Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X99 or Z170

Options
  • 16-03-2016 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭

I'm upgrading this year, in a few months. Just wondered on folks opinion on which way to go. I don't want to hold off to see what happens with Kabylake or whatever cos there's always a newer processor around the corner and the wait would be endless:D

So its a simple choice, x99/5820k or z170/6700k. Gaming usage only. Currently at 1080p but that will be changing this year too once we see what the red and green team have to offer us, my idea is hopefully 4k but at the very least widescreen 1440p.

I don't upgrade often so I'm willing to spend good money on it. My current mobo and processor are 6 years old now and I'm likely to hang onto the new ones for a similar time frame as long as they are up to the job.

I'd post a poll but I can't figure it out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Z170

No point paying through the nose for an X99 with zero benefit to you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Seconded. For gaming Z170, for some kind of intensive media production X99.

CPUs and mobo/RAM nowadays look set to last for years in usefulness, but if (big if) VR takes off in a couple of years then GPUs are gonna be bashed badly and CPUs to a lesser extent. On the upside, if everything takes off in a huge way (think consoles releasing to be truly VR-ready) then everything should get that little bit cheaper for everyone else.

Advertisement