Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epicurean food Hall closed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

the rent was too high for what was being made probable and it was constantly being targeted by pickpockets

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I loved it too. Their soft tacos. And the first place in Dublin to do a good burrito. Actually they were different to the mainstream ones now, in a good way. It was always the busiest place. Clearly not covering overheads though. I doubt they set up anywhere else, but did they?

I'd love to know what happened to em. It was a small unit that ALWAYS had queues. I really struggle to see how they wouldn't cover overheads but other quieter places did. Guess it'll remain an unsolved mystery. Was really hoping to see them open up somewhere else but I guess they neever did :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

then why is there only even been one FSAI closure order there, way back in 2003?

Mainly because of the lack of EHOs due to the recession would be my main guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

esforum wrote: »
    the rent was too high for what was being made probable and it was constantly being targeted by pickpockets

? That's the first I've heard of it being targeted by pickpockets. There was always two or three lads keeping an eye on things. What was taken from you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I loved it too. Their soft tacos. And the first place in Dublin to do a good burrito. Actually they were different to the mainstream ones now, in a good way. It was always the busiest place. Clearly not covering overheads though. I doubt they set up anywhere else, but did they?

They're not the same taco taco that's on Dame Court now are they? Either way that Taco Taco is delish!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

They're not the same taco taco that's on Dame Court now are they? Either way that Taco Taco is delish!

No that's some Odeon fancy pop up carry on. TT fancy it ain't! Wasain't? Past tense for ain't?

I got REALLY excited by this a few weeks ago, and then REALLY pissed off when I realised it wasn't the same spot :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Hanley wrote: »
    I got REALLY excited by this a few weeks ago, and then REALLY pissed off when I realised it wasn't the same spot :(

Ah that's a too bad, I can only imagine how good the old place was, as the new taco taco is really nice in my own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

I'm gutted to hear this. It's a real shame, we don't need another bloody dealz

It's a long shot, but does anyone know if Istanbul are relocating anywhere else? I loved that place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Yeah, there's a two Dealz, including the huge one in Moore Street literally round the corner.

Dublin's crying out for a good sized permanent artisan food market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

MajorMax wrote: »
    I'm gutted to hear this. It's a real shame, we don't need another bloody dealz

It's a long shot, but does anyone know if Istanbul are relocating anywhere else? I loved that place

They are still there. The entrance is round the corner street off Liffey Street near the Spar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Tazz T wrote: »
    Yeah, there's a two Dealz, including the huge one in Moore Street literally round the corner.

Dublin's crying out for a good sized permanent artisan food market.

I wouldnt call the Epicurean food hall artisan in the slightest. Most of the fruit was glorified fast food. The fruit market is going to have a proper artisan food market.

The Epicurean is about 10 years behind modern food trends in Dublin. 10 years ago there was no decent sandwich/cafes in Dublin. Now there is literally dozens of them eg Brother Hubbard, Green Bench etc. Epicureans days were limited. There is dozens of amazing affordable cafes in Dublin. That dont feel like a glorified cattle shed like the Epicurean food hall felt like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

newacc2015 wrote: »
    I wouldnt call the Epicurean food hall artisan in the slightest. Most of the fruit was glorified fast food. The fruit market is going to have a proper artisan food market.

The Epicurean is about 10 years behind modern food trends in Dublin. 10 years ago there was no decent sandwich/cafes in Dublin. Now there is literally dozens of them eg Brother Hubbard, Green Bench etc. Epicureans days were limited. There is dozens of amazing affordable cafes in Dublin. That dont feel like a glorified cattle shed like the Epicurean food hall felt like

Oh gawd, what an insult to all the people who have lost their lively-hoods to say the least. Talk about kicking someone when they are down.

As said, the place was a bit tatty but neither dirty nor indeed filthy as flippantly commented. The landlord was wholly responsible for the tatty and shabbiness of the place, choosing to bank the rent as opposed to injecting some cash back into the place. The tenants were paying to rent a space only. All the stalls were regularly inspected by H&S so all this talk about cattle shed like is poppycock. TBH, most cattle sheds in this country are an absolute disgrace and if anywhere needs negative exposure, 'tis here.

Finally, it is a bloody shame that Dublin City Co.Co. did not have the cop to step in and try and save the place. There is definitely place in Dublin for a bit of diversity. The place was often packed to capacity with tourists and workers.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Now there is literally dozens of them eg Brother Hubbard, Green Bench etc. Epicureans days were limited. There is dozens of amazing affordable cafes in Dublin

Very few decent ones on the north side of the city centre actually. That's why we often went there.
    We also went to the little bakery cafe on Liffey Street but that also closed..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

The north city centre is being emptied out of places to have lunch. Boyers was another very good place, and Clery's was OK sometimes as well.

I think Epicurean was over-ambitious with evening opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I thought they rebranded to saburrito? Taco taco closed and saburrito opened at the same time. The staff all moved across initially as well.

I thought they rebranded to saburrito? Taco taco closed and saburrito opened at the same time. The staff all moved across initially as well.

I'm skeptical of this. The food was totally different. And as far as I remember taco taco closed quite a while before saburrito opened. But I could be wrong there!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

This definitely happened, hence my wording in my earlier post

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

This definitely happened, hence my wording in my earlier post

You're correct. I recall them actually advertising their name change.

ixoy wrote: »
    Very few decent ones on the north side of the city centre actually. That's why we often went there.
    We also went to the little bakery cafe on Liffey Street but that also closed..

Brother Hubbard is on Capel St and is an excellent cafe. Wigwam on Abbey St is great too. There is some amazing Chinese restaurants in Dublin 1, which you dont find on the southside. There is Boojum and few other affordable places in eat in the Italian Quarter. DCC are redeveloping their market off Capel St.

The problem with the northside is that the shopping area is basically Henry Street, where as Dublin 2 has far more shops. Dublin 2 is where a majority of office workers in the city centre work. There is hardly any office workers around the Northside of the city, versus around St. Stephens. Trinity College is very important for businesses around D2. There just isnt the demand for a ton of food places on the Northside like Dublin 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

The thing the Epicurean had going over places like Brother Hunbards etc was that you could go with a group and everyone could have something different. You weren't limited to the menu of one place, you could choose from loads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Hrududu wrote: »
    The thing the Epicurean had going over places like Brother Hunbards etc was that you could go with a group and everyone could have something different. You weren't limited to the menu of one place, you could choose from loads

That's very true. Brother Hubbard is difficult to get into anyway, you have to wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Not everyone wants to eat burritos though and if you do there are plenty of other places around. The epicurian was busy. Sad to see it go, hadnt been there in a few months but usually went there at least once a month if not more.

A cafe or two does not replace a food hall with lots of choice. Also, wigwam is terrible IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Chinasea wrote: »
    They are still there. The entrance is round the corner street off Liffey Street near the Spar.

Thank you Chinasea. I'll have to make sure I pop in for lunch as ASAP as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

There are many many lovely places around there to eat. However the food court nature of the place is what I will miss; eat what you want in a shared setting. Sad to see it go. the only comparable is upstairs in Jervis but that is chain food (except for Kays kitchen )

Just locally boojum, camerino, oxmantown, kays kitchen, hubbards, the new dunnes upstairs the list is a long long one !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Hrududu wrote: »
    It's a glorified food court.

PS: Can't believe the thread title is still Epicurean "foot" Hall. lulz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Stablemaster

Pure kip. Glad gone

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Pure kip. Glad gone

It could have done with a tidy up for sure but I'd much prefer it there than the Dealz that is going to open up. The northside is already saturated with euro shops.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    It could have done with a tidy up for sure but I'd much prefer it there than the Dealz that is going to open up. The northside is already saturated with euro shops.

Rents are starting to go up in Dublin 1. The euro stores are starting to leave Henry Street as the rents are getting too pricey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

I'm quite sad to see it go! I've worked part time in Arnotts for the last few years, and I used to pop in the odd time to get something to eat. The Ugly Duckling was great, the SFC Pastrami was the best burger you could get on the northside. Plus, the girl that worked there was super good looking.

Can also confirm that Dealz is indeed moving there, the girl from the Fusion Brazilian Grill told me last Saturday. This is a real shame. Everyone has been saying for years that the north side has been destroyed with crappy euro shops and fast food places. Well, here comes yet another supersized euro shop to drag the place down even further.

The Epicurean wasn't great in the last year or two, but at least it was different. You had a choice of different foods, and it was always full on weekends. There was a great buzz around the place. Mamma Mia's food was pretty close to being labelled "slop", but it was tasty slop. I loved it. And the staff were great. The Brazilian Pasteleria was also a highlight, their food was cheap and delicious.

Someone earlier said that the place was dirty or filthy, and I couldn't disagree more. Tables were always wiped down very quickly, and the place was always clean. The staff really did their best. The blame lies squarely on the landlord for letting the renting businesses and the staff down, by not reinvesting some of the profits to regularly freshen up the place.

Sad to see it go, and sad to see a lot of good and hardworking people lose their jobs. I have a lot of good memories from over the years there.

Advertisement