Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social welfare claimant. Buying a house

Options
  • 17-03-2016 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

A friend of mine has been on social welfare for over 10 years although she's been working here and there on x/os while she hasn't been pregnant a few times. She's 3 kids and will be coming into money soon and is considering buying a shell of a house that's for sale near to her. The house is going for 30k and she might be able to buy this outright when her money comes through and she's wondering is there any loans out there for people on SW for finishing the house. She's thinking maybe if she buy this, takes out a 15k loan then she'll lessen the burden for the state paying rent allowance for her and she'll also own her own home instead of renting rest of her life.

Someone mentioned a council mortgage but TBH, she's never heard of such a thing before and is sceptical they even exist and if they did, would one have to be working to avail of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Not to say I know for an absolute fact, but knock me over with a feather if there is a bank out there willing to lend €15k to someone on welfare.

Pretty sure the state have enough worries without coming up with loan schemes like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Is getting a paying job not a possibility for her?

She's get a loan much easier with regular funds. Any institution would be mad to give out that kind of loan without some sort of income.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

If she owned the house straight out couldn't she get a secured loan of €15k on the strength of the house as collateral? Just like a mortgage, not sure if such a small amount can be obtained through this method though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Won't whatever dividend she's receiving nuke her dole anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Thought there was a scheme of joint ownership with the local authority.
    That might be worth investigating. you own one part and rent the other part from the LA. Check with housing section of LA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,688 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

ED E wrote: »

Not if she uses it straight away to buy a house to live in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Water John wrote: »
    Thought there was a scheme of joint ownership with the local authority.
    That might be worth investigating. you own one part and rent the other part from the LA. Check with housing section of LA.

The property has to be habitable, and of minimum standards- you can't just buy a shell of a house as a doer-upper- and imagine the council will step in and buy half it off you........

Not if she uses it straight away to buy a house to live in.

However- it has to be a habitable....... the OP has stated the house that they are talking about, is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Water John

May be a bit of thinking outside the box, would make it habitable.
    Friends, charity shops, St Vincent De Paul.
    It depends how far off it is.
    I admire the person for striving to better themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Go to your local Credit Union - they'll hold the deeds as security

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Go to your local Credit Union - they'll hold the deeds as security

I could be wrong but I heard that a credit union will never use your house as any type of security/collateral?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

m'lady wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I heard that a credit union will never use your house as any type of security/collateral?

Not true of my local credit union. €15k is less than some car loans, they will have no problem lending it but the interest rates are high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Not true of my local credit union. €15k is less than some car loans, they will have no problem lending it but the interest rates are high.

They probably all differ, as I said I was told they'd never use your home as collateral, but will offer a secured loan (based on your savings) where the interest is relatively low..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I'll state the obvious here.

Shell of a house + 15k will not make it habitable.

She will need substantially more than that to make this a runner if the house is indeed a shell.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭soccercrew

PaulKK wrote: »
    I'll state the obvious here.

Shell of a house + 15k will not make it habitable.

She will need substantially more than that to make this a runner if the house is indeed a shell.

3 bed semi-d. Next door was bought for 31k and builder finished inside for 20k.The shell is plastered and painted outside and has all external doors/windows. This girls boyfriend is a handyman/small builder and should finish it for 15k or less. Her brother is a plumber. Cousins are plasterers and her father is a carpenter. She will certainly finish this house for 15k or less ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Where did she get 15k from while on the dole if ya doing mind me asking?

I'm working and can't save 200 a month without giving something up. And I don't drink or smoke.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Is getting a paying job not a possibility for her?

She's get a loan much easier with regular funds. Any institution would be mad to give out that kind of loan without some sort of income.

Single parent but willing to work but not much about for now

ED E wrote: »

I think there's a limit to savings one is aloud to have while on welfare. I think its something like 24k or there about and for every 10k over that, you lose a tener of your dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

RossieMan wrote: »
    Where did she get 15k from while on the dole if ya doing mind me asking?

I'm working and can't save 200 a month without giving something up. And I don't drink or smoke.

That answers itself, you're not on the dole. I'm not saying everyone on the dole is cleaning up, but there are some who need it to make ends meet, and Ive seen some turn up in new cars?
    soccercrew wrote: »
    A friend of mine has been on social welfare for over 10 years although she's been working here and there on x/os while she hasn't been pregnant a few times. She's 3 kids and will be coming into money soon and is considering buying a shell of a house that's for sale near to her. The house is going for 30k and she might be able to buy this outright when her money comes through and she's wondering is there any loans out there for people on SW for finishing the house. She's thinking maybe if she buy this, takes out a 15k loan then she'll lessen the burden for the state paying rent allowance for her and she'll also own her own home instead of renting rest of her life.

Someone mentioned a council mortgage but TBH, she's never heard of such a thing before and is sceptical they even exist and if they did, would one have to be working to avail of it.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if shes on the dole, how is she working?
    and whats x/os?

goz83 wrote: »
    Does your "friend" mind you coming on here telling the internet her business? Wouldn't take much to match up a property prices for 3 bed ghost estate shells selling around 30k and then matching up a single mum if three with a carpenter daddy and plumber brother who is coming into some cash.

Yes, she asked me to see if I could find out anything on the internet.

It ain't no ghost estate as such. The estate is finished and the end 5 houses just need sold. Nice quite area in very small town only 9 mins away from the capital of the county.

<mod snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

cerastes wrote: »
    That answers itself, you're not on the dole. I'm not saying everyone on the dole is cleaning up, but there are some who need it to make ends meet, and Ive seen some turn up in new cars?

and whats x/os?

It's casual working, where the regularity and payment of your work is very low, Social Welfare cover the shortfall. Xs and Os refers to the docket you fill out, where you mark what days you worked/did not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Yes, she asked me to see if I could find out anything on the internet.

It ain't no ghost estate as such. The estate is finished and the end 5 houses just need sold. Nice quite area in very small town only 9 mins away from the capital of the county.

As for your post, are you drunk because its hard to understand!

It makes perfect sense. As in you have issue with people asking where she got her lump sum from, but you seem to have no issue giving out more than enough information for someone to identify your friend.

cerastes wrote: »

and whats x/os?

She's not working! She has worked before but now she's 3 kids and one is a young baby so can't Work. X/os is working but you've to fill in your hours for the dole because its not full time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A car they'll have a chance to reprocess if payments aren't made. It'll cost more than 15k to reprocess a house so I doubt a loan would be given with deeds being used for collateral. If they were working then an unsecured loan might be offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

3 bed semi-d. Next door was bought for 31k and builder finished inside for 20k.The shell is plastered and painted outside and has all external doors/windows. This girls boyfriend is a handyman/small builder and should finish it for 15k or less. Her brother is a plumber. Cousins are plasterers and her father is a carpenter. She will certainly finish this house for 15k or less ;)

Is it bare blockwork internally and lacking all plumbing, electrics, insulation etc?
    If so, you are dreaming even if all labour was 100 percent free.
    On the other hand, if it's to a stage where it's skimmed and rads are plumbed and working and power is on, you might have a chance.
    Recently spent 12k getting a finished 5 bed house ready to rent. That covered budget carpets. Decent bathroom tiles, 3k kitchen plus white goods. and budget new furniture. That house was a finished house with doors and skirting installed and all toilets installed and working, heat on, power on etc.

mickdw wrote: »
    Is it bare blockwork internally and lacking all plumbing, electrics, insulation etc?
    If so, you are dreaming even if all labour was 100 percent free.
    On the other hand, if it's to a stage where it's skimmed and rads are plumbed and working and power is on, you might have a chance.
    Recently spent 12k getting a finished 5 bed house ready to rent. That covered budget carpets. Decent bathroom tiles, 3k kitchen plus white goods. and budget new furniture. That house was a finished house with doors and skirting installed and all toilets installed and working, heat on, power on etc.

Next door was plastered out, plumbing, painted, 2nd hand kitchen, free bathroom suite, lino, doors,skirting, stairs carpeted,laminated flooring in living room. No insulation in attic but the house owner will be upgrading this himself when he can afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Single parent but willing to work but not much about for now

She's not a single parent so. And if she is (caught) co-habiting with the boyfriend in the new house, she will lose some of her entitlements. Not that it particularly bothers me, but she should be aware of this.

pablo128 wrote: »
    She's not a single parent so. And if she is (caught) co-habiting with the boyfriend in the new house, she will lose some of her entitlements. Not that it particularly bothers me, but she should be aware of this.

What you talking about cohabiting? Who even mentioned that!

How is someone not a single parent if they have a boyfriend? You've confused me or rather your confused. I know plenty of people who have boyfriends and girlfriends who live separately and have kids. Just because someone is dating and has kids doesn't mean they are shacked up together. I think you've had to much of the black stuff today.

This internet is some craic I tell ya. Someone comes here looking advice to better ones situation legally. Also wants to take the strain of the tax payer and here we now have her cohabiting and losing her entitlements Lol. Crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Word of warning, stay clear of builders who will promise things too cheap, for instance, a plaster that goes from not knowing how to skim to setting up their own plastering business within 11 months ;)

• Advertisement

Guys- I've just deleted a whopping 18 posts in this thread.
    Please read the forum's charter- *and abide by it*.
    If you disagree with what another poster posts- either refute it factually or report it so the moderators can take appropriate action. The amount of back seat moderating, back seat stabbing, random mischief making, trolling, uncivil behaviour- and bad manners displayed in this thread- are simply breath taking.

I'm leaving this thread open for now- but abide by the forum's charter- or suffer the consequences.

I've issued 2 infractions alongside warnings- to various people here- if you weren't one of them- its not a get-out-of-jail-free card- this is a warning to cop the hell on.

Advertisement