Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spayed female and un-neutered male cat

• 17-03-2016 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have a male cat (Oscar) who is 10 months old. He is a very gentle tabby cat. He has not been neutered yet. Oscar loves being cuddled and has never shown aggressive behaviour.

His mother (Tiger) is almost 2 years old. We had her spayed last summer. She is now a very 'grumpy' cat. It seems she can only tolerate people for a certain length e.g. I could be rubbing her and after a few minutes she would bite me. When Tiger is not hunting she prefers to be left alone.

Both cats have lived with my family all their lives. They are outdoors. For the first few months of Oscar's life they had a strong bond but Tiger lost interest in her son. But both cats have always lived alongside each other peacefully.

Tiger seems to resent Oscar lately. They are both fed alongside each other and when I turn my back Tiger often swats at Oscar who seems to be afraid of her. Also if Oscar tries to sit in one of Tiger's perches she swats at him. I could forgive this behaviour as no noteable harm is done but the last few weeks Oscar has been turning up with a limp and cuts.

I assumed he was fighting with a male cat and planned on neutering him asap but my mother caught Tiger attacking Oscar last night. Oscar has a very bad limp, his fur has been pulled out in places and he has a few bloody patches. So now it is obvious it was Tiger who has been attacking Oscar.

I was wondering if this is common behaviour between spayed females and un-neutered male cats? They live outdoors so they can't be watched at all times. Is there any way to stop the fighting?

I am considering rehoming the female cat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Get him neutered. He is likely getting hormonal & annoying his mother. He needs to get the message to leave her alone & give her space. Pretty soon it won't be his mother attacking him that you will have to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Eve.power01

Knine wrote: »
    He is likely getting hormonal & annoying his mother.

Would he be interested in her when she's neutered? I thought it was all about the scent they give off or something similar. But I will get him neutered asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Eve.power01

Knine wrote: »
    Pretty soon it won't be his mother attacking him that you will have to worry about.

How do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

How do you mean?

Of course I mean he will be off wandering, fathering more unfortunate unwanted feral cats & fighting other Toms. That is if he does not get hit by a car while wandering or killed/seriously injured by another animal or Tom Cat.

Mostly likely he wants his mother out of the way as he will be wanting to be chasing entire females & his mother will chase those away

Advertisement