Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Garda Drink Driving Advert on RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

onform wrote: »
    Hope the Guard gave him an Irish language printout of the intoxylser result,or else he's off the hook...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/drinkdrive-cases-adjourned-after-irishlanguage-legal-claim-31106384.html

I love the very 'technical' breathalyser the gard uses, does it really just have the word 'FAIL' on the LCD screen when you er .... fail? - dont it show anything like figure mg of alcohol in the blood or anything techie like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Its a good ad, no sensationalist tripe or scenarios but the sobering process of only being able to use public transport in ireland. The ultimate punisment in irish society

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Rothmans wrote: »
    :confused: I think you'll find you're not! From the link

And the UK link

Have you used a breathalyzer machine before?

I've a Garda issued Draeger 6510 (the exact one shown in the advert), and readings over 50mg are a fail here.

That's what they're quoting in the advert (63mg and 64mg), or do you actually believe he's supposed to be over three times in the limit?

You're mistaking that the machines read in microgrammes, when they actually read in milligrammes.

Hope that clears that up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

daRobot wrote: »
    Have you used a breathalyzer machine before?

I've a Garda issued Draeger 6510 (the exact one shown in the advert), and readings over 50mg are a fail here.

That's what they're quoting in the advert (63mg and 64mg), or do you actually believe he's supposed to be over three times in the limit?

You're mistaking that the machines read in microgrammes, when they actually read in milligrammes.

No. Readings over 22 microgrammes are a fail. Not 50 mg. You appear to be getting mixed up between the limit for bloods and breath. And the readings that are quoted, the 61 and 64 come from the Evidenzer, not the Drager, which are designed to measure the concentration of alcohol on the breath, with the limit being 22 microgrammes /100 ml of breath. This machine measures the concentration of breath in microgrammes, not milligrammes. The 50mg limit does not apply, as this machine obviously cannot measure the concentration of alcohol in his blood.

EDIT: And if you don't believe me, here are a few articles which state that the measurement is taken in microgrammes:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/breath-test-results-must-be-in-both-english-and-irish-judge-rules-1.2360106

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/humaninterest/driving-after-a-few-drinks-men-versus-women-226368.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/columnists/victoria-white/the-official-languages-act-will-only-serve-to-kill-the-language-itself-355571.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Why didn't he feign a heart attack?

• Advertisement

Ad actually sent shivers down my spine.

Looking at yer man driving at the start and realising that that was me about 2 years ago. I'd say i was actually at it more than yer man in the ad.

And trust me when I tell you, although I've changed my tune since then, I was awake at night almost in tears over it back then. Heed my advice: Never, ever, drive a 407. Sure, they're good looking and comfortable. But they're horrible bastards when they go wrong. No wonder the Garda pulled him.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Its a good ad, no sensationalist tripe or scenarios but the sobering process of only being able to use public transport in ireland. The ultimate punisment in irish society

I live in Rural ireland - tranquil it is .... but if I had to endure a life of Public Transport I would seriously think of jacking it all in and moving up to dublin or somewhere , the Busses (frequency) and trains (frequency) are sh!te here, in fact I dunno how people use public transport at all

Why didn't he feign a heart attack?

He does have one obvious defence, the Garda administering the test wasn't wearing his hat. It is an absolute defence, I read it in the second example in this legal treatise...

http://viz.co.uk/man-pub/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Rothmans wrote: »
    No. Readings over 22 microgrammes are a fail. Not 50 mg. You appear to be getting mixed up between the limit for bloods and breath. And the readings that are quoted, the 61 and 64 come from the Evidenzer, not the Drager, which are designed to measure the concentration of alcohol on the breath, with the limit being 22 microgrammes /100 ml of breath. This machine measures the concentration of breath in microgrammes, not milligrammes. The 50mg limit does not apply, as this machine obviously cannot measure the concentration of alcohol in his blood.

EDIT: And if you don't believe me, here are a few articles which state that the measurement is taken in microgrammes:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/breath-test-results-must-be-in-both-english-and-irish-judge-rules-1.2360106

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/humaninterest/driving-after-a-few-drinks-men-versus-women-226368.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/columnists/victoria-white/the-official-languages-act-will-only-serve-to-kill-the-language-itself-355571.html

Fair enough, you're absolutely correct on that. I was working on the assumption that both machines measure the same way, when it ain't so.

Thanks for clearing it up ;)

But all the same, the actor doesn't appear to be someone over three times the limit. I've been on some seriously heavy nights, and it takes a good lot to even be over by a little on the machine. Then again, that's reading at 2pm onwards, not 8.30am!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sad story chap I used to work with moved to somewhere in Portlaise shiny new gaff on the outskirts in some ghost town (lovely house in fairness). He was a contracted van driver as in bought a route from a courier and serviced it for about 100k a year. Went to a football match in Dublin one friday evening and drove home after a few pints, busted and got whatever penalty points licence thing that happens. Killed himself the morning after the conviction.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Sad story chap I used to work with moved to somewhere in Portlaise shiny new gaff on the outskirts in some ghost town (lovely house in fairness). He was a contracted van driver as in bought a route from a courier and serviced it for about 100k a year. Went to a football match in Dublin one friday evening and drove home after a few pints, busted and got whatever penalty points licence thing that happens. Killed himself the morning after the conviction.

Jesus. Christ.

God love him. Hope he didn't leave family, that would be a serious loss of perspective. We all screw up.

daRobot wrote: »
    Fair enough, you're absolutely correct on that. I was working on the assumption that both machines measure the same way, when it ain't so.

Thanks for clearing it up ;)

But all the same, the actor doesn't appear to be someone over three times the limit. I've been on some seriously heavy nights, and it takes a good lot to even be over by a little on the machine. Then again, that's reading at 2pm onwards, not 8.30am!

I understand what you're saying alright, and it does seem high. He must have been on an absolute bender the night before :D I never drink the night before if I'm working in the morning myself, because I'd be terrified of being over the limit! I also heard that your body processes alcohol slower when your sleeping also. How much truth there is t that I don't know, but it's something I always bear in mind aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Jesus. Christ.

God love him. Hope he didn't leave family, that would be a serious loss of perspective. We all screw up.

He left a wife and 2 small kids, from his point of view he had ended the main source of income via his own stupidity. In his opinion it was the only option.

Afaik they moved back to her parents and sold the house.

so how can you drink the night before but be sure your ok to drive next day? what about drinking a couple of pints of water before going to bed or isnt there anything on the market that can neutralize it before morning whilst you sleep? - as u can most probably guess i am not a big drinker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

so how can you drink the night before but be sure your ok to drive next day? what about drinking a couple of pints of water before going to bed or isnt there anything on the market that can neutralize it before morning whilst you sleep? - as u can most probably guess i am not a big drinker

Drinking water will help keep a hangover at bay, but won't make your liver process alcohol any quicker. It processes on average one unit of alcohol per hour - any remedies that claim to speed that up will probably just be old wives tales.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    He left a wife and 2 small kids, from his point of view he had ended the main source of income via his own stupidity. In his opinion it was the only option.

Afaik they moved back to her parents and sold the house.

God love him. And them. That's one desperate story. I'd have less sympathy if you said he was bagged after an accident, but again I was part of the generation that all had a few pints and sat into a car. Have even had drink and drugs and chanced it back in the day when you just had to wait till the Gardai went off duty at 4am and then anything was possible. In my case would drive home at about 10mph. Wouldn't dream of it now, the foolishness of youth, have a kid so that bit more responsible etc. etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

What happens if you don't blow into the breathalyzer ?

Due to a lung condition that I have I could legitimately claim that I would not be able to blow into a breathalyzer if I was stopped by the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Simon2015 wrote: »

Due to a lung condition that I have I could legitimately claim that I would not be able to blow into a breathalyzer if I was stopped by the gardai.

AFAIK if you refuse to give a breath sample they can take you to the station and make you give a urine or blood sample. If you refuse that you can be prosecuted for it.

Simon2015 wrote: »

You are expected to inform the Gardai and give them the option of performing other roadside tests, or else in the station they can take a urine same or call a doctor to take a blood sample.

If you don't inform them of a medical reason, expect it to be discounted in any subsequent hearing. The onus is on the driver to tell the Gardai of any reason why a sample can't be provided, and think that is the same for either roadside sobriety tests or formal tests in the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Anyone know what street they're on at 0:07?

• Advertisement

Garda in the Advert is a bit lax at the beginning, "Ah sure you were driving in the bus lane" oh was I?, didnt realise - "ah sure your grand so" -

old on a moment - is that cop at the begining that fella who is in Fair City at the moment who's back from Birmingham. used to own the bar? - but without the beard? ... or is it a real Garda ? - whoever it is cant act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Archeron wrote: »
    The guard says to him you are being charged on this date at navan road station, but at the end of the ad he walks out of Pearse St. It's a good ad though.

The hard mentioned Shamrock Avenue Navan Rd. IIRC Shamrock avenue is down North Strand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

I'll say it again and again, The laws are too soft

Anyone know what street they're on at 0:07?

He's pulled over here on North Strand Road (which becomes Amiens St), just beside James Larkin House/ Shamrock Place.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3561804,-6.2447993,3a,75y,197.86h,67.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snGCy4LqzjjUEeJgvtObe-Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I'll say it again and again, The laws are too soft

looking from the outside in I think the Garda do their bloody good job ... and then the case comes to court and then either a bloody doddery old fart of a judge or dippy woman judge throws the bloody case out of court on a 'technicality' or loophole meaning all that fannying about that the Gards done to get it to court has been a complete and utter waste of time and resources. Not saying it happens a lot of the time but I do hear it quite occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭bigroad

The message from this drink driving add is,if you are going to drink drive ,DO NOT drive in the bus lane or you will be caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Self testing drink drive kits, my brother got one which you recharge and all that, but its pretty accurate.

http://www.irishbreathalyzershop.ie/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Archeron wrote: »
    The guard says to him you are being charged on this date at navan road station, but at the end of the ad he walks out of Pearse St. It's a good ad though.

The station he is brought to is Store Street Garda station, reason for this is because not every station has the evidence breathalyzer. Also in some cases, if you are arrested by a Garda for DD they may not be trained in the use of the machine so have to bring you to a station with one and a person who can use it.

Also the Garda in the video are not actors. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I was done for drink driving 20 years ago, fined and put off the road, best thing that ever happened to me because I learned my lesson and never did it again.

Although I've seen both sides of it because about 2 years after I was bagged my brother was crashed into by a drunk driver who it turned out was in the pub all day.

Joe was able to call the Guards after it happened but the people who came on the scene put him under a lot of pressure not to ring them at all.

Advertisement