sad to see this place gone, as it was a good place to grab some reasonably priced food and have a break while shopping in city center. Does anyone knows why they had to close?

Really?? That's such a shame! I'm really surprised to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

I was told by another business owner in the area it's being turned into retail space

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

**** , that place had some of the best tapas in Dublin :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

It will always be the Abbey Mall to me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

So where can I get some nice fresh Hot Cross Buns now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

**** , that place had some of the best tapas in Dublin :(
    Fusion Brazilian Grill and Mama Mia are still open FYI. I am not sure if they will close eventually, but I was on North Lotts earlier and they were open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Ah for God's sake. Epicurean was a great place. Why do we need more retail space? Cheap healthy varied food is needed not more retail space with clery's sitting there empty. The number of decent food places that survived the worst of the last few years that are now closing is depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Made my way to the Epicurean Food Hall with my 2 kids last Sunday, I've been banging on about the place to them for ages...

What an absolute disappointment when we arrived to find the place closed.

I'm going to miss the melting pot of global cuisine that was & the social aspect of the communal dining area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

marvin42 wrote: »
    Epicuren foot Hall closed

You'll just have to buy your feet elsewhere ........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

It's been a long time since any quality food was served in there. In recent years it turned into a filthy horrible place full of food of questionable quality

• Advertisement

It's been a long time since any quality food was served in there. In recent years it turned into a filthy horrible place full of food of questionable quality

Think you're a bit off the mark there, ugly duckling, the burrito place (which I prefered when it was in its older incarnation) and the Spanish place were still very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Not too far off there. Healthy is the last thing the food coming out of there is.

As an aside... Don't get me wrong, I am impressed by the turnaround in the site, I remember when the 66 used to run from the front of the mall and there was a pokey little Newsagent in the front and a tarot card reader in the back. The place was always a hive of activity any time I was dragged there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I was told by another business owner in the area it's being turned into retail space

That's a pity, when I saw it closed I assumed that it's for refurbishment (admittedly badly needed)...
    I'll miss my occasional Greek plate!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Think you're a bit off the mark there, ugly duckling, the burrito place (which I prefered when it was in its older incarnation) and the Spanish place were still very good.
    Ugly Duckling left the Epicurean in January.

BeerNut wrote:
    Ugly Duckling left the Epicurean in January.

Ah, hadn't been since the new year. They possibly knew their fate. My point re: decent food in a clean environment recently still stands I feel, January isn't a long time as the other poster said.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ah, hadn't been since the new year. They possibly knew their fate.
    They did. I asked the owner in George's Street Arcade and they said that their lease ended and knew it was closing so they shut down. Still have this branch.

Saburrito's also closed there but opened up on Dame Street. They were, under their previous name, out serving burritos long long before Boojum kicked off their popularity.

Outside of that, I'd found Mamma Mia good enough (for the price of my voucher!) as well as Istanbul but the place overall used to be better. That and other places have upped their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

stimpson wrote: »
    It will always be the Abbey Mall to me :(

How long ago was that? :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

It's going to be a Dealz store now. I've a shop in George's Arcade and the same group owned Epicurion.
    Apparently it hasn't been doing the business in the last year.

Couldn't think of a worse outcome retail wise

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A real pity. It was such an exciting place to visit when I first started travelling to Dublin years ago. Every trip to Dublin involved checking out what was new at the Epicurean. Then when I moved to Dublin 10 years ago, I ate there regularly also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Haven't been in town for ages but am also very to hear that.
    My O.H has fond memories of buying Tapes of " The Smiths" in there many moons ago.
    That means we will have three Dealz all within a stones throw of each other as well as that Euroshop place! Does D.C.C not have rules about how close certain branches of the same store can be from each other?

Couldn't think of a worse outcome retail wise

Just what north city centre badly needs, more crapwares...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Haven't been in there in forever but still a shame to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

TBH the place was on a downward spiral for a while. I heard the rents being charged were very high and thats why a lot of business in there werent lasting and moving out.

I'll very much miss La Corte for excellent and reasonable Paninis and Coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ixoy wrote: »
    Saburrito's also closed there but opened up on Dame Street. They were, under their previous name, out serving burritos long long before Boojum kicked off their popularity.

Does anyone actually like them though? Used to work near their North Earl branch and it really was terrible. I'll eat at any of the other players but after two visits I never went back to Saburrito.

Epicurean was nice but its not the kinda place I found myself regularly even though I was a fan. It just wasnt something you really went out of the way to visit and because it was slightly hidden it probably missed all the tourist business. With a wide entrance that was more inviting and in Temple Bar prospects might have been better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

The city needs a good ethnic food hall. Not sure of the EFH was the ideal spot for one, but surely it can't be that difficult to put one together. There needs to be more choice between a restaurant and fast junk food.

The south asian one in the Moore Street Mall is good, if a bit small. Could do with a few more vendors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Don't know if anyone has been in the English Market in Cork but that's the model they should have followed.

Fresh produce from local suppliers, good tasty food to eat in or take away and the odd great restaurant. Pity.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone has been in the English Market in Cork but that's the model they should have followed.

Fresh produce from local suppliers, good tasty food to eat in or take away and the odd great restaurant. Pity.

The new Iveagh Markets is supposed to be just that... not sure what the progress is like over there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

mhge wrote: »
    The new Iveagh Markets is supposed to be just that... not sure what the progress is like over there?

Opening 2018, so a bit of a wait. However from the plans, it looks like it will be worth it. - About €100 million being invested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

mhge wrote: »

Southside. Typical. Something like the English Market is exactly what Henry Street/O'Connell St. needs to get people over the river. Its what Moore Street should be turned into instead of its current s*ithole/shrine status.

Advertisement