Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireball/Meteor Sighting. West of Dunshaughlin Co Meath

Options
  • 17-03-2016 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

I searched for astronomy ireland because I thought this was worth reporting and found this site.
    Wednesday 16/03/2016 22:36
    Football sized, off white or yellowish fireball.
    Largest and brightest I have seen. As described above, due west of Dunshaughlin Co Meath. It started high in the sky and fell vertically before me. My perception was that it was as large as a football leaving a bright trail 500M to 1Km away. I was expecting to hear an impact but no sound so maybe farther away towards Drumree ,Maynooth or Kilcock. I hope this is of interest to someone and interested to know if anyone else saw it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Well spotted, last night was a wonderful night for observing, with near perfect conditions in my area.
    Its very hard to predict the fall of such objects, a few of the guys on here who are into this area of observation might be able to establish its trajectory etc.

5. 4. 3. 2. 1. 0. cue Astronomy Ireland slagging match.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

There are no reports of it on the AMS site, but with the information you have you can report it and wait and see if anyone else confirms it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

There are no reports of it on the AMS site, but with the information you have you can report it and wait and see if anyone else confirms it.

haha.. reports "and" confirmations ! :)
    We should be "privileged" that PlanetX decided to send its signs so close to our homes !
    That's only the beginning, wondering how it escaped the cover-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Confirms, as in reports it also, allowing the OP to know if someone else saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Woo finally someone else who saw it !
    I saw it from Glasnevin Cemetery while shooting star trails -https://www.flickr.com/photos/landscapeaddict/25762328211/in/dateposted/
    Was going mad that it wasn't in the right direction of my shot as would've been my shot of the year. If i wasn't shooting star trails i would've turned my camera to try even see the vapour trial.
    It looked fairly green though from my view. Lasted for about 2 seconds. my mate even had time to turn to see it as he saw a reflection of it in my hi vis jacket!

Looking West near the moon. Was up there too with the best fireballs i've seen.

Was very similar to this one later that night as seen from london, not as bright though.
    https://www.facebook.com/severeweatherEU/videos/1785420898347670/?pnref=story

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Green fireball in UK...the beginning !? or just St Patrick's Day ?

Advertisement