Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing field behind maternity

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

If you had access to it from the south it would be more accessible and more open. A public park comes to mind.

But Shelbourne Park is only around the corner, why have two public parks less then a mile apart in the one area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

But Shelbourne Park is only around the corner, why have two public parks less then a mile apart in the one area.

I have no difficulty with two or more public parks in an area and we also have Westfields nearby and there's also a park in or near Mayorstone but once a club gets rights to use one for a playing field I can see why they'd want to protect it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

phog wrote: »
    I have no difficulty with two or more public parks in an area and we also have Westfields nearby and there's also a park in or near Mayorstone but once a club gets rights to use one for a playing field I can see why they'd want to protect it.
    I suppose I'm just a little annoyed as there was always access before. Used to hang out there as a kid. Looks like the fence is bent open anyway so the undesirables still have access, they are just keeping out the responsible adults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

phog wrote: »

Oh I agree with you on the club protecting it's playing field. Was involved with another club on the north side and had trouble trying to keep people wrecking the field, had one guy who always used to play golf on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

I suppose I'm just a little annoyed as there was always access before. Used to hang out there as a kid. Looks like the fence is bent open anyway so the undesirables still have access, they are just keeping out the responsible adults.

Councils around the country own lots of parcels of land and lease them to local sporting organisations.

Tallaght stadium AFAIK belongs to the council and is rented to Shamrock rovers.

Previously it may have been an open field accessible to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya spot on about Tallaght.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I think Stefanovich is making a good point. This is a very valuable public green space very near the city centre. It should be open to the city rather than any single group.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

It has been used for sports for as long as I can remember, to have it open to the public would inevitably lead to insurance claims and a full time park attendant on hand.

A €5 lock saves a lot of money,

I vaguely recall the Maternity were looking to take some of that land before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

zulutango wrote: »
    I think Stefanovich is making a good point. This is a very valuable public green space very near the city centre. It should be open to the city rather than any single group.

That sums up my view on it too.
    I think it suits the council to have it let to someone they could easily take it back from should it suddenly become valuable...wouldnt be as easy for them to pull a public park.

Marty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

As far as I know the land is protected. It has to be used for recreational use and cannot be developed on. Attempts have been made in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Jofspring wrote: »
    As far as I know the land is protected. It has to be used for recreational use and cannot be developed on. Attempts have been made in the past.

Well that is good to know.. pity alright with its prime location its not getting more use from a wider audience.

Advertisement