Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build win7 fails to install

Options
  • 17-03-2016 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm hitting a brick wall trying troninstall win 7pro on my new build,

Specs are
    i5 3550
    Asrock q77m vpro
    Gt740
    Intel 240gb ssd
    WD blue 1tb
    16gb Kingston fury,
    Corsair vs650

I get to the checking screen in the windows 7 installer and it fails for missing device driver,

Tried a ISO boot disc and no joy

I have disconnected the DVD drive and the HDD so there is no conflicts,

I've tried a USB boot disc and no joy I've tried all the tips I could find as this seems to be a very common issue and none work,

I don't know what to try next would this system be OK on windows 10??

Have about 10 hours into this now and im really annoyed with it,

Please help

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Have you tried a new ISO, that's normally my first port of call. A different USB or in a different port can help too.

System is 110% for Windows 10.

Not much of a new build, and certainly not for gaming, hope you didn't get stung OP!

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

What's wrong the specs of my build ????

No games here BTW
    Have you tried a new ISO, that's normally my first port of call. A different USB or in a different port can help too.

System is 110% for Windows 10.

Not much of a new build, and certainly not for gaming, hope you didn't get stung OP!

Best of luck with it

Nothing wrong with it, it's a powerful PC, just not a new one is all mentioned it just incase you got mislead, I wasn't trying to crap on it

Ok I know it's old I was given a new old stock processor for free so I was limited on what I could build,

It doesn't list my motherboard as compatible with w10 how can I know it will work, as I believe w10 doesn't have this installation problem I'm having with 7,

Thanks

Nothing wrong with it, it's a powerful PC, just not a new one is all mentioned it just incase you got mislead, I wasn't trying to crap on it

Its a relatively new chipset, did be very surprised of any compatibility issues with your motherboard. I've never actually heard of a motherboard having to be compatible with an OS.

You can use W10 for 90 days without a licence, so it's worth a shot anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

Burn another disc with same ISO and try.
    As your motherboard is new, Windows7 install disc might not have correct drivers for your hardware.
    In my case Windows7 could not install drivers for inbuilt wifi.

Also might need motherboard hardware drivers so that windows7 can see the HDD.
    Linky : http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Q77M%20vPro/?cat=Download

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

That was a great little 'feature not a bug' in Win7 that never got fixed.

Try another disc if that doesn't work go with Win10.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Check the bios settings and ensure legacy mode is turned on for UEFI and that secure boot is off as i have had issue installing windows without doing this on early versions of windows 7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

You can use W10 for 90 days without a licence, so it's worth a shot anyways

That seems to be a soft target they've set. A workmate I built for last October still hasn't activated his W10 install and he says the only bad thing is the translucent watermark in the corner, everything else still works. They might be waiting for higher adoption before starting a nagfest though

grindle wrote: »
    That seems to be a soft target they've set. A workmate I built for last October still hasn't activated his W10 install and he says the only bad thing is the translucent watermark in the corner, everything else still works. They might be waiting for higher adoption before starting a nagfest though

Yeah my mother's in the same boat, it's supposed to be 90 days though so I'm not spreading info that íts free or whatever

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies I built a new boot USB using a new ISO and the windows boot utility, and it worked,

Next problem is in all the messing I did in the BIOS it has the ssd set for ide and not AHCI so that's the next thing to fix, then I need to get the 1tb HDD to show in my computer,

So far it's working well boots in a couple of seconds it so much faster that my old system which had a fairly top spec quad core P4 but was 32bit

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You really want to get AHCI enabled again, this involves a regedit and then a bios change before booting again, to make real use of the SSD.

All sorted now hope fully,

ED E wrote: »
    You really want to get AHCI enabled again, this involves a regedit and then a bios change before booting again, to make real use of the SSD.

Advertisement