Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social welfare claimant. Buying a house

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

Getting a loan of that amount from anywhere when she has no job will involve steep repayments and if she's relying on SW benefits then she could find herself in trouble pretty quickly
    I would agree with others that suggested that she would be better of if a family member could loan it to her or even borrow it for her to pay back.
    A proper legal contract should be drawn up though to protect both borrower and lender
    Surely the grandparents of her children are interested in a permanent roof over their grandkids heads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

The only options I see here is family stepping in or a CU loan. In order to get a CU loan she would need a savings record with them and savings to leverage against the loan. Is the house habitable at all, could she move in and do it up bit by bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Does she have money for property tax and maintenance cost? If washing machine breaks it will be her who will have to pay. 15k isn't much to finish the house. Also is cost of sale budgeted for? Legal fees , surveyor etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Villa05

Not to say I know for an absolute fact, but knock me over with a feather if there is a bank out there willing to lend €15k to someone on welfare.

<MOD SNIP >
    I know of a person that got 130k for a mortgage in the early noughties who was on social. The funny thing is that the loan is up to date and performing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

She could also try her local county council - they lend to people on low incomes, they also do renovation loans, normally to upgrade older homes with new windows, insulation, doors, etc. She might also qualify for grants as she's on a low income. I know SEI do an insulation grant, for walls and attic; I've heard of a grant for windows as well, might be county council, but she'll need to google it. Its very doable if she does her homework and sees what's available. Good luck, wish I had that opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Water John

123, the LA is the road to go. Really, every help and encouragement should be afforded, to anyone seeking to improve their lot. I accept the need to be realistic, but posts here sticking negative obstacles in the way, contributes nothing.
    If you have a good elected councillor, they could steer you in the right direction. They are often very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Credit Union will give you a loan, go in and talk to them. By the way it's very possible to buy a shell of a house for 30k and do it up. I bought a house for 31.5 and I put 20k into it and was able to sell it for 90k two years ago as a deposit for a bigger place. I wasn't on the dole but needed off the rental market.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Water John wrote: »
    123, the LA is the road to go. Really, every help and encouragement should be afforded, to anyone seeking to improve their lot. I accept the need to be realistic, but posts here sticking negative obstacles in the way, contributes nothing.
    If you have a good elected councillor, they could steer you in the right direction. They are often very helpful.

That is nonsense. It's trying to be realistic. It is not just getting a loan, it's being able to pay off loan and have the money for all necessary maintenance and cost that comes with owning a house. If washing machine breaks it's another 300+ on top of I would guess 300+ monthly loan repayment. (i doubt loan term she could get would be much more than five years). On social welfare that is a lot. I know current rental market is insane but owning a house can get people in a lot of financial hardship.

And btw we built our house, 15k doesn't stretch far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Not if she uses it straight away to buy a house to live in.

Really? Do you have any reference for this information?

When is straight away? It can take several months to buy a property.

20K allowance for savings on JA, but only 5K on rent allowance before payments are affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

soccercrew wrote: »
    A friend of mine has been on social welfare for over 10 years although she's been working here and there on x/os while she hasn't been pregnant a few times. She's 3 kids and will be coming into money soon and is considering buying a shell of a house that's for sale near to her. The house is going for 30k and she might be able to buy this outright when her money comes through and she's wondering is there any loans out there for people on SW for finishing the house. She's thinking maybe if she buy this, takes out a 15k loan then she'll lessen the burden for the state paying rent allowance for her and she'll also own her own home instead of renting rest of her life.

Someone mentioned a council mortgage but TBH, she's never heard of such a thing before and is sceptical they even exist and if they did, would one have to be working to avail of it.

Your friend needs to plan and research this very carefully if she is going to do it. Personally having done something similar with a house last year I don't think it can be done on the budget you have mentioned. My plumbing alone cost me 15k although I would imagine it was a bigger house. The last thing your friend needs is to spend 45k on a house that is not habitable and have all of her money plus the money she borrows and needs to make repayments on tied up in something that she can't live in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Average time to buy a house is 2 months,
    she can save money .
    buy some materials on adverts.ie ,
    or in macs warehouse dublin.
    50 per cent off normal retail price.
    http://www.macswarehouse.ie/
    eg i get pvc doors and windows on adverts ie,
    eg 1 door and frame 8x5ft approx pvc 150euro,.
    as new condition,never used .
    they sell new unused doors, pvc windows in macs warehouse ,
    i presume its older stock from builders or shops that closed down.
    people on welfare are allowed to work 2days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

riclad wrote: »
    Average time to buy a house is 2 months,
    she can save money .
    buy some materials on adverts.ie ,
    or in macs warehouse dublin.
    50 per cent off normal retail price.
    http://www.macswarehouse.ie/
    eg i get pvc doors and windows on adverts ie,
    eg 1 door and frame 8x5ft approx pvc 150euro,.
    as new condition,never used .
    they sell new unused doors, pvc windows in macs warehouse ,
    i presume its older stock from builders or shops that closed down.
    people on welfare are allowed to work 2days a week.

People on Welfare can work three days a week and will only get paid by JA for the three days they don't work. Sundays are free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Nomis21 wrote: »
    People on Welfare can work three days a week and will only get paid by JA for the three days they don't work. Sundays are free.

As far as I know that Sunday rule was got rid of a good while ago.. I could be corrected though.

aido79 wrote: »
    Your friend needs to plan and research this very carefully if she is going to do it. Personally having done something similar with a house last year I don't think it can be done on the budget you have mentioned. My plumbing alone cost me 15k although I would imagine it was a bigger house. The last thing your friend needs is to spend 45k on a house that is not habitable and have all of her money plus the money she borrows and needs to make repayments on tied up in something that she can't live in.

If she has family members to do the work for free it will make a massive difference. They will also be able to gather up bits and pieces from other places they work for the different trades. Pipes and brackets, off cuts, joints etc for plumbing. Electrical bits and pieces for electrical work. furniture, kitchens etc can be bought second hand for small enough money. You never know a carpenter in the family fitting a new kitchen for someone could be told to take away the old one for free or anything which she could use.

It wont be a luxury home but you will put together something liveable for a lot less than you would think if the labour is free and you have people in the trade sourcing stuff. It might not be the short cuts or way you or I would want a place done but it is doable.

If she has family members to do the work for free it will make a massive difference. They will also be able to gather up bits and pieces from other places they work for the different trades. Pipes and brackets, off cuts, joints etc for plumbing. Electrical bits and pieces for electrical work. furniture, kitchens etc can be bought second hand for small enough money. You never know a carpenter in the family fitting a new kitchen for someone could be told to take away the old one for free or anything which she could use.

It wont be a luxury home but you will put together something liveable for a lot less than you would think if the labour is free and you have people in the trade sourcing stuff. It might not be the short cuts or way you or I would want a place done but it is doable.

I like your optimism but have you ever been involved in anything like this or have any experience in the construction/finishing of a house? Building materials are quite expensive and it would be very difficult to just pick up enough material to finish the house. Furniture and stuff like that really are the least of her worries. The carpentry work won't be a problem but the electrics and plumbing need to be done by properly qualified people who may not want to do this work for half nothing. I had family members and friends working on my house too and I definitely got some surprises with costs along the way that I wasn't expecting.
    Also depending on when the house was built there may be a need to incorporate some sort of renewable energy such as solar or geothermal energy to satisfy building regulations.

aido79 wrote: »
    I like your optimism but have you ever been involved in anything like this or have any experience in the construction/finishing of a house? Building materials are quite expensive and it would be very difficult to just pick up enough material to finish the house. Furniture and stuff like that really are the least of her worries. The carpentry work won't be a problem but the electrics and plumbing need to be done by properly qualified people who may not want to do this work for half nothing. I had family members and friends working on my house too and I definitely got some surprises with costs along the way that I wasn't expecting.
    Also depending on when the house was built there may be a need to incorporate some sort of renewable energy such as solar or geothermal energy to satisfy building regulations.

Worked for a builder for years during college mostly getting materials from the hardware and delivering to sites (not small vans of stuff either tractor and full lowloader a lot of the time) so I know the costs and they are high but if you have it down to bare essentials and have siblings who will work for free in the evenings etc (who lets be honest will do it for free for someone who can't afford it) you could get a lot done for 15k.

It really depends on what is done already I will admit that but the suggestion appears to be that its not a builders finish but that there is some work done on wiring, plumbing etc.

It might not be the short cuts you or I would want to take but for some they will be willing to have a mismatch of stuff in order to keep costs down.

Worked for a builder for years during college mostly getting materials from the hardware and delivering to sites (not small vans of stuff either tractor and full lowloader a lot of the time) so I know the costs and they are high but if you have it down to bare essentials and have siblings who will work for free in the evenings etc (who lets be honest will do it for free for someone who can't afford it) you could get a lot done for 15k.

It really depends on what is done already I will admit that but the suggestion appears to be that its not a builders finish but that there is some work done on wiring, plumbing etc.

It might not be the short cuts you or I would want to take but for some they will be willing to have a mismatch of stuff in order to keep costs down.

The house is a shell. The OP said it has been plastered and painted on the outside. To me a shell means bare walls on the inside so no electrical or plumbing even started apart from the possibility of some pipes installed in the floor for radiators. All of this work will need to be done as well as plastering/slabbing and painting and doors installed just to get the house to the most basic of standards.
    As I have already said I have recently finished a house that was at this stage when I bought it and she will be calling in an enormous amount of favours to get it finished for 15k including legal and other fees such as architects etc.

Advertisement