Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kodi and Retropie

• 17-03-2016 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Been messing with retropie for a while now and have kodi on raspberry pi 2s around the house for media viewing for a number of years... so want to have a single rpi 2 in the familyroom with retropie and kodi on it.

Im not sure which route to take... retropie with kodi in the ports section

Or dual boot like berry boot where retropie and kodi separate.

If im honest we will be using kodi 80% of the time for movie watching and retropie 20%

Any previous experience of this? Any pros cons?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Access wrote: »
    Been messing with retropie for a while now and have kodi on raspberry pi 2s around the house for media viewing for a number of years... so want to have a single rpi 2 in the familyroom with retropie and kodi on it.

Im not sure which route to take... retropie with kodi in the ports section

Or dual boot like berry boot where retropie and kodi separate.

If im honest we will be using kodi 80% of the time for movie watching and retropie 20%

Any previous experience of this? Any pros cons?

Cheers

I find a dual boot a bit cleaner than the Kodi port in Retropie. But to be honest I dont use the Pi as my main media player, so haven't used it much.

One other option which I've done for another Raspberry Pi project recently that required 2 separate OS installs on the Pi was to install an SD card switch. Then I installed 2 Micro SD cards with the required builds and there's a hardware switch to swap between them.
    It's not for everyone, but worked for my needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Doing some work on the Pi tonight. Here's that dual MicroSD thing I was talking about.
    As all recent Pi's use MicroSD I also have an adapter cable that takes a regular SD card and converts the connector to MicroSD. So, lots of converting going on :)

jos7kXY.jpg

QYcXiou.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I, personally, will be going the lazy mans route and using two separate micro sd cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Thats pretty cool steve.

I dont know what to do at the moment as i had a problem tonight where im away on work and at home my wife and teenage son wanted to watch the newest episode of the walking dead... no problem you would think, but trying to talk him through retropie with kodi in the ports section (which i have set up the last few days ago) is a pain in the ass. gave up in the end!

I think i might just keep it simple and opt for the two separate cards to keep it simple.

I just know that second sd card will get lost though! :)

How does that one work steve? is it just a case of alternative power on and off swap the boot to the other card or something?

Edit... i think i see a micro switch to change between them?

Advertisement