Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Paid on Time

Options
  • 17-03-2016 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Due to St. Patricks day today we did not get paid on time. We are paid fortnightly but on of my colleagues was told that we would be paid as normal this Thursday. Now there was no warning of this that we were not going to be paid/we may not be paid. What are my rights or is it legal without warning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Contact HR ask for clarification and a resolution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

legal rights ?

Chill..it will be in the bank in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Contact HR ask for clarification and a resolution?

I did, they said it was sent out to the banks on Tuesday and should be in by tomorrow or Monday. Should we have got a warning though?
    Howjoe1 wrote: »
    legal rights ?

Chill..it will be in the bank in the morning.

That might be the case but I've hospital bills that need to be paid today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

I did, they said it was sent out to the banks on Tuesday and should be in by tomorrow or Monday. Should we have got a warning though?

Unusual that a hospital bill can't wait another day.

My g/f & I get paid on a Thursday normally. Her's was in the bank Wed mine wasn't so I presume I get it Friday. I'm just treating it as a Paddy's day I spent less. Would have been annoying if mortgage was due.

But Legal action seems OTT. Sometimes the Banks mess up with SEPA DDs when they have a non regularly EU Bank Hol.

Annoying i know, but not the end of the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Yeah - the warning is in every calendar. Its called st patrick's day. A bank holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Absolute bull. Stop searching for excuses. If you don't like where you work, hand in your notice and allow someone who really wants the job to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Why is it whenever something like this happens and somebody wants to complain it's always a hospital/doctor bill or appointment
    I used to work in a call centre and the amount of this I used to get was unbelievable.......

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Good to see the friendly boardsies out today. As a matter of fact I do like my job. Was just enquiring was there any way I could get my money today as I've to pay the hospital. Enjoy yer Paddys day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Good to see the friendly boardsies out today. As a matter of fact I do like my job. Was just enquiring was there any way I could get my money today as I've to pay the hospital. Enjoy yer Paddys day!

Are hospital accounts department not closed on a bank holiday aswell genuine question

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If the excuse was believable, it might help his case here.
    Would have been very unhappy and sympathetic at how people were affected by the Ulster Bank debacle but in this case WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

hospital bills to be paid on bank holiday? just admit you've no money for booze and stop with lame excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, if you are in such dire straights that your pay being delayed by one day is a major financial issue for you, then God help you if you ever get really sick. If you do, it may take several months for welfare payments to start. You need to have enough savings at hand to pay your living expenses for some weeks: in this country, I think 3 months is required. (less overseas where the welfare systems are more efficient).

Maybe treat this as a wake-up call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

So the credit controller of this "hospital" works bank holidays then? Sure they do...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

if the money didnt go in speak to your payroll team,

if there is an issue other than its being a bank holiday in which case the hospital wont be dealing with payments either because they will also be closed you are fine. if not the money will be there Friday.

only way to address is it to chat to your payroll team, or ring the bank to see if there is anything pending.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

On a similar point, I'm well aware Good Friday (my payday this month) isn't a bank holiday but will I be paid the Thursday? Or is there a possibility I'll even have to wait until the following Tuesday or am I panicking and the money will be there Friday morning.

thelad95 wrote: »
    On a similar point, I'm well aware Good Friday (my payday this month) isn't a bank holiday but will I be paid the Thursday? Or is there a possibility I'll even have to wait until the following Tuesday or am I panicking and the money will be there Friday morning.

I think GF is a bank holiday - it's just not a public holiday.

Ask your payroll department if they are arranging for the payroll to be paid early this month.

For instance, in my place, we get paid on a fixed date each month - 25 th of the month. If the 25th falls on a weekend, then the payroll hits our accounts on the previous Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I think GF is a bank holiday - it's just not a public holiday.

Ask your payroll department if they are arranging for the payroll to be paid early this month.

For instance, in my place, we get paid on a fixed date each month - 25 th of the month. If the 25th falls on a weekend, then the payroll hits our accounts on the previous Friday.

The way it's phrased in my contract is ''the last working day before the 28th of each month'' so I have a feeling it will be Thursday the 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Due to St. Patricks day today we did not get paid on time. We are paid fortnightly but on of my colleagues was told that we would be paid as normal this Thursday. Now there was no warning of this that we were not going to be paid/we may not be paid. What are my rights or is it legal without warning?

Your employer should have taken steps to ensure you were paid on Wednesday instead of Thursday. I don't think paying you on Friday or Monday is good enough if you're always paid on Thursdays.

• Advertisement

thelad95 wrote: »
    The way it's phrased in my contract is ''the last working day before the 28th of each month'' so I have a feeling it will be Thursday the 24th.

Sounds right

Advertisement