Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Modern Classic... eventually Cafe Racer

• 17-03-2016 8:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭

I'm itching to get a new bike... I haven't had one in about 10 years, but I'm now in a position where I might be able to afford it in addition to my car... which I need for work.

I've always been into classic styles and not raw power, and I'll have to do my drivers test, so I'm looking for some advice from Irish riders to point me in the right direction... The idea is that I'll slowly change parts until its a bit custom/cafe racer'ish

The three bikes I'm looking at are:
    Moto Guzzi V7 Stornello
    Triumph Bonneville
    Ducati Scrambler

The Moto Guzzi is my first choice, I need to check the riding position as I have long legs & the engine is mounted at 90 degrees... but I like the idea of it... great for city and light touring. Although there's no local dealer...

The Bonne is a classic and apparently has great dynamics... I could see myself customising it. However, I'm not keen on the new Street Twin version... there's some styling elements I just don't like... even after it is heavily customised.

The Ducati has to be mentioned, but to be honest, I think this bike is a bit of a cynical marketing exercise... It looks great, but since VW took them over I think the styling has become more like that of a VW Golf, with plastic covers and details that are irrelevant to the function of the machine... Its also on the small side for me... But I can't deny that superficially it looks good (if a little toy like) and by all accounts seems to perform well...

111715-2016-moto-guzzi-v7-ii-stornello-07-478x389.jpgtriumph-bonneville-02.jpglead4-2015-ducati-scrambler-fr.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Not sure what's available in Dubai or Hong Kong but I,d wait till you know where you're going....personally I,d buy a classic from the start...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Bluefoam wrote: »
    The Bonne is a classic and apparently has great dynamics... I could see myself customising it. However, I'm not keen on the new Street Twin version... there's some styling elements I just don't like... even after it is heavily customised.
    Behold Triumph's 2017 offering...

TriumphBobber003-900x600.jpg

http://www.therideadvice.com/2017-triumph-bonneville-bobber-on-the-cards/

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2015/july/triumph-bonneville-bobber-revealed/

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2016/march/triumph-bobber-gets-bonnie-grunt/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Kawasaki W800 is a good alternative. I have one and really like it.

300px-Kawasaki_W_800_right_side.jpg

Bikeworld.ie also have the "Mash Scrambler". No idea what it's like, but it's cheap.

12743632_10156573686700344_3536929063510081738_n.jpg?oh=f7b0b6fd71ad36ed3a5c0d71a5472fdf&oe=5792FEAF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Gavin wrote: »
    Bikeworld.ie also have the "Mash Scrambler". No idea what it's like, but it's cheap.
    French...400cc, 29BHP...PASS

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    French...400cc, 29BHP...PASS

I like it but would rather build one myself,only better..looks like a mish mash...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I've negotiated a reasonable discount on a bike... however, here's my problem...

I never actually took the test in Ireland... If I do it here, I won't be able to transfer it when i get home... Should I just get my licence here (Dubai) and re-do the test when i return to Ireland (eventually)?

The bike is a 2015 MG V7 Racer (new)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Forget about those old fashioned bikes.
    Get a S1000RR or the new ZX-10R. Plenty of power in them.

Pugzilla wrote: »

I think you've missed the point there...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I think you've missed the point there...

You'll be bored of those bikes after a few days. Why not get your money's worth if you're buying new?

Thanks for the input Pugzilla... I'm not really interested in your well informed view. Please stay on topic.

• Advertisement

Horses for courses....i have sports bikes and classics... i LOVE riding the classics....more relaxing..whereas the sports make me drive like a nut....:D

Just taking the piss.

If going for a classic, you should consider the new 1200cc Thruxton.

Just taking the piss.

If going for a classic, you should consider the new 1200cc Thruxton.

Yeah...one of these in Laragh this morning...yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

I have this it's a moto guzzi griso 1200. 09 and only 1500 miles on it.

Advertisement