Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing field behind maternity

• 17-03-2016 9:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭

Went to go down there with the dog and realised it's being gated off now. It's private? A bit annoying that the green area there is not being utilised by the public.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Went to go down there with the dog and realised it's being gated off now. It's private? A bit annoying that the green area there is not being utilised by the public.

As far as I know that's being or was being used by Shelbourne soccer club as one of their pitches. It may still be used by them or not I ain't 100% sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think it's used by Shelbourne but managed by city hall. I assume the idea of locking gates is the age old excuse of trying to stop anti social behaviour.

Rather than take on the few they stop or restrict everyone from using the amenity.

phog wrote: »
    I think it's used by Shelbourne but managed by city hall. I assume the idea of locking gates is the age old excuse of trying to stop anti social behaviour.

Rather than take on the few they stop or restrict everyone from using the amenity.

I think that's Shelbourne Park you're thinking of. City Hall manage that and only let Shelbourne and Balla use it when there is nothing else on, think that's why both clubs have other pitches such as Bateman Park and LPYMA that they have leases on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I used to go there as a kid. I think we called it "young men's", so perhaps some relation to the YMCA? Here it is on the map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya it's called the LPYMA and Shelbourne still use the pitch apparently. I haven't heard of them using it in years though. I've heard developers have been trying to get their hands on that land for years.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's the LPYMA (Limerick Protestant Young Mens Association).

Yeah that's the LPYMA (Limerick Protestant Young Mens Association).
    It would make a nice public park. Public playing field or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Jofspring wrote: »
    Ya it's called the LPYMA and Shelbourne still use the pitch apparently. I haven't heard of them using it in years though. I've heard developers have been trying to get their hands on that land for years.

It's is indeed used by Shelbourne FC. We've trained on it a number of times this season. And I'm pretty sure the underage structure use it regularly. Not sure who it officially 'belongs' to.

Hooked wrote: »
    It's is indeed used by Shelbourne FC. We've trained on it a number of times this season. And I'm pretty sure the underage structure use it regularly. Not sure who it officially 'belongs' to.
    Why the locked gate?

Just checked the Limerick District Schoolboys League page and they have Shelbourne down as still playing matches in the LPYMA so they must still have the lease and play matches there when Shelbourne Park is unavailable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Why the locked gate?

Not really sure. I know certain members of Shelbourne FC are key holders. As I said above... I've no idea who actually owns it or has rights to use it. I just know that Shelbourne regularly do.

Why the locked gate?

If it's leased and used by a soccer club the last thing they want is people wrecking the pitch or getting hurt and putting a claim in against the club for getting hurt on their grounds.

If it's leased and used by a soccer club the last thing they want is people wrecking the pitch or getting hurt and putting a claim in against the club for getting hurt on their grounds.
    Well it was open to the public for years, now they've decided to lock it up. There is a large area unused which is not pitch also.

If I was limerick city council I'd be thinking about a compulsory purchase order.

Well it was open to the public for years, now they've decided to lock it up. There is a large area unused which is not pitch also.

If I was limerick city council I'd be thinking about a compulsory purchase order.

It is owned by the council I think and Shelbourne have it leased from them to use.

It is owned by the council I think and Shelbourne have it leased from them to use.
    Wow, and the council don't allow the general public access. Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The fact it's so hidden away might be a reason why it's not favoured for public use. I remember as a kid we used to hop the wall at the opposite side to go in and play football, the wall would bring you in to farranshone but it was usually dodgy enough with groups of lads hanging around as it was dark at night and kind of hidden.

Because Shelbourne FC have the running of it while the lease to use it is in their name and Shelbourne use it as a soccer pitch not a public park.

Also Shelbourne Park is only around the corner which is open to the public so why so why are you complaining about the LPYMA being closed off.

Because Shelbourne FC have the running of it while the lease to use it is in their name and Shelbourne use it as a soccer pitch not a public park.

Also Shelbourne Park is only around the corner which is open to the public so why are you complaining about the LPYMA being closed off.

I think that's Shelbourne Park you're thinking of. City Hall manage that and only let Shelbourne and Balla use it when there is nothing else on, think that's why both clubs have other pitches such as Bateman Park and LPYMA that they have leases on.

I don't know who owns it but I was referring to the field in the OP. AFAIK, the houses bordering the field has made representations to the council or the gardai about anti social behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Why the locked gate?

maybe they are tired of picking up dog crap
    Went to go down there with the dog and realised it's being gated off now. .......

• Advertisement

I know Shelbourne had issues with horses grazing there too so maybe they looked for and got permission to lock it up. There was always a gate there though, one on the Ennis Rd.

gctest50 wrote: »
    maybe they are tired of picking up dog crap
    I pick up after the dog. There's crap everywhere in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Can you not use Shelbourne Park around the corner?

I pick up after the dog. There's crap everywhere in Limerick.

I was at Lake Garda a few years ago, an Italian couple had their dog on the beach, a story beach. Next thing I hear screeching, when I look the husband is rushing towards the dog, picks him up and brings him to the their vehicle where they had a pot for the dog to pee in. Meanwhile, the wife scooped up the stones where the dog had started to do his business and washed them.

In Ireland if we're lucky the pet owner will scoop up poo. In some cases, the owner will then leave the plastic bag down on the ground or "hide" it in the bushes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Did the mighy Treaty Sarsfields GAA club (now defunct) use that pitch many years ago. Fairly sure they were from the Farranshone area. Long before my time..!!!

Can you not use Shelbourne Park around the corner?
    Its a big green area close to town owned by the council. They can do better than leasing it out for football practise.

Yeah I could go to shelbourne park but that's not the point.

Its a big green area close to town owned by the council. They can do better than leasing it out for football practise.

Such as?

Yeah I could go to shelbourne park but that's not the point.

I see your point to a degree but Shelbourne maintain it and use it for games too.

There has to be a happy medium about public access and damage to playing fields.

Such as?
    If you had access to it from the south it would be more accessible and more open. A public park comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

If you had access to it from the south it would be more accessible and more open. A public park comes to mind.

Firstly Shelbourne are renting it so they have every right to close it off. But it's too closed off to be used as a public park in my opinion and would just attract anti social behaviour.

Advertisement