Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this wait for rental properties normal?

Options
  • 16-03-2016 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

So the deal is, I moved here from another country last year and I'm not accustomed to the rental system in Ireland just yet. The place I'm in now is a winter let of a holiday home, I said I'd take it and moved in no fuss.
    I viewed a property a week and a half ago and said I'd take it, but the letting agent said the landlords want it kept up for a while to see what else comes along. Two of us would be moving in, both with full time jobs, no pets, no children, I don't really see why we haven't been accepted, we have good references.
    The country I come from don't work this way, we say we'll take a place, they do a credit check, take a work reference and a deposit and you get your keys, this can be done all in the same day and you're away.
    As you can imagine, this was a bit of a shock and it's fairly frustrating, my current lease has about 6 weeks left, but I'm concerned now that it'll take me too long to get a place if these waits are the norm here.
    So...is this what everyone is experiencing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

The landlord, for whatever reason, has put you down as their plan B tenant. Why this is could be anyone's guess but that's not normal and I'd be pretty insulted if I was told they were waiting for something else to come along. Sounds like the landlord might not be worth the hassle. Just move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

I wouldn't say it's the norm, at least I've never experienced anything like this.

However, with rental properties being in demand, I can see (although not agree with) why a landlord would do this.

If I were you, I would see this as an indication of what kind of a man he is - greedy - with a concern for money over the quality of tenants.

If your money isn't good enough for him, look somewhere else.
    With only 6 weeks to go, I would NOT be sitting around waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 SparklesBlood

Thanks for replying. I wasn't sure to be honest, since the letting agent had said he had another couple waiting on another house we viewed for 2 weeks and that house is still available. Thought this might just be normal here and bizarre to me being foreign.

Advertisement