Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United V Liverpool BT Europe and Elsewhere 8pm

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

doc_17 wrote: »
    What an awful signing Schweinsteiger was
    Kirby wrote: »
    It's not like he cost a lot. And hes still the best footballer in that United midfield. His legs aren't what they were for sure but hes still useful.

Is it just me or does he look about three stone heavier than he was in his prime? My legs would be gone too if I was lugging that barrel of a torso around the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Hard luck united.

Maybe Jose can do something next year, I hope he goes to OT, the EPL is better with him in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Joe has the balls to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Lolchester united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Damage was done from the first leg, Id find it hard to believe we would have put on such a pathetic, toothless display as we did last week, under Fergie

I don't think so either. Was never in Fergies armoury to turn up and be happy with a 0-0 (or very rarely) he'd always prefer a 2-1 away from home loss rather than a 0-0.

United are in transition. The Fergie era was so good to the fans and United won so much it's hard to see the team where they are now for the fans. Like an addict craving the next drink, hit, bet whatever. It's alien to them.

The next managerial appointment could be crucial for United, get it wrong and could be in a similar situation to us during the the last 20 years. I'm glad we've got Klopp now as he looks to be a man to get us back moving in the right direction rather than slip further down the table.

Good thread over the last two games and fair play to both sets of fans here for not arsing about and picking fights etc.

Best of luck for the rest of the season chaps. It's been a decent experience for our first meeting in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Easy enough in the end. Hard to believe how poor utd are.LVG has set Utd back a few years. Expect a much tougher game in the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

If we had Fergie we'd be in a champions league quarter final
    If my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

De Gea is a great keeper but I thought he was poor for the Pool goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

He was. Showed way too much of the goal to Coutinho. He kept the score from getting embarrassing over the 2 legs so for that he gets a pass.

He was great over both legs, particularly 1st leg.

He's wasting his career at Utd imo and needs to move to one of the top teams. Deserves to be dining at the top table

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

RoboKlopp wrote: »

He's wasting his career at Utd imo and needs to move to one of the top teams. Deserves to be dining at the top table

If they don't finish top 4, then he'll surely be off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Augme wrote: »
    Sahko for me. DDG was woeful for Liverpool's goal.

Keeper doesn't save a 1 on 1 and is woeful? I'm not having that.

Coutinho gets all the credit IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I don't think so either. Was never in Fergies armoury to turn up and be happy with a 0-0 (or very rarely) he'd always prefer a 2-1 away from home loss rather than a 0-0.

United are in transition. The Fergie era was so good to the fans and United won so much it's hard to see the team where they are now for the fans. Like an addict craving the next drink, hit, bet whatever. It's alien to them.

The next managerial appointment could be crucial for United, get it wrong and could be in a similar situation to us during the the last 20 years. I'm glad we've got Klopp now as he looks to be a man to get us back moving in the right direction rather than slip further down the table.

Good thread over the last two games and fair play to both sets of fans here for not arsing about and picking fights etc.

Best of luck for the rest of the season chaps. It's been a decent experience for our first meeting in Europe.

If we dont bring Jose in we are going to be in the wilderness for some time imo.

RoboKlopp wrote: »

It will be a miracle if he is in a United shirt next season. He is far too good for the current incarnation of our team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Soups123 wrote: »
    So you want draws every week?

Nahh, win and a draw every two weeks. 76 points would get top 4 I'd say.

Highlights on Setanta now for anyone interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Klopp said Hendo went off due to illness.

Think Klopp is ill for not taking him off because he was shîte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Klopp said Henderson was ill. Said he was vomitting at ht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

:D:D:D

If we dont bring Jose in we are going to be in the wilderness for some time imo.

I don't think Jose is the right choice. An improvement on LVG alright but he seems to cause trouble where ever he goes.

Simeone would be a great fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

SlickRic wrote: »

It was a very tight angle. If he stands up straight then theres no angle to hit at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I don't think Jose is the right choice. An improvement on LVG alright but he seems to cause trouble where ever he goes.

I think Gary Megson is a hugely underrated manager and I'd love to see him given a chance at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Lol at Webb on BT saying Felliani should be sent off, by a ref who lived in Alex's pocket through his career.

One sided tie overall in the end, only poor finishing made it respectable in the end. United were so poor over the 2 legs, it almost takes some of the joy out if winning the tie......almost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

He left a gaping hole at his near post (not a 1 on 1, there were plenty of defenders around) and Coutinho exploited that. Brilliant finish, but horrendous keeping. He was great in the first leg but that goal killed United off. MOTM? Never.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Simeone speaks pretty much zero English I believe. Wouldn't be a good situation when he can't get his message across directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Fellaini is comedy gold. How has he ended up playing cm for utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Simeone has a deal until 2020 so not likely.

If it is true Conte is going to Chelsea, then maybe look at trying to get Max Allegri?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

What we need is someone to steady the ship, Jose is that man imo. He may not be a long term (though I do think he covets the job so much he would want it for the long haul, he idolises Fergie so its not to much of a stretch to think he would want to try and emulate his achievements) but we have seen what he can do in a relatively short space of time with a squad that has some decent players and money to spend.

The biggest mistake we made was not appointing him when Fergie left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

5starpool wrote: »
    Simeone speaks pretty much zero English I believe. Wouldn't be a good situation when he can't get his message across directly.

He seems like the Diego Costa type, grunt and snarl. That'll do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

i feel sorry for LVG.. he's actually human and gracious in defeat..prob hadnt the 'control' like other managers
    the fans hate him because he's realistic..

unlike fergie.. some say who was a man who dominated refereeing decisions had power over officials, i dont know who these people are though..although we dont see these crazy decisions for man u anymore... its really weird and most probably a coincidence... very fishy but no gills involved you know..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

well that was obviously never the case

Potichino had no English when he came first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

United have no excuses . They have the money to buy proven quality.
    They choose not to, they choose to buy potential.
    Barcelona , Madrid, they buy quality not potential. I could not name that team tonight, no one of note in it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Potichino had no English when he came first.

He did, he just didn't think it was good enough for the media as he didn't want to say something that would be interpreted in the wrong way.

I knew as I typed my first response that he would be brought up.

If Simeone had a real interest in managing in England in the next few years he would be learning the language.

well that was obviously never the case

Why would you think that?

Fergie would have played for the win but an away goal in Europe is vital.

0-0 away from home and you conceed at home means you need two at least.

1-1 or 2-1 loss away from home means you have the advantage at home, one goal early on and the away team needs to go attack or they are out on away goals, and you just pick them off on the counter all night long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Pure magic from little Phil, beautiful! That's for hanging that horrible "murderers" banner on the motorway, absolutely delighted for the mancs haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

LFC 'fans' throwing seats

Stuff like that happens every time they visit OT,they like to wreck the place.

He did, he just didn't think it was good enough for the media as he didn't want to say something that would be interpreted in the wrong way.

I knew as I typed my first response that he would be brought up.

If Simeone had a real interest in managing in England in the next few years he would be learning the language.

I personally think he'll stay with Alti for another year or two.

Will move on to a club on the next level eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I personally think he'll stay with Alti for another year or two.

Will move on to a club on the next level eventually.

Hes won La Liga and been to the UCL final the last few years and hes on course to finish ahead of Real Madrid, if anything hes already at a club above or on par with the elite level of the EPL.

Just saying........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

LVG us just ignoring Liverpool's chances in the 1st half.

Apparently Liverpool 'could not cope' with Utd in the first half.

The man is delusional.

LVG us just ignoring Liverpool's chances in the 1st half.

Apparently Liverpool 'could not cope' with Utd in the first half.

The man is delusional.

Love his arrogance. Long may he stay

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Hes won La Liga and been to the UCL final the last few years and hes on course to finish ahead of Real Madrid, if anything hes already at a club above or on par with the elite level of the EPL.

Just saying........

Im aware of his success.

In my post above i didnt mention an PL team.

Alti wouldn't be considered one of the Elite clubs though. Elite clubs would be Munich, Real, Barca, United (even now) Juventus, City (sneaking in there now with all their money) and PSG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Im aware of his success.

Alti wouldn't be considered one of the Elite clubs though. Elite clubs would be Munich, Real, Barca, United (even now) Juventus, City (sneaking in there now with all their money) and PSG.

Jaysus. I'd have Atleti ahead of those 3 for starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Fellaini is comedy gold. How has he ended up playing cm for utd.
    It's not rocket science. David Moyes is how. Fellaini was a very effective player for him at Everton. So I suppose that when he got the gig at OT, he thought Fellaini could have the same impact again. But Fellaini is nowhere near the quality of player that United fans (and indeed the club) demand.

Im aware of his success.

In my post above i didnt mention an PL team.

In footballing terms Utd aren't elite atm. Far from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Im aware of his success.

Hes still performing better in Europe than any English side since Chelsea winning it in 2012 and breaking the Real Madrid/Barca dominance in the league is nothing to be played down.

Hes 100% Atleti, he'll only leave of his own accord and I cant see any team tempting him away in the short term.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement