Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York / Boston / San Francisco

Options
  • 17-03-2016 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi all,

Looking to spend a couple of weeks in the state in September.

I'm thinking along the lines of 4 days New York then 3/4 days in Boston followed by 5/6 days in San Francisco.

I'm tempted to book this myself rather than go through a travel agent, but as I've never been to the States I'm a little apprehensive and could use some advice and tips.

I figure the sensible route is Dublin -> New York -> Boston (rail / air) -> San Francisco (air) -> Dublin. As I think hitting NY first would be best as I'll have more energy at the start of the trip than at the end. Does this route make sense, if so which is the better option to go from NY to Boston air or rail?

Now for the big open question: Can anybody recommend good hotels and things to do in each of these locations, especially hotels in NY. Not looking for top class accommodation, 3* is fine, but looking for good value places that are close to the tourist attractions, the little gems people have discovered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Don't spend as long I'm San Fran I'd say. Either more time on the east coast or spilt the San Fran time in two to visit Yosemite or Big Sur or something.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I can't help with accommodation recommendations, but I got the Megabus from NY to Boston last summer and it was very cheap and convenient.

Took about 5 hours I think. Had wifi also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

5/6 days in SF without a car is a lot. The City itself is pretty small. With a car however there's a lot to see within a days drive of SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Mundane wrote: »
    Boston (rail / air) -> San Francisco

I love taking long train trips.

I've never done that route, you'd need to get from Boston to Chicago, and then switch to Chicago to SF.

Cabins are expensive but you save on hotels and meals are free. And you'll see parts of the country you'd never experience otherwise.

https://www.amtrak.com/find-train-bus-stations-train-routes

Advertisement