Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carers Benefit Wait time?

Options
  • 17-03-2016 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Is there a waiting time as well for Carers Benefit as opposed to Carers Allowance? I am looking at applying and taking Carers leave from work and can't really afford to have no income if there is a waiting time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tishia05

Is there a waiting time as well for Carers Benefit as opposed to Carers Allowance? I am looking at applying and taking Carers leave from work and can't really afford to have no income if there is a waiting time.

Hi. I applied for for domiciliary allowance in june 2015 ,had it refused in nov 2015. Appealed in Nov 2015 and still waiting.
    For carers allowance application was sent and received on 10th Dec . Haven't heard anything yet.
    Just call them. Don't give up as some can be quite abrupt.
    If you explain your situation they may help in different way

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pennywise

Hi Did you apply, if so have you gotten a response. I am applying and like you I'm worried about the length of time for a response. Thanks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

No I didn't Pennywise. I need to check around first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

No I didn't Pennywise. I need to check around first.

Apply anyway. Your maybe that you'll not have to take the leave until its granted. In that case you would have no break in income.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

Can you do that Kristopherus? That makes it possibly easier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭bluenessy

I applied for carers allowance Dec 9th, Got refused last week. Domiciliary forms are in and haven't heard a thing back yet.

On the phone they said average wait time is 16-20 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

12-14 weeks wait time for Carers Benefit they told me. Applied in early July and waiting to be refused!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

my son is waiting since november .. still no answer

my son is waiting since november .. still no answer

That's absolutely shocking. There is no need for this delay. Even the quoted 12-14 weeks is far too long. I don't know what I'll do if I'm refused. My replacement has already been appointed so it's not like I can walk back into my job :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

That's absolutely shocking. There is no need for this delay. Even the quoted 12-14 weeks is far too long. I don't know what I'll do if I'm refused. My replacement has already been appointed so it's not like I can walk back into my job :(

Fluffys son is waiting for Allowance not Benefit

• Advertisement

Fluffys son is waiting for Allowance not Benefit

Sorry, I presumed it was Benefit as that was what the original post was about :confused:

Sorry, I presumed it was Benefit as that was what the original post was about :confused:

I know , he's not well and in hospital at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭aileach

Peig Sayers - did you apply for Carers benefit last July? That's nearly a year waiting for CB?

aileach wrote: »
    Peig Sayers - did you apply for Carers benefit last July? That's nearly a year waiting for CB?

Oops :o, I meant I applied in early May!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭aileach

Oops :o, I meant I applied in early May!

Aha! Have you had any word back since? I'm half afraid to take leave from work in case I get refused.

aileach wrote: »
    Aha! Have you had any word back since? I'm half afraid to take leave from work in case I get refused.

No, nothing. Not even an acknowledgement :mad:. I rang them after a month to ask if they had received my application. I was told that they had and the wait time was 12-14 weeks. They could at least have e-mailed to say thank you for your application but I guess that's too much to ask :rolleyes:

No, nothing. Not even an acknowledgement :mad:. I rang them after a month to ask if they had received my application. I was told that they had and the wait time was 12-14 weeks. They could at least have e-mailed to say thank you for your application but I guess that's too much to ask :rolleyes:

If you are without any income at all while you are waiting you can see your CWO for help.
    Carers Dept is very short staffed. One day when I rang exasperated myself the lady said that there were 5 people working in the office that day, that's not the staffs fault.
    I think if somebody had to take the time to send a Thank You for Your Email email to everyone who sends an application, then that would mean even more delays.

Advertisement