Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best network for roaming/ travelling abroad?

Options
  • 16-03-2016 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hey all,

So, I'm heading to Europe for a few weeks and wondering which network provider is offering the best packages atm?
    I've been lookin' myself my my brain is just frazzled from it all. :(
    I'd been looking for data over calls/text packages.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Why not buy a local prepaid SIM when travelling? Probably works out cheaper than roaming charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cb1959

nirzenra wrote: »
    Hey all,

So, I'm heading to Europe for a few weeks and wondering which network provider is offering the best packages atm?
    I've been lookin' myself my my brain is just frazzled from it all. :(
    I'd been looking for data over calls/text packages.

Thanks!
    Eir & Meteor now have free roaming in Europe - so they should be your best option. I used to get separate SIMs in each country abroad, but in recent years I have used Eir/Meteor because even their previous roaming deal was cheaper than getting separate SIMs. The free roaming allows you to use your voice and text in bundle as if you were at home, and there is also 1GB of Internet included free. The deals are only advertised for Bill-pay accounts, although there are some reports on Boards that new Meteor pre-pay customers are also getting them - I can't verify this though. However, if you go with a SIM-only account, your commitment is only 30 days on bill-pay, so you are no more tied down than you would be with pre-pay.

Meteor is generally better for standalone mobile plans, while Eir can work out better value if you are bundling with Eir Fibre Broadband or TV. Eir & Meteor let you get the free roaming on all their roaming partners whereas Three only let you get their roam like home deal on other Three networks in a handful of countries. Roam off Three accidentally and you get hammered. Three are best avoided. Vodafone have a daily rate for roaming on their Red plans, but it works out as very expensive compared to Eir/Meteor.

You can use a standard phone SIM for tethering with Eir & Meteor - so no need to get a specific Broadband account.

Advertisement