Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Female pup to be neutered

• 16-03-2016 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭

Hi, a neighbour has acquired a female puppy, nice little thing. I suggested she consider neutering and after discussing the pros and cons, she decided to go that route. She hasn't really got the money for this, so anyone know of a way to have done at less than the going rate....which I think is approx €150....and to done when pup is about six months? I think I remember something about some organisations doing free for pensioners/low earners etc.

I see similar queries on boards.ie but hopefully someone may have some up to date info.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

What kind of pup? If was my dog I would not be getting her done at 6 mths. Is she based in Dublin?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Knine wrote: »
    What kind of pup? If was my dog I would not be getting her done at 6 mths. Is she based in Dublin?

The person in question is in the Dublin area. Small terrier type, probably grow to JRT size. I know from a bitch I had years ago it was recommended to let have a first heat and then do it, at approx nine months....but there seem to conflicting views on this now. What would your reason be not to do it at six months?

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    The person in question is in the Dublin area. Small terrier type, probably grow to JRT size. I know from a bitch I had years ago it was recommended to let have a first heat and then do it, at approx nine months....but there seem to conflicting views on this now. What would your reason be not to do it at six months?

I prefer them to be mature & have had one season. In fact in some large breeds early spaying neutering is linked to bone cancers & joint issues. Brian Jones in Coldwinters does better prices then Dublin vets. Coldwinters is near Dogs Trust. Our Jack Russell cross was done at less then a year & he has terrible joint problems.

spurious wrote: »

Cheers for that.

• Advertisement

Knine wrote: »
    I prefer them to be mature & have had one season. In fact in some large breeds early spaying neutering is linked to bone cancers & joint issues. Brian Jones in Coldwinters does better prices then Dublin vets. Coldwinters is near Dogs Trust. Our Jack Russell cross was done at less then a year & he has terrible joint problems.

Ok thanks for that info. For for thought. I don't think it will be an issue to "mind" the dog until over twelve months old and then have it done.

Thanks

If she does not get sorted with a Dog's Trust voucher I'm sure Brian Jones would do a decent price for her. Good on you for looking out for your neighbour & her little dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭HarrietD

The Irish Blue Cross also have a low cost neutering scheme.

Thanks all for the feedback

Advertisement