Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epicurean food Hall closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

The planning application, no decision made yet: http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=3079/16&theTabNo=1

The application cover letter stating it's going to be Dealz: http://www.dublincity.ie/AnitePublicDocs/00568803.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Jaysis that is a scam and nothing else.

I can understand the council charging for objections but €20 is very rich, it should be something nominal like a fiver or so. Most people will only spend €20 to object to something that affects them directly such as a neighbours planning application.

Its shameful too that an appeal is €220 with no refunds. Its like they are operating a we know best philosophy and those pesky citizens can put up or else pay up. Its a disgraceful way to run what is a check and balance on bad planning decisions. The council has rigged the game to suit themselves, youd never think their wages are paid by the general public with the arrogance of them.

Unfortunately, councils receive a fair number of vexatious objections purely by disgruntled neighbours, competitors, timewasters etc for reasons that have nothing to do with proper and sustainable planning. Introducing a charge is supposed to curb many such fake objections who often are only doing it to piss off the applicant. The integrity and merit of each observation/objection etc needs to be reviewed so that does involve time and effort by personnel so I can understand why a token charge needs to be set.

I know of two different acquaintances who had planning notices up and received correspondence from "supposed objectors" telling them that if they made a "donation", they would not object to their development. Objections can hold up developments by months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Jaysis that is a scam and nothing else.

I can understand the council charging for objections but €20 is very rich, it should be something nominal like a fiver or so. Most people will only spend €20 to object to something that affects them directly such as a neighbours planning application.

Think about it for a minute. That objection will have admin charges in DCC ie someone processing it, deciding whether the objection is valid or not etc. That all costs money and DCC is tight for cash.

DCC doesnt want to be dealing with tens of thousands of petty objections every year which would be the case with a €5 objection fee. There is a lot of people who would object to a lot of projects for the sake of it. €20 ensures they will only object when they have a valid reason to do so. I know making absolutely BS objections to projects. Having it €20 will reduce a lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Today's Irish Times reports that Dealz is definitely going to open at the food hall site.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/discount-retailer-dealz-to-open-in-former-epicurean-food-hall-1.2750835

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Today's Irish Times reports that Dealz is definitely going to open at the food hall site.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/discount-retailer-dealz-to-open-in-former-epicurean-food-hall-1.2750835

have to say i'm a bit dissapointed with that Dealz is grand but not really what that area needed given there's a big one already one on Henry Street, Talbott street and one in the ilac and pleanty of €2 shops around the city center , the food hall was class for along time slid a bit in the last few years but was still something a bit different , always enjoyed popping into the lil tapas place there.

Just aswell the Gin Palace beside the old hall does a nice Tapas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

have to say i'm a bit dissapointed with that Dealz is grand but not really what that area needed given there's a big one already one on Henry Street, Talbott street and one in the ilac and pleanty of €2 shops around the city center , the food hall was class for along time slid a bit in the last few years but was still something a bit different , always enjoyed popping into the lil tapas place there.

Just aswell the Gin Palace beside the old hall does a nice Tapas

Drove past there yesterday and the fire brigade were there putting out a fire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Drove past there yesterday and the fire brigade were there putting out a fire

Well fcuk that slamanca or bust it is so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Well fcuk that slamanca or bust it is so :P

All good, went by it earlier and it was open and busy

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Epicurean was great when it opened. Cavistons, La Corte, the Mexican place and of course Itsa Bagel. I think the rot started to set-in when Cavisons was replaced by a chipper. Itsa then moved out to Arnotts (great move) and the units gradually tuned into low quality slop houses. Such a shame that there is going to be a change of use- it could have been reset and relaunched as a food hall of the same standard it was 15 odd years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

murrayp4 wrote: »
    Epicurean was great when it opened. Cavistons, La Corte, the Mexican place and of course Itsa Bagel. I think the rot started to set-in when Cavisons was replaced by a chipper. Itsa then moved out to Arnotts (great move) and the units gradually tuned into low quality slop houses. Such a shame that there is going to be a change of use- it could have been reset and relaunched as a food hall of the same standard it was 15 odd years ago...

That is so untrue, and actually just a very lazy observation.

There were some very decent units in there that were spotlessly clean and serving excellent diverse foods. You do realize that people have lost their livelihoods.

As said, it was great to have a bit of diversity. The only shabby part about some parts of the place was the responsibility of the greedy landlords, who charged optimum rents but unashamedly invested not one single penny back into the premises.

Dealz now it is, for your landfill crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Chinasea wrote: »
    That is so untrue, and actually just a very lazy observation.

What I mean is you would walk around and see food in every one of those places sitting out all day under heat lights. When the place opened first every place served fresh quality food but it slid downhill.

And yes, of course its sad people have lost their businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

No loss, of late anyway. But then a Dealz is no great difference either. OMG.

Was a great spot to visit the ahem...facilities when on a treck through the town. Ground level lol.

Now I have to go to Arnotts or Debs. Up, and Up and up so many escalators. Sheesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Shame to see it go. It was always packed so the food would not have been sitting under a light for too long. At least there was a massive choice in places to eat, but hey let get a deals in there, maybe they could put 2 StarBucks on either side of it and a few subways at the front. It would fit with the rest of the city.

jd83 wrote: »
    Shame to see it go. It was always packed so the food would not have been sitting under a light for too long. At least there was a massive choice in places to eat, but hey let get a deals in there, maybe they could put 2 StarBucks on either side of it and a few subways at the front. It would fit with the rest of the city.

The city is changing,whether you like it or not. The Hall no longer serves the purpose it was set up for, which was a unique place to provide affordable and decent food in Dublin City. Look at all the amazing cafes and fast casual places that have been set up in the city in the last 10 years. You have the Boojums, all the Italian Cafes, Wow Burger, Bunsen etc all in that area. Guess what? Not a single one keeps their food under a light

I walked around the area around the Food Hall recently and for the first time living in Dublin for over 20 years I thought it looked some what respectable. I think a lot of people (yourself included) are so fixated on the odd Starbucks opening here and there, that you are completely ignoring all the other amazing places opening up in the City. You are also ignoring that Dublin is no longer looking like a Dive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

newacc2015 wrote: »
    The city is changing,whether you like it or not. The Hall no longer serves the purpose it was set up for, which was a unique place to provide affordable and decent food in Dublin City. Look at all the amazing cafes and fast casual places that have been set up in the city in the last 10 years. You have the Boojums, all the Italian Cafes, Wow Burger, Bunsen etc all in that area. Guess what? Not a single one keeps their food under a light

I walked around the area around the Food Hall recently and for the first time living in Dublin for over 20 years I thought it looked some what respectable. I think a lot of people (yourself included) are so fixated on the odd Starbucks opening here and there, that you are completely ignoring all the other amazing places opening up in the City. You are also ignoring that Dublin is no longer looking like a Dive

I believe JD83 was jesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Foodlover1

MajorMax wrote: »
    I'm gutted to hear this. It's a real shame, we don't need another bloody dealz

It's a long shot, but does anyone know if Istanbul are relocating anywhere else? I loved that place

They're opening up within the next month right across from the epicurean food hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Lookit, Dealz is great for the cheapo chargers for the Iphone and the Kindle. Retractable too, great for travelling. I bought loads! Haven't seen them anywhere else at 1.50 each.

But on a serious note. There has to be something wrong with a cheap discount shop opening in the city centre, when there are other branches around the corner already.

Wouldn't you think that DCC would have an interest in making the city more vibrant and diverse?

But I suppose they don't care as they are getting lots of rates.

Should have been a little market for independent traders or something. Anything but a cheapo shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Foodlover1 wrote: »
    They're opening up within the next month right across from the epicurean food hall.

I noticed also that Bobo's (the gourmet burger restaurant - also in Dame St) has opened further up Abbey Street closer to Supermacs. (maybe it's been there a while but I hadn't been down that street recently).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ongarboy wrote: »
    maybe it's been there a while

It has.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There's a decent noodle bar right opposite Starbucks on Liffey st. If you're missing your grubby, dirt cheap noodles. No MSG, simple, filling cartons of noodles with fresh chopped veg and beef. I've been there three times and of course I don't know the name of it, but it's got a green wooden entrance. Thai owned and Chines ran. Tasty and good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

God, losing a diverse food hall for a tacky chain discount store is quite a kick in the teeth..very very disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

John_Rambo wrote: »
    There's a decent noodle bar right opposite Starbucks on Liffey st. If you're missing your grubby, dirt cheap noodles. No MSG, simple, filling cartons of noodles with fresh chopped veg and beef. I've been there three times and of course I don't know the name of it, but it's got a green wooden entrance. Thai owned and Chines ran. Tasty and good value.

Kokoro. Nice spot. Got some takeout from there earlier.

wakka12 wrote: »
    God, losing a diverse food hall for a tacky chain discount store is quite a kick in the teeth..very very disappointing

I would agree, but the area has changed so much. There was no where decent to eat there a few years ago. Now you are spoiled for choice.

At the end of the day we live in a capitalist society. People should be allowed to decide what to do with their own property, where it be a food hall or a discount store. I imagine with the way that area is going in a few years Dealz will be priced out like all the discount stores are being on Henry St.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Dealz is now up and running. Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Renatadublin

Hi guys. Does anyone knows is mamma Mia opened anywhere else? I just miss that place a lot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I used to love Taco Taco. Don't suppose they went anywhere? They had the best and only real burritos in town before the current craze.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Our success story began since a long time ago when we opened the very first burrito bar in Dublin, which was a great success. Later we decided to grow our company by opening a larger unit in the Epicurean Food Hall in less than 10 months we opened another unit in Liffey Valley Shopping Centre collecting more success, we continued to grow with the opening of franchise stores in North Earl street and in Pavillions Shopping Centre. We are still continuing to expand with the upcoming opening of our latest restaurant in Dame Street Dublin.

As you may know it's actually Saburritos now. I wonder if it's the same as how it was in the food hall? Their burritos were amazing, not quite like the ones in every other place they were different. Must try saburritos now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

As you may know it's actually Saburritos now. I wonder if it's the same as how it was in the food hall? Their burritos were amazing, not quite like the ones in every other place they were different. Must try saburritos now.

Only tried Saburritos once, that North Earl Street branch mentioned in your quote. Honestly, I've had better. Found the chicken to be very dry, though that could have been a one off. Personally, I Prefer Boojum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Slightly off topic, but what happened to Mission down the road from EFH on Lower Liffey Street? They always seemed busy and had good burritos... it's now a really awful pizza place but it seems to be the same owner?!

Advertisement